1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GayGamer.net subject to hate crimes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Aug 2007.

1. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies about one of my favorite people, Steve Prefontaine. Upon his would be girlfriend asking him "if he believes in god", he simply said that "i believe in myself." Nothing you can say to that really and as DougEdey said, I think its really necessary to believe in yourself before believing in other things.

I won't go into religion at the moment but I don't mind gay people at all and I can understand why they'd want a gay gaming site but the reasons that have been mentioned in this thread already. And for those that are complaining that the "athiests" are impressing their own "religion" on the others just realize that its not about taking sides, its about using logic, reason and open-mindedness to formulate decisions based on those. Also, just because i may make fun of some people's religions (i have a few mormon friends) doesn't mean I'd rather they have mine. The world is more interesting when everyone has different beliefs.

2. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

What you smoking? - As a strong atheist its never the chrstian/islam religion thats objected to - its the xtian/islamist belief in convert or die that I find distasteful. Also the blatant twisting of the facts to try to reinforce their viewpoint. And your statement above is a prime example - I see zero evidence of anyone saying churches should be burnt down,,

3. Oclocker

Could be worse - could be scientologists :) At least the mormons dumped the racism in the 70's (not that scientologists are racist - theyre just nutcakes)

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

When it comes to Scientology, I agree with the German Government, they're a cult

5. Oclocker

Well Dennis Thatcher sure did !!

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

A guy married a goat remember|

7. Oclocker

butt did the goat consent and were there any kidds ? :)

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

They take the back enterance into the enemy base.

9. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Most religious people use logic to confirm their own beliefs - you just worked things out a different way. We simply don't have enough information to be sure there is no god, so to say that pure logic leads to atheism makes no sense.

It may be uncommon for atheists to want churches burned down, but it's also rare for religious people to want to kill atheists. The News makes us forget that violent fundamentalists are a very small minority. Most religious people would like to convert you for your own good. Christians, for example, often believe that if you don't worship God, then you will go to hell. I would consider it hurtful if someone was happy for that to happen to me without trying to do anything about it!

The problem with that sort of argument is that it starts with the assumption that the religion is wrong. You assume that religious people are opposed to homosexuality because a work of fiction told them so, or that they're pushing out their own prejudice. You fail to realise the other possibility. They may be right.

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Everytime there's a debate about sexual orientation or race, everyone always take this extremely seriously. I don't understand why , and no matter what argument you give me for a gay gaming community to exist, I will say it is completely useless and borderline stupid.

You KNOW most of the people, for some reason, can't accept there are gay people. You KNOW that by exposing your sexual orientation, there WILL be retarded 12 year olds who will bash you constantly for as long as they'll see you.

You KNOW all this, then why do you keep exposing this ? Why not keep it for yourself and just play the damn game ! I could not give a sh*t less if you like men or even dogs rather than women. I DONT CARE

No one needs to know your life and life itself shouldn't be mixed with freaking gaming

11. blade_10w40

blade_10w40 What's a Dremel?

I have no problems with religion and support people choice to believe whatever they wish. I have no problem with religion, aslong as it has no negitive effects on others. Unforuntatly homophobic views no mater how small have a massive knock on offect to closeted homosexuals(bisexuals, lesbians, transgendered....). Say you're 12/13/14 and your starting to have sexual feelings towards the same gender. First you've got to get over that yourself. You've probably never met a gay person, never known what they're like. The only time you've hurd of them is the camp steriotypes you see on TV or when someone was pissed off and called something gay. "That's ****ign gay, you're ****ing gay, everything's ****ing gay".

When you're starting to grow into your sexuality and the vast majority of the time you hear the word 'gay' it's being used as a derogitry term by pretty much everything it starts to stick. It must be bad, he must hate gays. I'm the only one. I'm some sort of wierdo that won't be accepted by man or beast. If your friends find out they'll diss-own you, let alone your parents (even worce if you're an only child like me). If I tell anyone they'll take the piss out of me, I'm never gunna find someone that excepts me. I'm gunna be alone, I'm always gunna be alone if I tell anyone.

This is hell and I would never wish it on anyone, but I wouldn't want to be straight. I might wish that I wasn't part of a minorty that's portrayed as badly as the gay comunity is. I wish there wasn't the hate or the uncontious slurs. Do you understand now why homosexuality isn't a choice? Do you understand now why the teenage suicide rate for LGBs is 4 times higher than they're straight counterparts (also take into acount the amount of kids that's sexuality isn't discovered, they don't make the statistics).

Small minded homophobia like this thread has seen IS a contributing factor to this. Trust me it's contributed to my speratic depression, something I suffer with very regulary.

But **** it, god knows best. He doesn't mind sinners ending they're lives does he. They just make up more room in hell.

12. blade_10w40

Because for years we hid in the shadows, hell for many many years I knew I was gay and sayed closeted, and you know what. It turns you're self worth to zero. You're worthless beacuse you can't even admit something that should be so ****ing trivial.

We have comunities like GayGamers so we can feel normal. There are people like us out there. We're not alone in the world. Something straight people take for granted far FAR to much.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Actually, assuming that the religion is wrong is much more logically sound than assuming it's right.

You can't prove that something doesn't exist (unless you're talking about something like a prime number larger than all other prime numbers or some other well-defined entity subject to logical scrutiny), so if you assume that God exists, how can anyone ever prove you wrong?

However, if you don't believe that God exists, but remain logically open to the possibility, then you can have it 'proven' to you that God exists, if given some kind of irrefutable, undeniable evidence of his existence.

Therefore, it's rationally better to assume that God doesn't exist, and wait to be proven wrong.
    Whether you expect that to happen or not is more of a judgement call and may be what seperates Agnostics from 'Strong Atheists'.

Infidels.org:
    As far as I'm concerned, an ancient, mistranslated book and a meme aren't enough to prove God's existence, and thus as far as I'm concerned, the Religions who believe in 'God' are therefore wrong.
    Not wrong in a moral sense, but in the sense of fallibility.. though when we see people like Topher spouting their hateful ******** based on religious 'reasoning' and magical thinking...well... you've just got to question the morality of the religion alongside it's fallibility, eh?

14. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Before I get flamed, I think I should say that although I'm not gay, I do have a somewhat unusual sexuality, and I know what it's like to be 'persecuted' because of who I am. I just respect peoples right to their beliefs, assuming they do the same. I have no problem with people being opposed to anything, as long as they don't force their beliefs on other people. Gentle persuasion, on the other hand, is fine. What happened here was wrong, but it was their attitudes, not their beliefs about homosexuality or religion, that were to blame.

15. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

I think everyone has it all wrong, if we let gay people congregate eventually there will be roaming packs of flaming homosexuals stealing peoples flair and anally violating unsuspecting citizens. It's a very serious threat, it's not like them being gay has no effect on anyone but themselves and doesn't do any real harm. Yeah, that's just a crazy view right there... Yeah...

16. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

I really dislike this argument because for one there is contradicting evidence to show if it's psychological or physiological, therefor it could go either way. With that in mind if it indeed was a choice would it still be okay to discriminate against people based on them making that choice? I'm going to have to go with no. That's why I don't like that argument, because it implys that it would be right to discriminate if it were a choice. It still wouldn't be right to discriminate even if it was a choice.

Eh...

Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav'n.

You seem a bit distraught, just wave that middle finger good and high. Eventually all of the homophobic people out there will realize how retard they are, either that or just have to STFU.

17. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

Last edited: 7 Aug 2007
  18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

19. blade_10w40

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Gotta love religion, it's the one thing in the world where, for many people, a lack of evidence constitutes proof. How screwed up is that?

On topic though, I think a lot of the disagreement on this thread stems not from homophobia, but almost from going too far the other way, people presume there is actually no difference between straight and gay people, that everyone is the same, when in reality there is a difference, and it varies between mundane and massive in some cases. Sites like gaygamer.net, and really any other speciality site, are needed because not everyone is the same, and we shouldn't presume they are.

Tags: Add Tags