News HDMI Premium Xbox 360 confirmed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Aug 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

This is good news, but doesn't that make the Elite a bit pointless, because the only reason people would buy the Elite over the standard models is because of the bigger included HD, black finish, and HDMI?

3. ohdarklord

ohdarklord What's a Dremel?

Your forgetiing its black and its got a bigger hardrive

Thats enough for your averge non technical person.

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Fixed :D

5. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Wonder will they offer a trade in deal for people without an HDMI port since I wouldnt mind having one or Ill just buy the elite even though I have the normal premium. Just want black comp to match black tv, computer, look nice.

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

had mind since launch working aswell as it did the first time i woke the breast

i would like that large HDD, but no bothered about HDMI as i have the HD VGA cable and that does 1080p anyway.

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

And what about the rest of us that already have HDMI-less 360's? Shafted? Or will MS or someother 3rd party come up with some sort of HDMI dongle for the previous incarnations of the box?

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Oh well I bought mine far too early then with the added cost of a VGA lead to get 1080p.

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I think MS should take our old 360's, and modify it for us, free of charge.

Sam

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This is actually on all 360s now. It's cheaper to make one motherboard then two

11. mikeuk2004

Anyone want to buy a premo 360 with VGA cable for the same price of a new 360??? :)

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I agree even though I can see others (read: MS) state it won't happen as it's the same as with GFX cards. You can't send it in as soon as the Ultra model is released to let the company overclock the card for you, right? Not that good a comparism but you can see what I'm heading for, don't you?

But right now all I hope for is the 360 Premium getting cheaper by Jan '08 in Europe so I can actually start getting serious with it. :)

13. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

This is fecking annoying for everyone who supported Xbox from the start and went out and bought it to now get shunned.
    Why didn't they produce them with HDMI from the start? Was it not viable because of costs or something?

14. mikeuk2004

Doesnt this defeat the whole point of a console. A console is non upgradable to guarentee you all get the same expereince and every game can play. With Ms making so many different versions, everyone will have different expereinces. Cores cant save games or download games with out expensive memory cards. Elites get better sound and 1080p from the box. etc

So now Ms will have 5 different versions of the console. 1) Core 2) Prem 3) Elite 4) Core with HDMI 5) Prem with HDMI

15. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Not really, manufacturers have always updated consoles. I remember the 32bit addon you could buy for the Megadrive, the PS2 came in different variations as well (hdd, USB / Fire / inbuilt IR etc).

Any it's just a extra connector no fundamental change.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Thanks - I'm glad someone else caught on to this. Adding an HDMI port to future models will in absolutely no way affect gameplay of current systems, just whether you're playing in HD with an analog or a digital signal. People who bought the core knew full well that they'd have to buy a memory card for it (or should have, anyways) and have no right to complain about its lack of hard drive. Just as you also knew that you wouldn't be getting HDMI. Sure, it's the principle of the thing I suppose, but if it cuts their costs so they can put more money into developing the Xbox 3 and make it better, cheaper, or more efficient, you won't complain.

Oh, the Sega 32-bit brings back memories. Can't honestly say I remember whether they were good or not, but I picked mine up for about twenty bucks and was able to make a ridiculously tall cartridge stack with it. And unlike with this case, there WERE games that required that add-on to play them.

If I buy a console, it's so I can play games without worrying about the latest and greatest hardware and not having to worry about buggy drivers and nonsense like that. It'll play my games just as well out of the box as it will five years from now, and they'll look just as good. At this point I'll probably wait for the HDMI version to be in the channel before picking one up (it was an awfully damn stupid thing of them to announce this two days after a price cut), but I'll end up using component video anyways.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2007
  18. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

That 3 year warranty is looking mighty useful now..... if mine dies in 6 months or so... yay!! new 360 with HDMI, cooler running etc.

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I fail to see what all the griping is about. If you go buy a graphics card and then a new one comes out, it's not like they owe you that. Nobody who bought a PS2 a year and some before the slim model came out was owed a new one. Products get refreshed over time or become cheaper, and usually it's a combination of both. HDMI was not all that popular even a year ago and people were already grousing about the cost of the consoles - so why would they add in a (then) expensive and superfluous extra?

How many of you snicker when you know someone who bought a high-end PC part to find out that they refreshed the lineup just a couple months later with something marginally better? Same deal...early adopters did/do/will always get shafted. A pound's a pound the world around, consoles aren't future-proof either.

20. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

I've known people to complain about free coffee.:duh: People complaining has always been popular, why they even make a department for them. :D

Tags: Add Tags