1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic won't make a PS3 UT3 demo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Aug 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

well, i've not got time to buy it then.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

no ps3 demo but a pc demo? sounds rather strange.. especially considering mark's anti pc but pro consoles statements a while back....

anyway.. i'm happy about... i'll always prefer the pc over consoles.

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

How about they want the game to be as perfect and bug free as possible so why are we obsessed with demos when they can harm the games development? And to all the PS3 owners, sucks to be you atm, as it sucks to be 360 own with your red ring and us PC owners with lack of new games and expensive constantly updating hardware.

Infact the only owner it doesn't suck to be is a Wii owner unless you're some kinda retard and throw the remote through your TV.....

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Demo's are a good thing, they let you gauge your interest in a game/does it live to expectations, work out how much your upgrade is going to cost. Although for a game like UT you know what's coming, the engine is every where so you know what hardware to expect. Lets hope that the ps3 loss is the pc gain and we'll get a game that doesn't need a huge patch on release day.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You don't need a UT3 demo on PS3, theres buggerall else to buy so it will sell anyway, all the PS3 owners hovering around game shops like junkies to a dealer waiting for our next game fix :D

Last edited: 28 Aug 2007
  7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this game is going to so f***** rock!!!!! YEAH!!!!!

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

why not just rent the game for a day or two to see if you like it? whats that cost, like 5 dollars or something.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Pay more to rent it? Sod that. Many, many more people would torrent it as thats free.

Sad and true.

10. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Why is a demo so complicated? Anyone know? Surely it's just the same as loading a level off a disc except the files are in a download and on the hard drive.... What specifically needs testing, that doesn't need to be tested for the full game anyway. A PC demo might be more complex as separate installers and Physx drivers and whatever are needed.. but a console game doesn't need that.

11. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

A demo still requires that you download the underlying engine that the game runs on. If that's not sorted, then the demo will be buggy and broken. I can't blame Epic for not wanting to release a demo. If they bodge it all together to get a demo out of the door, they have to then unbodge it, correctly fix the engine, and then ship the finished game late.

Franchises like UT and Doom tend to sell regardless, so I don't think a demo coming out a month or two after the game ships is really going to hurt sales all that much.

12. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

I LOLed :hehe:

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

many things, you have to create the demo from unfinished code, but still have to provide a working game thats not going to put people off, the final game might still be awaiting quite a few optimizations and somethings like AI might not yet be nailed down, also rather than supply gigabytes of data you want to make sure the package is as lean as possible, using only the needed textures, levels and other game data, this requires people to sort this out, then it needs testing and validation, this all takes time and people to do.

A demo is not simple on any platform.

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Did anyone buy UT2003? I bet it must have stung when UT2004 came out. I always thought it was mean of Epic to release essentually half a game, and then release the full version a year later. Probably hurt their sale somewhat.

I wonder if they'll include all the old UT2004 levels with the new UT as well? Requring... 12 CDs to install. :)

15. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

*puts his hand up :sigh:

BUT... if you purchased the UT2003, then you could purchase the UT2004 at a discounted price, I think it was by sending off some form and getting a voucher in return ??? I forget exactly, but I recall I was pissed I could have done so, after purchasing UT2004 :duh:

16. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I don't need a demo to sell me on UT3....but it would be nice to wet my whistle if you know what I mean....but I'm willing to wait especially if it means it debuting earlier and hopefully with less bugs/patches.....

17. Manny151

Manny151 What's a Dremel?

Not for PS3

With Blu-Ray they could probably fit it all on one disc. But nooooo people kept saying "There's no need for Blu-Ray on a console, they're just trying force their format on you, games fit just fine on a DVD9" yeah right DVD9 is already showing its age and its only gonna get worse. As far as the demo goes I don't care all that much, I'm sure the game is gonna be great regardless. I would've liked a demo but like I said, it wont put me off from picking up the game as soon as it comes out. One more great game for my PS3 collection. lol:thumb:

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i got UT2003, played that a lot, then 2k4 came out, and i got that too

i was a bit pissed i couldn't get it cheaper because I'm in the UK, bloody epic
    But UT2k4 was still an awesome game, and I'm eagerly awaiting UT3 - demo or not :D

19. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I'd rather have a game thats ready over a game thats had to be put back because they were forced to make a demo.

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

Is the PS3 version going to utilise a keyboard and mouse?

If not it's barely worth getting out of the PC chair to think about buying

Tags: Add Tags