1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full page ad

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by iwog, 31 Aug 2007.

1. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Flash adds are so horible to me they get bloked on site.. use tonnes of bandwidth move and use my CPU. Quite often I browse without images or style sheets aswell as sites are so bloated.

2. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

that is just hideous...

3. relix

relix Minimodder

I uninstalled the Flash plugin from my main browser, Opera, as well. Now I surf the web without flash by default, and if there's something I want to see, I use a custom-made menu-item to view the current site in Firefox, which does have the flash plugin installed. I have at any one moment about 500 tabs open in Opera so it would kill my system if they all had flash ads.

However, advertisement agencies are smart enough to replace the ads with animated GIF's, so I'm not missing out on anything ;).

It's funny how when they're paying big bucks to show something on external sites (ads), they do know how to make the content viewable for users who do not have Flash, but when it comes to full-fledged sites, those very same companies don't care about it... :rolleyes:

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

At least it's tastefully done.

I'm not really a far of any advertising, but I understand it's a necessary evil. If this is going to make you a stack of cash (I.e. a LOT more than the 'normal' ad setup) then I guess it's OK.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

No problem. I'll get to it sometime this weekend.

-monkey

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I just though i'd say that I love the new Scan full-page add.

Its big and bright but subtally done. :thumb::thumb:

7. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Glad you like it. Although it's actually it's a Nvidia promotion.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd steer clear of it tbh - they seem to be a bunch of loonies.

Much safer on these forums :)

9. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

bit tech front page 50% ad, 50% content. awful fact.

but you have to pay the bills so have to put up with it.

10. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

I think it looks very professional and it does not interfere with the contents.
    Actually, I wish more people would do things this way.

I would much rather have this type of advertising.

Plus it’s still free :D

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

hang on a second....

You are saying that the adverts have an equal quality and value as the actual content. That's just silly. If your just talking about the actual physical space reserved for each then fair enough. But that's not an awful fact. More of a fact. Or a vague observation.

12. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

Quite clearly not. That's just silly.

Well it is my opinion that when a site has to have 50% of its front page space sold to keep it afloat it is an awful state of affairs. are you saying that 50%of the page being used is a fictional estimate? because it looks a pritty factual estimate from where I am sitting.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

That we need to do this to stay afloat is a false assumption :)

14. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

But im assuming you needed the additional money? why otherwise would you increase the amount of ad space you are selling?

15. RTT

RTT #parp

edit: and there's that word "assuming" again ;) :)

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

There are lots of business reasons to go with an increase or rearrangement, be it temporary or permanent, in how we display ads. Partially, it's because the industry of advertising changes up how it likes to display things, meaning we have to go along with the trend, as it were. Sometimes, it's because we don't mind a tastefully done but oddly sized ad. Even better still, sometimes it's for a company that supports the modding or gaming community through our site by offering community prizes, etc... none of these things really have a direct correlation to our bankroll and each is still quite a valid reason.

I'm sorry if your immediate thought is to how poorly we must be doing if we were to have more or different ad layouts than what you've become accustomed to. However, often times there are a lot more reasons than just the simple "oh noes, it's goin down da tooooobbess!"

17. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

It depends on the cost. Nothing in life is free, all payrises that i have recived have come with conditions. such as increased resposiblity. higher targets to achive. and so on.

Now that I know that this increase in ad's was not out of nessesity but out of want. I am left asking myself will this trend continue?

increasing the ads that the community have to deal with to ensure that you get payrises even if you are perfectly confortable. you may think there is no costs such as the examples i gave above, but you will start to lose favor with the community that is your greatest asset.

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Sorry Mattt, I edited my reply as I feared the reply would be taken the wrong way, and it appears it may have been - my bad. I wasn't suggesting that we've sold this space to give staff pay rises - I was attempting to draw a parallel to the situation and why we've chosen to take this advertising on board :) Brett's (Dego) post is spot on, please read it :D

You don't have to worry that we aren't aware that we tread a very thin line between delivering good advertising and pissing people off. We are constantly approached by people to do x, y and z and we immediately turn down an awful lot of it because we know it won't be appreciated - even by ourselves, the staff. I cannot stress this final point enough - we absolutely bust our balls to bring good, relevant, interesting advertising to the readers and that will never, ever change :) We've made some bad decisions in the past (I can find threads for you if you like!) where readers have called us out on something - and we've acted by pulling an ad, fixing an ad or whatever was necessary. You're (all) our greatest asset and we fully know and realise that ;)

19. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

The Medal of Honor one was much nicer and better executed imo, you kind of loose the front page's structure in this one. Usability is higly deminished.

BUT on the flip side, it'll probably only be here for the week or so?

20. RTT

RTT #parp

Just for today actually!