1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft rolls out Windows XP SP3 beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Oct 2007.

1. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Wonder why they're trumpeting this black hole router thing so much... I don't think it's an issue I've *ever* noticed and I roam around a bit using internet from a lot of places, so far no suspiciously high packet loss etc... :eek:

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well no matter what Im waiting for SP1 of Vista before I make the full switch over... that is if I like what SP1 has to offer in terms of performance and so forth...

3. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Come on – Microsoft can make anything happen, that’s what they do, they’re huge software developers.
    So don’t tell me that Microsoft can’t get DX10 to run on XP!

Even if you do, I will still not believe you. :D

But I do understand the reasoning why this is happening.

Getting back to the original thread – I’m very much looking forward to XP SP3

4. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

You don't understand. They already did, and they rolled up all the massive changes involved into something called Vista. :)

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It's not like I really care at this point. Merely offering info in regards to the topic/subtopic. If I wanted DX10 I'd get Vista, which I plan on doing sooner or later. Time to retire my OEM copy of XP Pro; the disc is chewed to all-hell! :thumb:

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Microsoft recently ticked off the independent "service pack" creators/distributors, so the MS_SP3 one will mean you can do a fresh XP install and get reasonably up to date with security before you need to go online. :thumb:

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

for about a week

8. MrPras

MrPras What's a Dremel?

I have DX10 on my XP machine. It was provided by a friend to get Halo2 running on XP.

It does work. Basically it's running in Debug mode, but it still works.

Anyone who says XP can't support DX10 should look around for themselves instead of relying on the marketing engine of the worlds largest software corp for facts.

Fact is, DX10 like any technology COULD be built into XP. It runs. Fact, don't believe me? I don't care..

DX10 isn't available for XP because Microsoft want to push people towards Vista.

In my opinion, they should have kept the line of legacy compatible OS's (Vista included) intact and delivered DX10 for both.

Their next OS is supposed to be a jump (Vienna, Windows7, who knows what it will be called) and will not be based on Legacy OS (NT tech). They should have taken that opportunity to make a decision like this - forcing people to upgrade to Vista just creates resentments and gives the MS-haters more to whine about.

9. MrPras

MrPras What's a Dremel?

For those who want to try it

Download the dxsdk_apr2007.exe

copy the d3d10.dll, d3dx10.dll, d3dx10_33.dll, d3dx10d.dll, d3dx10d_33.dll, dxgi.dll and Nucleus.dll to xp system32

then open the SDK and start in debug mode (i forgot the exact details, my friend set it up for me - you can use google right?)

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

NO, that makes a translation from DX10 to DX9 so DX10 game works... but it run slower then in Vista, and you lose MANY of DX10 features.

11. ashwini

ashwini What's a Dremel?

hi,
    can anyone plz tell where i can get Nucleus.dll from? i tried searching the internet and my PC for it. but could not find it.

thanx in advance

12. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Halo 2 isn't really DX10, hell Halo 3 isn't really DX10 either .. Halo2 was "Vista only" which doesn't mean it won't run on XP, it means Microsoft don't want you running it on XP, there is a massive difference. (The same is true for the bulk of vista-only games so far as well)

13. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

AFAIK, Vista uses a completely different method for the kernel to address the graphics driver. I think the graphics drivers have (finally) been separated from the kernel layer. This is why, IIRC, the drivers for VISTA were so crap to begin with, the developers couldn't figure out how to get XP speeds without running the drivers in the kernel layer.

In XP, the drivers are integrated into the kernel and thus leave great gaping security holes open for any piece of malware to infect.

I could be wrong on this though.

Andy

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I thought the reason they pushed it out the kernal is so that if the gfx driver crashes, windows doesnt

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If I'm not mistaken completemadness is correct, which leads a bit to Shielder point.
    Proof, I saw it, with the early drivers for Vista for my Nvidia card, sometimes the drivers crashed (game + Windows interface are not visible), Windows doesn't freeze, and re-launches the drivers and you see your desktop right away with nothing lost (other then your game).

But on Shielder point, it is not to say that it is not impossible, just a different approach needs (and already is) done. On every driver update I saw so far, all I see is more and more stability (frankly I didn't see it crash for a while) and a visible performance increase.
    I think so far, for most new games, with the latest drivers you have near or the same performance as XP.

Tags: Add Tags