1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's LiquiD EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

An update from Tribal to come tonight (EDT) so we should be back on topic soon. :) He must be still :dremel:

2. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Update! God I spent a lot of time in the studio despite all the other running around I had to do. i had to take both my vehicles to the shop to get worked on. I took one car, got it back and then took the truck. I drove the care to studio with no problems. When I went to drive homeI ran out of gas! The fuel gauge is shot! always on full! Plus! The engine when you rev it up a little bit,... it cuts out and then rev's up again cuts out and so on. Kid of the the rev limiter but way to low in the rpms. I had to take it back and then pick up my truck. Thank god my truck is fine:) Anyways! So,... I did a lot of work in the studio but still didnt really get anywhere with these custom orders. I was having trouble making up my mind. I want these to be perfect. So I'm not taking any chances by experimenting with new stuff. Let me explain.

Oct-07-2007 (rDB324q, rDB756g, qHS987b)

First,... i polished up the FX's. OMG they look HOT! I dont want to give them away!!! HA HA HA. I said the same thing with the NKCM res:) I really need to make myself one of these.
    [​IMG]

Liquid blue,... water clear!!!
    [​IMG]

God I love this one,... the shiny tint with the dusted side is flippin amazing!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blue one with a bit of light,...
    [​IMG]

The red one,.... it does look a lot better in person. I had trouble getting the cam to focus.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now,... I was going to use these. Their 1/4" with a 1/8" groove. Very tight looking but weak. I decided not to use them. Instead of making wider ones I had an idea,...
    [​IMG]

New tools;)
    [​IMG]

Watch and learn,...
    [​IMG]

Uhh huh.
    [​IMG]

Yeaaaa.
    [​IMG]

Lets make more! Look at that! friggin .5!!! LOL. God I love turn cutting.
    [​IMG]

I love making small acrylic parts,... their so,..... cute.
    [​IMG]

Those little rings are 1/4"!!!
    [​IMG]

Going to drill through the larger ones,...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tah dah!
    [​IMG]

I'm going to glue it like this and then drill out after. Reason being that the only reall way to cut those 1/8" rods is by sanding or grinding them. But! they heat up so fast and with the sanding,... they craze when glued. Drilling after didnt turn out to be all that easy so I'm going to have to figure out another way to make this.
    [​IMG]

Curing,...
    [​IMG]

Drilled them out. Again,... PIA!
    [​IMG]

Very cool! Let me tell you ,... these little S@#$s are string too! I broke one just for the hell of it,... to see how strong,... and holy hell it gave a fight! I like these:)
    [​IMG]

Oh YEA! A new SpinFX right here!!! Not exactly like this but I definitely see myself passing these rods through one of those 1/4" rods in the same fashion:)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What you think? Think it will be cool?!?! I do!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok,... now. The idea ws to shape the smaller discs to contour the inside of the FX's but doing that is not that easy. It's got to be a flush fit. If its not flush enough it wont hold. Last thin I want to for these things to fall apart. So,.... I'm aborting this idea for now. I'm just going to use the other kind just a bit wider though, for strength. The only way I see using these is by having the little posts pass right through the FX. I am pretty sur eI can do that. I wanted to do that now,... but I would most likely have to remake the FX's because drill holes in them evenly would be a pain. I would have to drill tiny pilot holes first before wrapping them.
    [​IMG]

Anyways,... I had to step away from those. I been working on those for I dont know how long. This is something I have been wanting to do for sometime now. Resealable reservoirs.
    [​IMG]

This is one piece by the way:) I was a 3/4" block that I cu down to 1/2" and then did a good workup on it:) Its not perfect but it's good enough to know that it works. I'm going to make a full SpinFX reservoir using these after I'm done with the custom's.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

This is the wrong size o-ring. I got the right size on it's way.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Instead of using an 1/8" acrylic rod for the FX to spin on,... the new reservoirs are going to have a polished 1/8" aluminum rod which doubles to hole the reservoir closed:) The o-ring around the rod gets compressed when you close the reservoir. I'll explain all this later on. the rod does not spin,... the FX spins on the rod.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is going to be hot!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More to come later.

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Damn, you are the master of small acrylic parts :D

Those new designs look really hot and did I mention already that your patience knows no limits :hehe:

Darkened

P.S. I think I never got around to thanking you for the polishing tips, well here we go, THANK YOU!

4. nibble

nibble What's a Dremel?

Looks great as always tribal, but I would not put any aluminium in contact with the water. Why? Because of galvanic corrosion, if you've got electrically disimiliar metals in contact with water in the same loop one will get corroded by the other, a modern high performance watercooling system will use copper blocks and there you have two dissimiliar metals, the copper will corrode. Use brass, copper or stainless steel instead, a lot safer. Unless I'm missing something and the alu is not in contact with the water :confused:

5. tribaloverkill

You are right! The rod is in contact with the water and I ordered some copper rods last night at work which just showed up at my door just now?!?! Holy crap that was fast shipping!!!

6. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Holy crap is right. Thats FAST!

7. nibble

nibble What's a Dremel?

Man I wish I'd get some of the stuff I order half as fast.
    Anyway I'm definately going to be stealing your res "inserts" idea if that's cool with you, something along the lines of the coil style ones :D

8. tribaloverkill

Go for it.

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

grrr sorry edited do to the smily face nmot working...

10. tribaloverkill

Ok,.... I got an update. But didnt have time to post it. I'm prototyping the new style reservoirs. I'm actually going to post pics of my cutting the end pieces with press turning because its cool looking BUT I am still not cool with you trying. It might look easy in the pics I am going to post but I assure you it's friggin dangerous as hell.

11. C:\Joshy

C:\Joshy How much cake can you eat in a min?

:thumb:looks sick!! lyk them curly things [lol watever you call them]

12. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Yay! update. Can't wait to see the prototype.

@c:\Joshy: I think they are called SpinFX.

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Nice work :thumb:

14. Teyber

Teyber ******

i promise i won't try... But what did you think about putting them on a hand drill(vario speed) and pressing them against a sanding board?

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The problem with that way is they will come out wobbly.

16. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

Wonderful just wonderful work you are doing :rock::clap::rock::clap::rock:

17. tribaloverkill

Check it out!

Oct-15-2007

First,... I wanna to let everyone know that people are having trouble with the xPO's. The tops and bottoms are coming off. The reason being is that I am pretty sure that I forgot to clean the mating surfaces before gluing. It is not because I did not use enough glue. That is not how it works. I did not sand and polish off any of the glue either. The glue isn't realy a glue at all. It's actually a capillary chemical that reacts with the acrylic and melts it. Its water thin and flows INTO the joint. once the chemical reaction is over,... there is nothing left behind other then the bonded acylic. Now,... the mating surfaces have to be near perfect for bonding. That being flush, clean, and with no more or less then 220grit sand marks. The grit marks help the solvent flow into the joint. Now in my case,... I am thinking that I sanded all the pieces, left and went home. The next day when I got back I just started gluing and forgot to check if they were cleaned. This is a very stupid mistake. It took me about 3 - 4 months to make all those reservoirs in the studio. 30 xPO's, 30 sPL's, and 30 sets of shields. It took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer then we thought. I am not going to be doing anything like that until I have proper machinery to carry out such a task. The sPL's seem to be fine. I made them first way in the begining and it only took me a few days I think to make those, maybe a wekk I think. I wasn't as fatigued at that point to make a stupid mistake. My apologies for the trouble.

If you have a defective xPO,... you need to email me so that I can can fix it for you. Below is one that I just got done fixing. All is well. I fixed two of them so far. My email is tribaloverkill@yahoo.com. Thanks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So! Time to prototype something I've been wanting to do since the begining the the SpinFx reservoirs. Reservoirs that you can re-open and change out the FX inside. These new reservoirs are a series of parts. ACRyan is wanting to make some stuff of mine now sooooo,... I'm going to tell them to start here. Anyways,... I ordered some stuff I need. I just ordered some more stuff and I'm waiting for it. Should come today.
    [​IMG]

Some Buna o-rings,... both 3/32" thick and one with a 1-7/8"ID and the other with a 1/16"ID. I also bought two more lathe bits. I have another coming it the mail. All this is on a huge sheet of 3/4" acrylic.
    [​IMG]

Thick as hell.
    [​IMG]

Lathe bits.
    [​IMG]

This bit I use the most with the drill press. Used for cutting and facing.
    [​IMG]

I'm cutting off a couple of these 3" by however long it is,...
    [​IMG]

Used the mitre saw to cut up the strips into 3"x3" squares.
    [​IMG]

I need the trim the 3x3's down thickness wise. 3/4" is too thick. I need them to be 2-1/16" thick. This is how im going to do it. This block I cut squared using the mitre saw.
    [​IMG]

Taping the block off and the one side of each piece. Gluing them to the block.
    [​IMG]

Put the whole thing back into the mitre with the wood block touching the fance not the acrylic. I'll shave off 1/16" each time until I get really close to my target thickness and then its,... cutting off hairs until I an just above my target thickness. I do not want to hit my target. Theres a reason.
    [​IMG]

Cut down.
    [​IMG]

Very nice.
    [​IMG]

You would think that teh blade would melt the crap out of the acrylic but it didnt. It actually left a VERY nice and smooth surface. Very impressed.
    [​IMG]

That day is over. Didnt get to spend much time in there that day. Here is some other stuff I ordered and got from ACRyan.
    [​IMG]

Stuff from ACRyan. I got like every fan color and different sizes,... and some other stuff cool stuff.
    [​IMG]

Sent me some of the AluBoxes. These things are nice! I have plans for these:)
    [​IMG]

MeshX and MEshHEXX in both black and silver.
    [​IMG]

Some aluminum rods, copper, nylon I bought.
    [​IMG]

Some UV blue hose,.... that really isnt UV at all?!?! It's still nice though. Maybe if I run UV blue coolent though it it will look a bit more UV. I dont know.
    [​IMG]

10 chrome shower hoses!!! LOL!!! Damn thats a lot,...
    [​IMG]

A baby mouse,...
    [​IMG]

Ok,... here's the squares all bored out.
    [​IMG]

This is how I tap now. I run it as low as it will go,... I think 280rpm. The tap is taped to a socket extention thing. My threads are straight as hell! Only thing that sucks is getting the block off. I have a a huge blister from all the turning.
    [​IMG]

Nice G1/4 threads.
    [​IMG]

Wham. This is how I turn my acrlyic on the press. The wood donut holds the acrylic stready and straight while cutting. How straight?
    [​IMG]

This straight. 1560rpm,...
    [​IMG]

Spiderman was here,...
    [​IMG]

Beautiful,...
    [​IMG]

More beauty,...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lovely.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Holy S@#$,... this stuff is like annoying! I mean it kinda resembles webs,... its statically charged so it clings,...
    [​IMG]

Spiderman,... chill! I didnt kill your damn grandpa!!! Go away!
    [​IMG]

O-rings!!!
    [​IMG]

Thats a crappy pic,...
    [​IMG]

Almost done.
    [​IMG]

you see the little holes in the center. I still have to cutg a sink there for a small o-ring. I coutnersunk the port holes to sink the o-rings of the fittings so they are not so visible above surface. Plus the countersink pinches the o-ring against the fitting a lot better. Better seal.
    [​IMG]

Like this,... The o-ring has to be above the surface like this. It has to be compressed to make a good seal. I have to be carefull drilling that sink,...
    [​IMG]

I thought I would slow the bit down because the bit is kind of a big step from the 1/8" hole thats already there. Well,... this is what happened,... so I bumped the press up to 1250 and altered the bit a little to cut acrylic better.
    [​IMG]

Anyways,... here's the bottom of the end pieces.
    [​IMG]

This is pretty much what the final product will look like. The copper rod basically has three jobs. Main job is to keep the end pieces from coming off. Second,... act as shaft for SpinFX. Lastly,... compress the o-rings around itself. Now,... The copper rod doesnt really have to try hard to keep the end pieces on because the end pieces are REALLY on there. I had to vasoline the o-rings a bit to get them on. Once lubed they went on easily actually. When the orings are dry its almost impossible. Water helps too but vasoline is best. You dont need a lot. Just a bit on your fingers, rub it into your finger tips and then just rub it on the o-rings a bit. Them beign tight like that ensures a good seal. You can see the o-rings mashed against the inside wall. The inside edge of the reservoir bodies are countersunk to help get the o-rings on. So the only real strength needed to to compress the o-rings around teh rod itself which doesnt require much strength at all. It's a pretty simple but sweet way of doing it.

There will be two sizes available, a 4" body and a 7" body. Of course I can make custom sizes in teh studio for you if you want;) This is the start. I am going to be making my own acrylic plugs for LED's and possibly temp probes. I'm also going to be making brackets to mount these things too. There will be many accessories for them. The idea is that you can buy them whole or just buy the parts. ACRyan will make these. Hope you like them. They can be used just like this. I will be making dual brackets too so you can create dual res tank type setup. I have tons of S@#$ lined up. As I said this is the start right here.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

they look great ...... as soon as I see one availible to me here in Germany I'll be
    getting one of the larger ones ...... :thumb:

Alan

19. tribaloverkill

Cool. I'm going to use one for Blackout. One made by ACRyan that is:) I dont feel like turning anymore of the end pieces,... it sucks using a drill press to do it:(

20. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

I bet it does ........ wrong tool for the job ........ I've done crazy things like that in the past,and....
    cut off the tip of my index finger on my left hand and I should know better ,(retired experienced machinist:duh:)....and I'm lefthanded ...........

Alan