1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Classic FPS/RPGs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CardJoe, 21 Oct 2007.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'll get you next time Joe!

2. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

The latest on seems very bugger. Not palyed it online though. Whats that like?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Splinter Cell - a franchise I've played and enjoyed but did not consider. We have a winner.

How many people would be interested in a set of Bit-tech TF2 matches? Staffers versus Readers?

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I have to disagree, at its time it was good. I never played IGI 2 so have no idea how that turned out. I did buy it and had to return it back to game because it would not run on my poor Pc at that time.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Splinter Cell is a great game. I played through and completed the first one when I got my original xbox for christams 2003. Splinter cell reminds me of christmas as it was a good one that year and brings back the memorys.

I have pandora tomorrow on Pc that came with a VGA card but never got round to playing it yet. I also have Double agent on 360, although my Live profile shows I completed it, I have not because and not got round to playing it. My bro used my profile by mistake. chaos thery, well never seem to of bought that one.

I might buy the first 3 splinters cell's on xbox if they all work on BC and play through as one story with double agent and then finish with conviction when its released. That would be a marathon of a gaming session. :)

I will play these games, but when you got so many you forget they are there.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I really enjoyed the first splinter cell, but the trial and error system it uses is really annoying, get to checkpoint, carry on, die, reload and get past that bit, die at the next bit, go back, get stuck at the first bit for half an hour again even though you found that bit easy after the first few attempts.

The first was the best IMO, didn't like Pandora Tomorrow or whatever it was called as much, I haven't really played chaos theory though and haven't touched double agent yet.

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

How about No One Lives Forever or its sequel?

8. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Nolf was awesome. Cate Archer is a babe :p

I liked Chaos Theory more then I the other Splinter Cells. Being able to shank anyone with the knife was awesome. Plus, hanging upside down and snapping necks was a blast in Multi-player

9. CardJoe

Already discussed :p I've played NOLF 1 about twenty times and I'm a bit sick of it. I can do the levels blindfolded and really want something new. NOLF2 has sound problems with my new vista install, and the level range tends to much to the stealthy instant-game over scenario for my tastes. The Russian levels are great though.

I think I've settled on one anyway. I had a look back as Splinter Cell and realised I again didn;t like the instant capture scenarios from the first and I didn't want to pay for the new ones.

So, I'll be playing Thief: Deadly Shadows, which I only finished once. Then Deus Ex 2 if I can get it to work on Vista.

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

If it's not been mentioned, try Heretic II. There was some hype when it came out in 1998--I thought the game looked too freaking awesome--and it's a FPS RPG.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

ooo Thief, there's a game I haven't got round to playing yet. I know, I know.

12. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Morrowind is old, but its a good one if you haven't played it before. The only thing that bugs me about it is the lack of a compass of any kind.

I recently reinstalled Iron Storm, and its pretty fun. You would have no problems running it (its about 7 years old if I remember correctly).

Sid Meiers Pirates is fun, but I find it gets kinda old.

And finally, if you like any kind of DDR game, Stepmania is always good for killing a few minutes. It's open source, so its free, and you can download songs that you want to play.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I really enjoy that game but it gets old a bit too quick.

They've only gone and put Deadly Shadows on Steam, now I have no excuse not to buy it, is there any particular reason I'd need to play them in order though?

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

What, you mean the autosaving? I dunno about 1 and 2 as I have the Xbox version of them, but 3 has a standard F5 quicksave on the PC. And I like it the best of the three (haven't played #4), though that could be because it's the first I played.

16. CardJoe

Not auto saving, just that it was "You mess up, you die" a lot of the time in the first one when I played it. I got bored of it. But that was a long time ago.

Not at all really. You just need to read the manual. Semi-spoiler Free synopsis of 1 and 2 (i.e, no big twists or details, but a general outline):
    Garrett, the main character, was a street orphan who was picked up because he managed to almost pick the pocket of a Keeper - a secret society of highly trained warriors and seers who use a special type of magic to protect the world. The Keeper was impressed with the young starving boy ("To spot a Keeper is no easy feat boy, especially one who does not wish to be seen..") and took him in.

Garrett trained with the keepers, but was an arrogant child and left to become a freelancing thief. The Keepers kept trying to woo him back and, in number one, he becomes embroiled in the plot of a fallen god, called The Trickster, who was trying to destroy the world with a load of following pagans. They ripped out Garrets eye after using him. Garrett used the help of the Hammers (think hardcore Catholic Engineers) and The Keepers to stop the plot, but wouldn't return to The keepers.

In number two a new faction rises, called The Mechanists. Think hardcore catholic engineers with better technology. Everything about them is suspect and Garrett again becomes involved, this time allying with The Pagans and The Keepers against The Mechanists. The Hammers help out by making him a mechanical aye. Garrett saves the day and re-enters The Keepers because they reveal that they let him leave because there are future prophecies about him. Garrett wants that knowledge.

It sounds complicated, but it's not. That's the boiled down version though which just covers the important bits which will be referenced a bit in 3. I suggest playing 1 and 2, or at least watching the cutscenes (the voice acting is so cool). I actually watched my dad play number one before I got the guts to play it myself and the game is pretty damn scary at bits. Number two is more of an action thriller and number 3 is more of a mystery-adventure.

Three is the last chapter in the series but was built to be played alone if you wanted. One and Two are decent and possibly better games, but getting them working can be a real bitch. If you're really into stealth games and in-depth stories then it's worth the effort, otherwise you can play number three and then come back to the other two later.

Man, you just reminded me about how much I love the Thief games. I built a real attachment to the character and have very fond memories of playing with my Dad. I may have to go play them again now. :D

Last edited: 24 Oct 2007
  17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sweet, definitely gonna try to play them in order, I found 1 and 2 on play for a fiver but I'm loathed to buy from sold out software.

18. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Just started playing Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 again, having fun with those. If you liked those Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty good.

19. CardJoe

...But it's also a little buggy. Besides, I already played that too :p

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Bah, don't think Thief is going to work, I get an error message when it tries to load up a level saying Direct3D device isn't reporting texture memory usage or something like that. Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

EDIT: Turned down the hardware acceleration, error went but the level didn't load, was just met with a black screen.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2007
Tags: