1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Do parents have a say in the games children play?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If you ask parents what they think about computer games, they'll respond that they're concerned and worrisome. I suspect you might also be able to prove that they're concerned and worrisome about food additives, cellphone transmitters and man-made fibres in their little ones' bedtime clothes. It is the job of parents to worry and be concerned, and one they generally take to like fish to water, especially if you ask them questions like "you're worried your children being turned into mass murderers by explicit violence in computer games, aren't you?"

At the end of the day some of them are also concerned and worried that they might have to live out a post-mortem eternity of fiery punishment if their invisible, imaginary friend from the big place in the sky doesn't get enough kneeling and praying out of them. Some of them are also bringing their children up to live in fear and trepidation of this sword-and-sorcery pyromaniac.

And that makes me very, very concerned and worried.

Phil

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i agree with Phil Rhodes.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Obviously they're not concerned enough about their children's well-being with their indifference to climate change and its future consequences.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

If they are that concerned and worried about the content of certain games then why are they buying them or even allowing them to be played by kids in the first place?

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

That is the 6 million dollar question...

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

here's a thought, parents.

instead of bitchign and moaning about how you have no idea what your kids are playing, how about this:
    The next time little Johnny asks you for grand murder death kill simulator:sexy city hooker time VI, instead of, oh, y'know, doing what you normally do, try this: LOOK AT THE BLOODY BBFC CERTIFICATE ON THE FRONT.

it won't kill your kids to say no to them sometimes. my parents did it to me (gasp! i know! what a deprived child i must have been; didn't get everything i asked for!) and i turned out OK ( i think...)

Last edited: 4 Dec 2007
  8. Major

Major Guest

When I was young, I used to lie quite a bit to buy a 16+ game, and used to go nuts a little, heheh.

But as graphics is quite realistic now, I think parents are worrying more than before, alot more.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I wish my parent would believe that, I struggled to get Call of Duty 2 even though I was paying and was over the age limit :( oh well, I love them really :p

10. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Quite frankly, parents should just ****ing grow up a little.

Sorry for the harsh words, but if your child is young enough, or has such A weak mind that he would be so badly influenced by A game to go out and kill someone, then he shouldnt be playing the game in the first place, let alone own the console...

11. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Ditto.

12. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

QFT!!

13. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

fod is correct, and this study is too small a sample size and too skewed to be of any statistical value.

when will people learn to grow the F*** up and when will parents in this day and age start doing their damn jobs

14. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I'd agree with Cptn-Inafinus, instead of being worried about it, why not put a bit more effort and bring your kids up so they won't be affected by games? Both I and my sister have been brought up sensibly enough so that we can treat games as exactly what they are; games!

RwD

15. walle

walle Minimodder

People tend to refute any negative impacts violent video games might have on our youngsters, and most often they refute them out of reflex action.

16. Jazza

Jazza What's a Dremel?

how many times has manhunt 2 been rejected i mean come on games do not turn us into maniacs, i mean i for one and and nearly ;) all of you out there will not go on a violent rampage after playing a violent game. As or little kids parents shouldn't buy them games like manhunt or let them play them especially if they are under 10 as at that age they do not fully understand the aspect of a game and real life.

p.s when i watch bruce lee films i still feel like a pro kung fu fighter for a whiile after watching it and i'm 17! but that doesn't mean i find someone to fight lol

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

QFT.

That threat is abstract and distant. Perceived danger is in part a function of immediacy and familiarity. More children die by drowning in the swimming pool in the back garden every year, than through artificial food ingredients, video games or even guns.

Assume, like, responsibility?!? Are you insane?!? :p

Psychological reactance, more like. Violent videogames do have an impact on childrens' behaviour in laboratory conditions, but it is not clear what that means for real life. Generally the effects observed are rather small and clinically insignificant.

18. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I see no problems with fighting and shooting games, a lot of them are quite sporting. I do however have a problem with games like manhunt 2 and postal, where there's an emphasis on mutilating. I don't think I would ever my future child get one of those, but them playing an fps like UT3 when they're 10 doesn't concern me.

There are adults who buy into the video game violence destroys society thing way too much though. Last christmas my 5yo cousin was playing simpsons roadrage and drove through some people. It's a childrens game so this pushes the people over, no one dies. Despite this my uncle immediately says "Now he's going to think it's ok to run people over in real cars." It kinda hurts me that someone related to me could make such a blind retarded statement. I mean, even if it was true, in a decades time when my cousin can learn to drive, society will have taught him better. I feel so sorry for my uncles son, I'm pretty sure he will never be allowed the joy of video games, not even Nintendo D:

Tags: Add Tags