1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Hey Kylevdm, don't sell yourseft short bro, just give it a chance and take your time remember we all were new to this at one time too. That is why we are all here so if you had any questions we are here to help.

Some good tips...

SU Video Tutorials they are the best, you can check them out HERE.

Another good source is YouTube, just type SketchUp in the search box and have fun.

Even though you don't have a lot, patience is the key when working especialy with 3D modeling programs and SU is one of the best userfriendly ones out thier. Now if we were talking 3D Studio Max or Maya3D then....forget it, my brain hurts just thinking about those apps.

Learn your tools, that is half the battle right their.

Don't be hesitate to ask questions, we in this forum are still learning to master this great program and I for one am not a guru of SU far from it but their are a lot of great resources out there just have to look.

You mentioned that you did a case, what problems are you having? If you would like, we could make this an exercise for you.

@Beast, in the immortal words of that beer commercial "I LOVE MANNNNN!!!!":thumb: Hey buddy have you heard of MOI? Their is a 30 day trial but I'm sure you can :naughty::naughty::naughty:. It can export out to SU, it is soppose to be as easy to learn as SU and they have some video tutorials too. I have tried it and it works although I have not spent a lot of time with it yet but it may solve your hual problem. I have done few curve components in SU in the past what seems to be your problem? Can I help in any way?

TY Dark~3nergy, yeah the tire turn out great, just wanted something simple nothing too funky.

Jez just email me and the new GPU cards are now up at the site with the correct picture assignments. Enjoy and thanks Jez.:thumb:

Scooby;)

2. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I downloadd the trial last week but I could only use it 2 days then it said that my trial verison was over :confused:

Last edited: 25 Feb 2008
  3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Why are you sugesting MOI???

have you ever heard of AutoCAD Inventor??? or SolidWorks???

My favorite program to use at school is Inventor. It's a great programs. And Solidwork is just plain cool. It has a steep learning curve but once you get used to it it's tits. It can even do vitural stress-test. Right now we are designing trusses and stress-testing then

I try to get Solidworks screen shots when I'm done

Any suggestions for a new SU project????

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

A Helicopter. Something like the Comanche.

5. Noswal

Noswal What's a Dremel?

Or something like the banshee unit in starcraft 2

6. scooby

scooby Minimodder

@Beast, I only recommended MOI cuz it is a little more user friendly and like you said AutoCAD Inventor and SolidWorks has a steep learning curve. I agree with you that those apps are far superior but for a beginner those apps are very overwhelming. As for very simple ergonomic shapes MOI is very easy to use. I think the best will come down to what ever 3D application your comfortable with.

Try these suggestion bro...

Jessica Alba, your ultimate home, a hovercraft, mechanical insects, the ultimate war machine, Sponge Bob Squarepants....

7. The_Beast

thanks for all the suggestions

I think I start on "the ultimate home"

8. ngoc341

ngoc341 Google Sketchup - make it Real

My friend, his project:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :D

Sketchup modelling:
    layout:
    [​IMG]
    object 1
    [​IMG]
    all object
    [​IMG]
    arrange plan side
    [​IMG]
    Render with Vray trial 30days
    [​IMG]

Sorry if there are too many

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

sorry to start discussion, but that looks like a rip of another very popular build around here... (front and rear eh?)
    hope you can pull it off as well as they did. That design looks great and is a very interesting frame!

regards

10. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Excellent work ngoc341!!! I assume the panels will be made from plexi or lexon (?spelling?)...right? Looks like a great start for a great project. Let us know how the progress is going and cool rendering, I haven't tried Vray yet but the render look great.:thumb:

BTW new and improved models coming soon....Scoob.

11. The_Beast

I worked on this most of the day getting everything right :rock: :thumb:

Iso Boat
    [​IMG]

Top Boat
    [​IMG]

Side Boat
    [​IMG]

Back Boat
    [​IMG]

Edit:That's 70' of balls to the walls boat :hehe: :rock:

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  12. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Beast Man!!! That is wicked!!! That thing looks like it could fly, well done bro, well done.

A while back I did the Alum 120mm and Alum 80mm fans which were my very first models for SCC, since then I have learned a lot more and have improved my skills a little since then so I decided to redo those fans and added a few more to the line. These models are more accurate and more uniformed in style.

EverCool 120mm x 25mm Alum Fan
    [​IMG]

EverCool 92mm x 25mm Alum Fan
    [​IMG]

EverCool 80mm x 25mm Alum Fan
    [​IMG]

EverCool 70mm x 15mm Alum Fan
    [​IMG]

EverCool 60mm x 25mm Alum Fan
    [​IMG]

Jez should have them up some for everyone to use soon. Thanks Jez.:thumb:

Scooby:eyebrow:

13. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Nice fans there.. how did you model the blades?

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks like a standard centre hub with different blades each time

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

that is awesome!
    (but you'd need something to tie the hull's prows together.)

16. The_Beast

prow means front right???

thanks scooby and jezmck (I'm still working on the house)

17. scooby

scooby Minimodder

@Beast, can’t wait to see your super extreme home. I know for sure it will have a kicka$$ entertainment room.

@Jez, did you get the files I sent you with all the new fans?

@’91 and sheninat0r, each fan was modeled base on each of their own characteristic so each one is unique on it’s own even the center blade hubs.

TUTORIAL
    I did a short tutorial on how to make the blade I did for my fans. It’s a simple process and by no means the only way to do them, this is just how I made them and hope it will work for you. That said, this process can also be used for other desired shape you wish to create based on your models needs.

Image (A) shows the ID (Inside Diameter) of the fan and the center hub. As you can see I added a 1mm circle inside the larger circle as a boundary for the blade. (B) I set the weight and length for the blade.
    A.[​IMG]B.[​IMG]

(C) Using the "Arc" tool I proceeded to create the blade (use your judgment on this). (D) Now you have your blade ready.
    C.[​IMG]D.[​IMG]

(E) I then created a rectangle around the blade. (F) Copied and moved the copy just above the original. At this point you will need to delete the blade lines from the copy which will leave you with just the rectangle that you will extrude using the "Push/Pull" tool.
    E.[​IMG]F.[​IMG]

(G) Now that you have extruded the rectangle, use your "Arc" tool again and create the curve of your blade. (H) Using the "Push/Pull" tool you will end up with your final blade shape as seen below.
    G.[​IMG]H.[​IMG]

(I) Using the "Push/Pull" tool we will now select the rectangle from the original blade model below and extrude it passed the curved model you created earlier as seen below. (J) At this point we will select the whole model and right-click and select "Intersect with Model". Once completed delete everything and you'll end up with what you see here. NOTE: If your working with a smaller model you may want to increase the models size as SU is very size sensitive and may render incomplete renderings ie...missing faces.
    I.[​IMG]J.[​IMG]

(K) At this point you will delete the outer edges and your final blade is now reveled, now you should create a "Group" or a "Component". Almost done now. (L) Select your "Rotate" tool and rotate you blade to the desired angle. NOTE: Be aware of your faces, you don't want to see Blue at all.
    K.[​IMG]L.[​IMG]

(M) Top view and the drawing done earlier is brought in. I used the "Polygon" tool to create a heptagon (a figure with 7 sides) as I will want seven blades. The heptagon is for reference. (N) With the first blade selected and now using the "Rotate" tool and hitting the "Ctrl" for multiple copies, moved the copy to the first segment on my heptagon then typed 6x in the "VCB" (Value Control Box) and hit "Enter" and BAM!!! Al done.
    M.[​IMG]N.[​IMG]

Now your blade are ready to spin, just assemble the center hub and the rest of the fan frame and your good to go.
    O.[​IMG]P.[​IMG]

This is just one of many ways to produce this part. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and hope it all make sense. If you have any other question let me know and I'll try my best to answer them.

Scooby:thumb:

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very nice guide :thumb:

19. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Great tut Scooby!
    All those fans have now been added.

20. swift_wraith

swift_wraith I love you Pig.

anyone up for a challenge? am after an antec p182 case.