Windows counter strike: source: worst game ever?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jordan Wise, 10 Mar 2008.

1. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I downloaded counter strike this afternoon expecting to get a really good game that people just can't seem to stop ranting about, even 3 years after release. What did i get? Possibly the least amount of fun i've had on a 'game' ever. The first server i tried to get on was downloading some kind of sound pack for about 30 minutes before i got fed up and tried another server. This seemed to be a valve map as it loaded in about a minute. I was in it for about 5 minutes, 0 kills, 4 deaths, and the admin kicked me, probably for being a noob. I didn't even fire one bullet. Got into another server where you had to rescue hostages and was in that for about an hour and a half, of which i played less than 20 minutes. The rest? watching everyone else fight. I'm no stranger to shooters and quite frankly kick arse in most games but counter strike seems so restrictive to new players that I don't know why anyone bothered in the first place. It looks like you must know every part to every map just to compete. I've never had this with other 'well established' online games, i only got battlefield 2 last spring and i picked that up and soared up the scoreboards without any problems at all. SO in summary, i'm not going to waste my time on it, other games are far more deserving of my attention.

Anyone else here thought similar?

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

One of the things you picked up on is true, key to the game is knowing the maps well.

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I play it now, only for fun mind. But once you know what the jist is, and don't mind feeling like a noob for a week or so, its good. *awaits flames*

4. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

LOL. QQ more.

5. Major

Major Guest

You've had a case of noobness + connecting to shite servers. ;)

You need to play a game for at least a week or two to even begin getting fairly good at. Join good servers and get a feel for the game.

6. kempez

kempez modding again!

Play some deathmatch, that's always a good laugh :D

CSS is a very very hard game to get good at quickly, you need to really know the maps and be very good to even get a kill (on decent skill servers anyway)

I like the game but it is a little dull now after a few years of playing it

Try CoD 4??

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I love it :) Don't play enough these days, but its one of the very few great team-based games.

8. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

LOL, classic.
    I haven't played it much recently, i picked it up with Half Life 2, but I sucked at it, you've really got to know the maps, and it's different in some way, but it's what makes it counter strike, and you really have to play as a team to succeed, it's not BF2 where you can run ahead and cap a base by yourself because the other team is lazy, I love playing BF2, but it's not the same game.

9. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I was really addicted to CS:S for a good year or so (started mainly because I had to RMA my graphics card, and CS was the only game my cheap spare one could play!) and ended up getting Call of Duty 4. What a mistake that was, I've already wasted 7 days and 11 hours of my life on it, so addictive. I tried CS:S again about a week ago and hated it.

10. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

You've obviously never seen the /played of WoW players.

EDIT: Should have considered the timeframe in which the game has been released(COD4)

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
  11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

You touched on something I agree with: custom content that's utterly unnecessary. I get fed up with spending 8 minutes downloading sounds, sprites, models, maps, game plugins, and music to play f*cking Counter-Strike. This is something Valve should have implemented since the day I started playing way back in 1999: content filtering for servers and screen those with plugins.

12. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Counterstrike is a great game if the teams are balanced. If you join a server where the balance is off, it makes for a frustrating game. What makes the experience worse is the kiddie screaming that is so prevailent. If they are not screaming omg pwned you noob, they are screaming turn off your hax and **** like that. Most games suffer from the E-penis brigade but CS is far worse (from my xp).

Take your time to find a good server that is properly admined and the game can be great fun. The via servers I found to be pretty good. Might want to give them a try. UKCS is pretty popular also. Been a while since I last played the game so things may have changed.

Echo the comments about the downloaded extra content like music packs. Bad program mechanics that.

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Glass servers are my fav :)

14. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

css is about knowing the maps, and using dirty hit boxes... Once you know a map, even if you arent the most skilled its a lot easier.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I only play Counterstrike Source with my friends on LAN, or with bots. Online is reserved for 1.6. :thumb:

16. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

and the fact that its not that uncommon for wow players to fall asleep at the keyboard, or leave it botting while afk (something i personally hate in those kind of mmorpg). Will have to give counter strike source a try once i get on a decent plan (dont trust someone else to set it up 5gb a month what a waste of time)

17. Joes2silly

Joes2silly What's a Dremel?

I play a lot of CSS, and this is one of the first negative comments I have ever seen. But I think CSS is like this, you either love it or you hate it. Personally, Im not that great playing a normal game of CSS, but once I hope in a gun game match I am insane. You just have to find your niche, and try to note what some more experienced players on the server are doing. Another thing you want to avoid is taking the same route on the map every round or camping in the same spot, and try to make a another note of where the opposing forces are and potential spots for snipers :thumb:

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That's pretty much my expiereince with it. I'd be interested in a casual team shooter, but I'm not going to play something were I lose constantly for two weeks while getting verbally abused by a bunch of 14 year olds. If I wanted that expierience I'd be a school bus driver.

A game like CS with procedurally generated maps / missions might be fun.

19. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

CS:S is ok, the worst part though is having to download all those ridiculous sounds for each customised map - lame :(

Normal players dont bot...

20. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

I used to play CSS religiously, now I have realised that pretty much all FPS games suck, CSS particularily. There's just no reward, and most of your time is just spent waiting for the next round. Complete bull.

Tags: