Case Mod - In Progress Project: Phoenix (PC-101B Orange Case Mod) (Jan 2010 update)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gvblake22, 27 Nov 2007.

1. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Hehe, no jaw on the floor on my part. Change of plans is part of the modding process imo. You come up with ideas, refine them, try em out, scrap em when they don't work and then come up with new solutions. For me, that's part of the fun. So, no hard feelings at all. I'm just glad you've found a solution that works for you. =)
    Anytime Blake! I live to solve (fun) problems, and since my own project is on ice until I have money to spare, I'm more than happy to lend my MHz to someone else. ^_^º'º''' (<-- me smiling and thinking in binary)

This mod is looking great so far! Keep it up! 8)

2. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I'm BAAAAACK!!!!
    To start things off, I decided to hack up the promotional mouse pads I got a while back...
    [​IMG]
    and make two strips for the hard drives to mount on in hopes of reducing vibration (and noise):
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to bust out the dremel and do some serious cutting. I wanted to get one of the side panels cut out and the design finished. The first step was to mask of the entire thing and stencil on the pattern:
    [​IMG]
    Then I cut it out between the lines
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cutting half-way in gives enough material for the frame to rest on the side panel, but leaves the other half open for the frame to rest on the mesh. The mesh and the side panel will intersect each other underneath the frame so the seam will be hidden.
    [​IMG]

Then I cut the piece of mesh that will be used inside the design (and over top the orange acrylic that will be there too)...
    [​IMG]
    stenciled in the design...
    [​IMG]
    and will cut it to fit underneath and look like this...
    [​IMG]

This next one shows the backside of the side panel with the black frame attached to the front. It gives you an idea of the overlap that exists underneath:
    [​IMG]

And here are some pics of everything sandwitched together with all the paper backing and masking tape still on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But when you hold it up to the sunlight, the orange shines through the paper backing and you can get a good idea of what it will look like in the end. The first glimpse of orange!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's actually starting to turn out how I've been envisioning it and it definitely puts a smile on my face. Only three more of these designs to cut and it will be time to paint! :clap:

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Wow, looking great!

4. Macros_the_Black

Ooo, cool! I love that orange glow!! It looks like there's a raging fire behind the panel. 8D

Glad to see you back Blake! ^_^

5. hotdog

hotdog What's a Dremel?

Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

6. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

hehehe, thanks for the welcome!
    It's updates like this that get me really motivated to mod every spare second I have, so hopefully progress will continue on a regular schedule and not so broken up like before... :sigh:

7. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Lookin' good Blake :thumb:

8. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Your work puts a smile on this face as well :) Really like it.

9. tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan Time To Live Customs

Really like that front panel with the mesh work.

Wasnt sure on mobo window to start with but its growing on me, your workmanship is helping alot though.... Good job ;)

10. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

HAHA, thanks for the kind words fellas.
    I wasn't too sure on the mobo window myself either, it was kindof a spur of the moment thing that I just decided to do and didn't feel like trying to design some elaborate thing that weaved around all the needed standoff holes. Oh well. When the side panel is on, you won't be able to really see the whole thing through the mesh and orange acrylic, just some spots here and there (which is sortof what I was going for). It's definitely not the highlight of the case and I don't intend to try and make it that way, I'll say that much....

11. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

March 23, 2008 Update

Got a little more work done this weekend!!!
    Here's all the pieces to finish the design on the front panel:
    [​IMG]

And here is them all installed:
    (no backlight)
    [​IMG]
    (backlight)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's two out of four done. Once I get the other two finished, it's on to making a few cuts on the front panel for drives, accessories, and LED's, then painting is the final step.

12. Macros_the_Black

Now that is hot! You just _have_ to have similar backlight in the finished case!! =D

13. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Really nice designs on those cuts!
    congrats friend!

14. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yep, I've got one hundred 5mm LEDs to work with, so I hope to get a good orange glow going behind the front panel and inside the case.

15. Modfreak

Modfreak What's a Dremel?

Sorry if i missed out on some part, but i see you dead screwed the front panel.. how you gona use the DVD port... or some big plan there?

16. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I still have to cut some openings for the two DVD burners I plan on using. There will also be some holes cut for a Sunbeam Rheobus up front too. I just haven't decided exactly how I want to do it yet, but it will be the next step after I get the side panels cut. :thumb:

17. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Quick update for ya. Got the right side panel cut out but didn't have time to mount the mesh and acrylic.
    [​IMG]

The area inside the design will be the usual black mesh with orange acrylic behind, but he area on the right of the design will be clear acrylic this time (a real window).
    [​IMG]

Here's how it will be positioned on the case...
    [​IMG]

The orange and mesh will meet the clear acrylic in a seam that will stay hidden behind the design cut-out on top of the whole mess so it will look like a smooth transition underneath (or at least that's what I'm hoping)...

18. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

Looks amazing wonderful design in the panels. I have always been a fan of the mesh because it shows through the lighting and possibly the inside but hides just enough to not make it intrusive. Keep up the great work. I plan on following this one. Good luck man!!

19. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

very very nice work there :thumb:

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I must say you have done an amazing job. Excellent work with the mesh and side panels.

Tags: