News Mass Effect and Spore DRM detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2008.

1. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

It makes it harder to pirate and does work, see steam sales as proof. I know several people who tried to pirate Bioshock and could not get it to work, they ended up buying the game. even a couple days can mean thousands of extra sales. These companies have detailed sales data, you think they are doing this ona whim? Get real, everyone thinks they are a game market analyst. Because There were rpoblems in the past, does not mean there always will be, Steam was terrible when HL2 launched, look at it now.

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

One of these days I'm going to figure out a way to get a developer in front of you guys to discuss piracy with. Then, when you've seen the numbers and met the people who put effort into these games, you'll feel bad about stealing from them and we won't have this ****ing problem anymore.

Royal you, that is.

3. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

It does not work, show me one DRM infested title that has not been pirated!

Just one is all I ask.

I'll be here waiting.

4. Lepermessiah

Just because it has been pirated does not mean it has a effect on sales, where are your figures that these large companies have? Get real. If it didn't work, they wouldn't spend time and money implementing it. I know several people who bought Bioshock because the pirated version didn't work due to DRM.

saying it does not work without any fact is as usefull as ttis ona bull, come back when you have indepth market studies like these companies do.

5. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Late to the party, but another vote for 'was planning to buy, but not going to anymore'.

Plenty of good games without this crap, so why would I buy one that has it.

6. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

Sigh, you have already decided that big business can do no wrong. Talking to you is clearly a waste of time.

Incidentally though, where are your figures and in-depth market studies that suggest DRM is a good idea?

Edit:

Sorry but just how naive are you??

7. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Can i ask what you think they should do instead of DRM then?

8. CardJoe

They spend big money doing it because they have to battle it, but don't know what else to do. EA tried the Steam route with the EA store, which didn't work for them either. They're trying to find a way to protect their property while still making money and, while I agree that this is the wrong way to do it, you can't really fault them for that.

Here's an idea - instead of whining here, why don't you guys grab an email address off of their website, contact them and TELL them to go on Steam if you want it so much. That's the only way you'll get what you want and what we as a market need. Go on. Tell them what you want. Send them a letter to the address given on their website.

Electronic Arts Limited

Onslow House,
    Onslow Street,
    Guildford,
    Surrey,
    GU1 4TN,
    UK.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Thing here is that few here are even arguing that copyright theft isn't bad, that isn't the argument at the moment (it will be soon mind). The argument here is that invasive CP is an insult to your paying customers and as was shown by bioshock is of limited effect. People dislike steam and so don't buy through it, people dislike this type so don't purchase these games, its an individuals choice but when it back fires and these game fails to meet their own inflated targets lets not hear that it was because of Piracy. All that does is infuriate your paying customer base not only have they put up with the CP and the game still didn't sell, what does that tell you, you shouldn't have bothered, you would have the same (lower) sales levels but you wouldn't have pissed off your customer base and probably ensured you don't have any repeat business (starforce).
    And no i wouldn't feel for these guys its business, them's the risks, any product could fail to sell for many reasons.

Again Royal you.

10. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

Release quality titles and charge a sensible price for them? Of course I am living in a fantasy world but that would do the trick :)

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Anyone that says they 'love' a developer and then thinks it's OK to steal from them has some serious issues. :)

There's more I could say, but it'd probably ruin some content I've got coming up soon.

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

No CP, seems to have worked for StarDock.

13. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i think this is something we pc gamers are going to have to get used to, its obvious the game devs need to try and stop piracy and if it works then i for one will support it

14. Lepermessiah

LOL, invasive? It will check without you even knowong, less invasive then the Steam everyone seems to love. Talk about exaggeration.

15. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

If they stop peddling crap and start releasing quality products at a sensible price I think they will all be pleasantly surprised.

By the way dude, we are whining here because one of your colleagues invited us to do so in his article.

Also I haven't mentioned steam so I think you're barking up the wrong tree there my friend.

16. Lepermessiah

Finally, someone with some sense. I wish people would get so angry at pirates as they do DRM, double standards.

17. CardJoe

Take your sarcasm and shove it. Anyone looking at Mass Effect and Spore and saying that they aren't quality titles is stupid. Anyone saying that £30 starting price (falling quickly to around £20, £17.99 if you shop around online in the first week) for those games is unreasonable is moronic. Those same games on a console would cost at least a tenner more.

I actually bought The Orange Box for a gift for someone today on Xbox 360 and saw that it was almost half the price on PC, so I know this is true.

18. Lepermessiah

BS argument, many great games around that get priated in the millions, get your head out of the sand, anotehr BS excuse.

Mass Effect is one of the best RPG's in years, a lot of quality titlse get pirated the most.

19. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

Who is saying that?

20. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

Sorry? So my argument is BS because you don't agree with it....hmmm now why does that sound familiar? Games will always be pirated, but the way to get more people buying them is to make them more attractive...i.e better and cheaper with no senseless strings.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Tags: Add Tags