1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Shane Kim: Xbox 360 has 7 year lifespan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Its a bit of an extreme example, But look at what people have done with Commodore 64s. Just because technology is advancing doesn't mean it's obsolete and useless - at least not as much as the computing industry would like you to believe.

It's cheaper for the consumer in the long run as well.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Didn't MS say that games wouldn't need the space offered by HD disks as a dual layer DVD would be plenty?

Last edited by a moderator: 14 May 2008
  4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

The consoles already look and run worse than a decent, mid-range low budget gaming pc - imagine in 2010 and on how woefully outdated they will seem.

If anything they are digging their own grave. Maybe some outsider will challenge them on their turf in the midlife of their consoles, like MS did with the Xbox originally.

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I guess this is all based on Sony's strategy. If the PS3 is going to be around for ten years then why would MS need to release another console until around that time?

Last edited by a moderator: 14 May 2008
  6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

7 year lifespan does'nt mean no new console for 7 years, just means they will continue to support the 360 AFTER they have released a follow up in 2010/2011.

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

It occurs to me, that with all the RRoD's happening, then your xbox only has a 3 year lifespan. as soon as the Warranty's up and you get one, you're stuffed!

8. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

i would expect new xbox around 2010/2011, and sony and nintendo to have there machine aready around then too i'm sure.

consoles usually have a 5 year life span, buy that time graphics technology in PC's have jump so far above consoles, that new console have to appear just to appear to be keeping up.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Well the PS2 is still having games brought out for it and it's nearly eight years old now. Remember Sony only brought the PS3 out 6.5 years after the PS2 first went on sale, and no-one complained they'd waited far too long. A 7 year life-span is about right in my opinion.

10. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Red Ring's All Around!!!

I think in 7 years it is safe to say you will get a red ring, microsoft will be so busy.....

11. tuaamin13

tuaamin13 What's a Dremel?

If they can get the reliability of the system up so that it doesn't matter if there's a 3 year RROD warranty, then I have no problem with a 7 year lifespan. I wouldn't mind getting a new console every 6-7 years; I'll have my PC for bleeding edge.

Multiple systems gets you the best of the gaming world.

12. Hg

Hg The game known as life

The PS2 came out in late 2000 and its still on sale now with plenty of games in its catalogue. A seven year life cycle doesn’t seem crazy to me, saves people having to buy a new console every few years…
    Also as we have seen with the PS2, graphics will improve over the xbox360's life span due to developers refining their code for the machine and possibly new updates in the firmware etc.

13. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

yeah, the 360 is plenty scale-able.

with firmware, and software updates, and the occasional add-in hardware, it is like a lesser PC.
    i can see it going for 7 years.....if they can just keep the things running.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

that worked very well for the genesis :rolleyes:

15. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they'll make it smaller like the PS2 later on.....but they'll have to get past the RRoD first....

16. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

A seven year lifespan? I've already been through three of them in a little over two :nono:

17. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

LOL! Idk, I see everyone jumping ship just like the with the original Xbox, so this 7-year lifespan thing is (probably) more geared towards the "casual" owners of the system *cough* arcade *cough* that won't just go out and buy the next generation.....

18. parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll What's a Dremel?

I expect the next generation Xbox to arrive in 2010 or 2011, and no later than 2012. The Xbox 360 will have been on the market for an absolute minimum of 5 years before the next-gen Xbox arrives, but most likely, 6 years, because I think the next Xbox is most likely to launch in 2011.

I expect PS4 to arrive no sooner than 2011 (2011 is unlikely but somewhat possible) probably / most likely 2012, yet no later than 2013, thus, no longer than 7 years after PS3's 2006 launch.

When Sony said PS3 would have a 10 year life, they meant it would be on the market for 10 years, but *NOT* that PS4 would launch 10 years after PS3, in 2016. The PS1 lasted for about 10 years but PS2 launched 5-6 years after PS1. The PS2 has been on the market 8 years and will last 10, yet PS3 launched just over 6 years after PS2. It'll be roughly the same with PS4, 6-7 years after PS3.

Tags: Add Tags