1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Mornington Crescent

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Penguin, 22 May 2008.

1. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

Well... I could always observe or measure myself - but this poses an interesting conundrum...

Does something in a quantum state change state when it is observed by itself?

Anyway - back to the game - as I'm in a deadlock as according to the Lagrange rules of '01, I'll have to spend half my deck to rescind my last go.

So - I have to draw a card: Ace to 8 it's a reverse formation, 9 to King, and it's a lance move.

Bugger- "Mister Bun the Baker".

So, Strand it is!

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Are you guys playing with the Heisenberg Rule Addendum of 1942? If so, I may have to change the way I play from now on.

Anyway, in the meantime, I roll a perfect 9.42 which raises the Queen of Spades in my hand to the Joker of Hearts. Unless I'm very much mistaken, that sends me to Charing Cross and nets me a very helpful bonus move for last month's match.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Bugger, I log off for a day and the whole board changes.

OK. I'm sticking with the basic Heisenberg conditions for now, Kapustin variation of 1965 (you may not know about that one; bloody Cold War tournament boycotts). No need to get complicated over a game!

I'm calling 6 on the next card (sorry guys, but if you can invoke inversion tactics I can reset the base count for alternate moves in the upper echelon) and going for a 4-8-4 base-pair weighting on the previous two players' moves. Put your aces away; they are no good here. Discounting the odd primes at this position of the map I'm backing up the parallel line and going for Whitechapel.

EDIT: I know it is going back a bit, but do Watson's occult rules apply? In that case, do the by-election results in Crewe count as a "portentous sign" or "sudden imbalance" as under rule 21b (paragraph IV)? Because I pulled "The Tower", "The Traveller" and "The Blind Man" and that is too good an opportunity to let slide.

Last edited: 23 May 2008
  4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

counts as a sudden imbalance, portentous sign hasn't been used for years, at least in the way I play!

surely you left yourself wide open by calling 6 and then going to Whitechapel!? From my position I can use my inside joker to get all the way to Mayfair with a pair of twos and but only one Etcherling! (Etcherlings only came in in 2007 if you didn't know guys)
    Considering I rolled a 41.11 (41.11278 but rounded to 2DP) I can use that to form the Norr alliance with anyone (even those not in the game)
    from there and my sure footing of 8 and a "cardboard box" (whatever their technical term is, I can't remember) I can get further on to Russel Sq.

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

concur with the above point, but with the Nasdaq ending on 2444.67 down 19.91 I shall be claiming 3 tokens thus leading us closer to the the bottom half and landing me in.....

Holland Park

damn and blast

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

i'm going to assume the mouton-rothschild position and perform a scandinavian flick on a 14 roll to end up on Queenstown Road

7. Nexxo

Isn't that an illegal move? Mouton-Rothshild manoeuvres allow French variations only, IIRC, as they were established in that context.

Not really. Because Mayfair lies on a grid reference of two odd numbers that multiply to make a prime and straddles a ley line, even throws are out of bounds. Your Joker can call dibs on that but you'd need more than one Etcherling to make good (remember that Nursery rhyme: "One is but a single stop, two takes you to town, three takes you around the world but four carries you home"). So I'd like to see you hit Mayfair in one jump.

I'll stick with Watson for now (why change what works for you) and keep the weighthing, but I call on that 14. I'm also using my "Unseen Eye" card (Tarot rules apply) so I can keep my second option blank, which will take me to... lesseee... West Hampstead. Nice. :)

8. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I hate you Nexxo, in the true sense of the game! I also hate "Tarot rules", they never should have been brought in!

Bond St is within my reach though, Mr Nexxo, I'm sure you can guess how I can get there! My 1 Etcherling can be used with your second blank option, I can take it away from you using it for myself and look at that, I land at Bond St.
    And yes, you can look that up in the rules, Page 72 of the 1942 section of the new edition.
    I'm so glad I invested in a proper copy of the rules.

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Given that the πth page of my rule book is missing, I'm not sure whether a move towards Fairlop would contravene rule 79 mk 2 (revised), but I'm happy to take the penalty if the other players deem it relevant.

10. julianmartin

im caught red handed! in light of this i'd like to take account for the napoleon critereon and take a subsidised step back which if i have estimated for gaussian blur correctly, i should be standing at embankment....

11. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

Well then - seeing as the board is now in a new state of play, as all players have entered the change node, I can start to really get moving. A 3, 4, and a Jack get me to Edgware Road.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

As is the way with a newbie, I'll start off in Hanger Lane. I did, however, pick up a 2 of clubs from the bottom of the deck - that should stand me in good stead further down the line.

13. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

Indeed it should, kenko. You've got a good hold card there - just be sure to swap it for a jump as soon as you can, to get ahead of the competition!

As for my turn - I'm going to discard my hand, and spend my go building up green points. Therefore, I stay where I am - Edgware Road

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

OK, using my Joker I roll a perfect pi, which means that - according the Schopenhauer's Conjunction - I'm able to move all the way to Liverpool St. This allows me to place an extra hotel on Bond St which should give me an extra throw of the axe if anyone lands there. Nice.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Using the Clairvoyancy amendment of 2014, in a couple of hours i'll through a 2 and an 18 combined with my Joker from buying old kent road lands me at Kings Cross, just in time for the next train to Edinburgh yesterday.

16. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

I roll a 3, and a 12. Adding these together gives me a king and a nineteen.

So, I'll move three spaces facebound, but call into play the Luthor addendum of 64BC, and my chosen game is Mousetrap.

GAH! The cage didn't fall, as the boot didn't hit the bucket thing! Ah well, better luck next time.

On that bombshell, that leaves me sobbing at Finsbury Park.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Wow, talk about beginners luck. I've rolled a bucket and squid. Seeing as I've just begun and don't want to create enemies by collecting ten tokens from each player (see addendum to Tothe's 1803 Vol. II, Second Print, Signed), it's off to Earl's Court I go!

18. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

BRILLIANT! As Earls Court was the last move after I moved to Finsbury Park, this gives me one extra Blue token to add to my pile! *Mwahahaha... the old ones are always the best*

Reversing my direction, I board a train to Baker Street

19. Nexxo

Which edition is that? the Penguin's Consise (Baker, 1985), or Hartwood and Breuckelen's 500-page labour of love ("Mornington Crescent: It's Origins and History, with the Precise and Complete Rules including amendments, corrections and appendices) re-published in 1994 by Price Waterhouse? If you have the latter, hang on to it --it was a limited edition of only 1000 copies and what with the British Library and various Universities having snagged a few, there are not many left in private ownership (although you can still get a few copies in Hay on Wye if you look hard enough, in not too bad condition. Else there are rumoured to be some .pdf format torrents banging about, but don't ask me for links because I have no idea). The previous 1987 edition contains a misprint in the value-adjusted normal distribution turn tables (Appendix IIX, page 366) which caused quite a bit of controversy, and is thus not used anymore.

Anyway, Hartwood and Breuckelen's edition does allow Watson's Occult rules, provided you use a proper Tarot deck that has had a licenced Pagan Druid or Soothsayer balance it (don't mess with cheap copies, unless you want to fall victim to strange unfortunate events) and the rules do not conflict with the established straigth deck of playing cards and d20 dice rules. These limitations were established as much for personal safety (I mean, who wants to play Mornington Crescent in a grounded Dho-Na protection pentagram just to keep their entrails inside their body?) as to keep the game reasonably straightforward and playable, so I'm not messing with the base rules, no worries.

I'll give you the Etchering and blank, but I'm going for a prime-based grid multiplication move here. I've got a value of 18 (drat) so that moves me South-East to Aldgate East (phew! Close one!).

20. julianmartin

crikey how exciting.

aftre referring to my Mathematical Manipulation of Mornington (KA Stroud, 1991), using the monte carlo theorem i predict that flipping my single blue token will create a minute vacuum to encourage my die into a roll of 94, landing me 4 metres next to Camden.

And Nexxo, I think you misread the Nyquist rule established in page 91A of the revised capitol edition from Price Waterhouse, meaning grid multiplication is invalid from your original position of West Hampstead, so by my calculations an 18 value lands you on overland Brixton Central. Bad luck.