1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Heatsink testing overview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/06/16/heatsink-testing-overview/1

Reliably testing CPU heatsinks can be a tricky business, with so many variables capable of jeopardising accurate results. For this reason, we've re-assessed our testing methodology, and put some of the most popular and high-performing heat sinks through their paces in our new standard test setup.

:thumb:

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The vendetta did quite well under load. I thought it would perform worse.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

oh yeah! TRUE is still the top one.

i bet it can drop a lot more degree if you use one or two high CFM fan.

so what heatsink are you planning to test next? one of those newer direct contact heatpipe ones? many test sites say they are better than TRUE....... me wants a reliable source.

4. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

Nice review, as always.

Btw there's a Noctua instead of a Thermalright 120 on last page. :)

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

it's a thermalright with the noctua fan on it :)

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

typo error on the noctua title :) dam i'm getting anal in my senility. surprised there's no bit-tech badges applied here to highlight the best of the punch, editors pic, recommended etc. i like those badges. makes reading a non-necessity. or was that the point?

7. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

wth is a delta-t stand for?!?!

i use the Coolermaster CM Sphere and, i was blown away with it's performance, 22c idle and 43 on load.

I am running the fan passively, as the fan that comes with it was to loud :p, with the fan is was 35 or so, but there are 2 fans blowing on to it :p

:edit: mind you, i am only running a E6600..

Last edited: 16 Jun 2008
  8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I should be receiving a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 from Scan in the next couple of days - from a couple of reviews, it looks to be pretty good, if not better than a TRU. See if it fits my mobo first though :lol:

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's the difference in temperature (a delta) between two values (in this case the CPU and ambient temps).

10. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

i think that's a miserable testing methodology. Ambient temps to the nearest whole number? if you're going to test coolers at differing ambient temps then you shouldn't even be displaying the temperatures. it's just misleading.

this, despite being very old, is the way to do it.

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

11. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I know we aren't trying to compete with SPCR, but some sort of metric for noise would be good; perhaps as simple as marks out of 10. Subjective is better than nothing.

12. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Good link. Very interesting. I disagree with the not displaying ambient temps though. How else are you going to prove that you didn't stick the coolers in an oven while testing?

Why do you think it's misleading anyway?

Andy

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Testing in the same ambient temperature is one of the very expensive options we just don't have. In an ideal world we'd test in an air conditioned, climate controlled room, where we can control the temperature to the nearest degree, but the sad fact is we can't, and so have to publish the ambient temps vs highest load temp as the key performance value.

For the same reason, we round to the nearest degree, as consistantly accurate thermometers are not cheap. While I admit it's not 100% accurate, I feel our test methodology is better than most, and gives a solid indication of real world performance, that you'd get if you fitted the heatsink in your own case, not just if you fit the heatsink on a test bench.

Although if anyone wants to donate a laboratory grade thermometer, feel free ;)

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I always get the feeling that I'm being lied to when things are tested in climate controled rooms. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd be quite willing to bet that the large majority of users do not have the ability to control their rooms climate either. As users we're more likely to get similar results to compare with your results, which IMO, is a more realistic view of performance.

15. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Good to see my TRUE120 is still king of the coolers.

One test I'd like to see is how the cheapest and most expensive coolers (say a TRUE120 and a Freezer 7) compare for different chips. Eg, test bother with a low power dual core, and both with a heavily overclocked quad.

I'd image the TRUE120 would pull out well ahead for the quad and be much quieter, but there would be little difference between it and the Freezer 7 Pro for the low power chip.

Some actual numbers to back this up would help people in choosing a cooler suitable to their CPU.

16. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

ohhhh hahaha! my bad :duh:

17. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

cheers that _b

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Those load temps seem a good 10c under what most other reveiws of the TRU seem to achieve?! 44C LOAD is very low!

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    They are too low because:
    "All CPU temperatures are recorded from the MSI PC Alert 4 software in the operating system"

Temperatures are not from CoreTemp or RealTemp. One needs to add another 10-15ºC to compare to other reviews.

20. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Water cooling Cheesecake!

Tags: Add Tags