1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shocked at UK public...

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Major, 16 Jun 2008.

1. Major

Major Guest

Well I should of posted this the other day, but anyway...

I saw Hulk the other day, and like any movie, there was about 20 minutes of trailers and adverts before the movie, the movie is a 12A, so a lot of kiddies in the cinema. So 3 minutes or so before the movie started an advert came up, which reconstucted someone pushing a disabled person in a wheelchair onto the floor, and kicked in the head I think, so knocked out. This is when I got ****ing pissed off.

80% of people in the cinema = Laughing

My 10 year old brother was with me, and so was my 27 year old brother, and I'm pretty sure me, my older brother and the people behind us were the only people not laughing. As everyone laughed, so did my little brother (the young copy, it's a fact). As soon as I saw him laugh, I said in a quite loud voice to my brother "(Name) that isn't funny, a disabled person getting beaten up is not funny, ok?". As soon as I said that, the whole cinema went quiet, and popping up on the screen was a statement from the advert saying "Disabled people are 3 times more likely to be assulted" or something like that.

I was just so pissed off with those people words cannot describe how angry I am at this, and even writing this up I am pumping right now with adrenline.

What the **** are the general public teaching kids or even thinking these days? I laugh at some things which shouldn't be laughed at, but that was over the line by a mile.

/End of rant.

2. Major

Major Guest

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'd laugh at that.
    I believe generally when faced with something unexpected, shocking and violent people laughed.
    I laughed my way through A Clockwork Orange (the film, not the book).

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Might need to see the ad before commenting. I mean, it could be portrayed in such a way that it is funny.

5. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I watched a program recently about the most offensive joke, (some of you might have seen it) one of which were about disabled people. We all know its wrong to say such jokes and would deffinetly not do such cruel things.
    However somtimes you cant help but laugh, simply because its like a dark humor.
    Its the kind of jokes which come up at school or in the work place and you laugh at. But you wouldnt say it in public because its just wrong.
    I probably wouldnt have laughed seeing it in a public place. If i were with my family sitting at home im pretty sure one of my older brothers would have cracked a joke ;o

6. Major

Major Guest

Big difference about this is that it is a reconstruction which has been recorded by CCTV.

I agree, I laugh at most things like I said, but it just wasn't funny, and quite frankly, someone getting their head kicked in for no reason is not funny.

This is exactly why people can be beaten to a pulp on the streets in daylight, because other people laugh, chant, and just watch, *******s.

7. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I think the stats of assaults on disabled people must be exacerbated by the overly-politically-correct country.
    Like going to the cinema/supermarket etc and having to park half a mile away cos there's 100 disabled parking spaces with maybe 3 legitimately parked cars in them.

Does it make it acceptable behaviour to laugh at such acts?
    Hell no.
    Like someone said though, it might have been filmed in a funny way and as I've not seen it, I can't comment.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I haven't seen it either, but I would be willing to bet that they want people to laugh at first, and then feel like **** when they realize what they just did.

9. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Just because someone laughs at a violent video doesn't mean they agree with what's happening on screen... I laugh when I repeatedly cave in the skulls of various pedestrians in the fictional wonderland that is Liberty City. Doesn't mean that if I was presented with a real life situation I'm going to repeat my actions.

10. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

The difference here though is the fact that the violence in the GTA franchise is intended to be entertaining; it's presented in a detached, almost ironic fashion. As such, it's perfectly natural to laugh at it.

However, when it comes to a video that is intended to be a harrowing reproduction of real events, involving someone unable to defend themselves against a vicious assault, it's not intended to be funny in the slightest. Anyone who decides it's good enough to laugh out loud really genuinely needs their head examining.

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Perhaps then it was simply a case of the situation. Someone laughs, then someone else laughs because laughing is infectious. Or like others have said, laughing because your brain is confused at what it's having to see. I laughed at my Great Granny's funeral! All I'm saying is that just because people laughed it doesn't meant they would actually find a real version of the same situation funny in the slightest.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The CCTV reconstruction was obviously not displayed as a parody or sketch such as you'd expect in a Quentin Tarrantino movie, video game or a TV programme like "Brass Eye", which intends (and therefore comes with the expectation) to shock with harsh black humor. In those scentarios, you have adjusted your mindset and perceptions and are predisposed to laugh. In a depiction of violence that is unexpected and created to look like real life, one could reasonably expect people to be a bit shocked. But people are group animals, so if one person laughs, others follow suit to hide and displace their emotional shock. As will. says:

In real life this (what Dexter and Russell would call) "sticky moment, black mind" situation happens also: social psychological experiments have found that people will walk past a person lying on the floor, apparently in pain and pleading for help, if other people walk past too. This pattern breaks only when the first person steps forward to help --all of a sudden others rush to help also. Group behaviour: people are sheep. They don't know how to behave in unexpected crisis situations and thus do what everyone else seems to do. Notice how when a wolf attacks one sheep the others don't gang up on him --they just stand around aimlessly at a distance and watch their fleecy fellow being eviscerated. (People are prejudiced sheep, by the way: --the "distressed" person has to wait less long if they are a pretty young female than an old, unattractive male, for instance). I've noticed this first-hand also --I tend to be the first to step forward and break the pattern.

When Major's response was:
    this broke the pattern, and other people snapped out of their sheep behaviour.

So well done Major, for not being a sheep but to be the first person to step forward. :thumb:

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

[​IMG]

that is kind of stupid....

Last edited: 16 Jun 2008
  14. Major

Major Guest

I just think more people should be like that, and that's what annoyed me to be quite honest. :)

Sorry if my OP was a little on the "angry" side, I normally get too attached to subjects if I have a strong belief about them.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nothing wrong with feeling passionate about things. :)

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

wow....

17. kempez

kempez modding again!

People laughed at that?

Sometimes I walk to work and see people throw litter (and yes I'll pick it up if it isn't miles out my way) on the floor or let their kids run into the road on their own and it's quite worrying how little people care. I hesitate to say "any more" as I think perhaps aspects of my childhood were just sheltered as I was taught that you should care.

Still: the thought of people laughing at that makes me sad :(

18. Major

Major Guest

Yep, that's the advert, pretty much the whole cinema, which was over 30 people easily, laughed.

See why I am angry? :)

19. kempez

kempez modding again!

Yep although rather than angry it just makes me sad

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I don't get it, who is this advert aimed at and to what end?