1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 a "minor release"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Aug 2008.

1. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

time to upgrade from me maybe, i love that os lol

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

That's the point, people go on about how Windows needs a fresh start etc- Vista is the 'fresh start' in which they fixed security etc, which is why people have had all these problems with compatibility. Windows 7 will probably just build on that, add some nice cloud and touch features, and generally give people a decent enough incentive to upgrade.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

no OS works flawlessly for me :p

but Vista works better than XP for me....

so +1

4. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Blatent ploy to get the ones holding out with XP to get Vista, then release 7 with some major improvements and need that too.

5. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

another +1 here.

I find the people who complain about vista being a resource hog, are the same people who complained about XP being a resource hog when it first arrived. Agreed the difference is bigger than either ME/2000 to XP than it is XP to Vista, but the points the same.

Computers move on. Vista is new, and runs very well on new hardware. Its memory management is a lot better than previous versions, and the more Ram you feed it the more it prepares stuff at boot to make everything quicker.

In 2002, you may have bought a base model car with no air-con, PAS electric windows etc and a new base model may have them. Do you go off on one how it adds loads more weight, or do you appreciate the new comfortable features and improved engine efficiency and so on....

just my 2 pence

6. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

I knew this all along since the myth surrounding MinWin kernel was debunked some months ago.

MinWin was this radical slimmer kernel which allowed for a fully modularized kernel. According to Microsoft, Vista is already modularized (in that you can add/remove OS components or features).

7. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

The fresh start, that maintains virtually all backward compatiblity etc (thus isn't very fresh). As for the security... as someone who supports a lot of users, the only thing that the new security features are good for is teaching users not to read and just click yes... how many have moaned that the UAC is annoying, and they just click yet to get rid of it, completely defeating the point of it.

I can see Windows 7 needing even more resources than Vista, granted we may be able to get more ram etc... but why should we when its not NEEDED.

I am quite happy with 1GB for working with web designs in Photoshop, under linux (where i spend most of my time) 512MB would suffice. I don't want to have to buy more RAM just cos the OS has got a lot more bloated.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

there is a debate about vista and Goodbytes hasn't showed up yet ? weird

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Why can't you guys get out of the rut that microsoft put you in years ago?

Resources are there to be used

Why would you buy a HUGE system only to have 5% of it being used 95% of the time????

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

11. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

But, why should we be forced to upgrade a perfectly working pc because microsoft writes a bloated OS / Office app etc that needs so many resources :)

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If your computer is working perfectly why upgrade the OS?

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

But...

Why don't you get your facts straight?

14. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Vista doesn't Need so many resources - It ran fine on my old Athlon 2400+(1.9GHz) with 1Gb of RAM and a Radeon 9800Pro. However, if you give it more Resources, then it will use those effectively to improve your experience of it.

The only thing holding most systems back nowadays is the hard disk. If you throw RAM at Vista, it will do its best to try and lessen that bottleneck.

I'd be interested to know exactly what tweaks will be made for Windows 7 though...

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it does have a big hard drive footprint... but that is what you get when your OS has lots of stuff in it to avoid problems like the lack of drivers and stuff....

16. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

all these versions... lol

im a geek and i dont even know what they are all for.

17. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Mmmm so it's like Windows 98SE all over again? I wonder how much we'll have to pay for the upgrade.... :eyebrow:

Tags: Add Tags