1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Piracy softmod comes to the Wii

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Good if it works, now they just need a large storage solution to feed it!

3. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Start the clock. You guys probably have 33 minutes until this gets shut down.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I still don't feel piracy is Wrong (capital 'W'). I just hear no convincing arguments against it, which is a shame because the good half of me wants to be convinced that it's wrong, that it's in any way damaging.

I suppose those that might construct such arguments lack the necessary research and empirical data.

5. McFlyinCA

McFlyinCA What's a Dremel?

OK where can I get this, lol. My son scratched his Lego Star Wars game and it does not play anymore so I could really use this. Anyone have any idea??? :D

6. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

I don`t think it`s available for download yet, but it`s made by wananiko.
    Edit: And don`t blame your son, we all know who just HAD to have that game.
    Edit2: If it`s already scratched, you can`t make a backup of it.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  7. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

No, but he could DL it and then run it using the fix.

8. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

I was going to post something like 'but that would be wrong' but I don't really want to start a flame war.
    TBH, piracy isn't going to go away.

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Why would Nintendo care? They still sell the Wii.. they don't make money from Non Nintendo game sales do they? Most people that buy a wii are not tech savvy anyway so it probably wont really matter.

10. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

For most console makers. I'd say that this would be worrisome, as the bulk of profits come from game sales (which offset the console hardware losses). For Nintendo, though, this almost works in their favor. People buy the Wii hardware like it has the combined might of every Christmas fad toy combined, and Nintendo already makes a fair amount on each console. So why should they care? More incentive for people to buy the console (like they needed any more) and make them even more money.

11. geneyess

geneyess What's a Dremel?

Piracy, as the result of $60 games, is simply a consequence. A good game will turn a profit if sold for $20 dollars. If games were around $20-30, piracy would reduce considerably. The same people complaining about it, refuse to lower their ridiculous prices, so piracy will stay. Developers haven't convinced anyone that $60 for 1 game is a fair price. This is because it isn't, these @ssh0les need to stop making it seem like people who pirate games are destroying the market. Overpricing games is destroying the market, look what happen to wall street, I bet they think they can charge even more for games once the next cycle of consoles come out. They've already killed PC Gaming. It's simple, if u want to sell a product and all of your customers think your prices are heavily inflated, lower your price or only sale to those customers that have searched for an alternative (like piracy) and failed.

12. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

All of the console manufacturers charge a licensing fee for every game sold for there consoles. It's the primary means that Microsoft and Sony use to make money and definetely a decent stream of income for Nintendo, so they have a very strong interest in stopping piracy.

And as for no negative effect of piracy, without sales games don't get sequels and/or genres are taken to be risky and not developed, in more extreme cases developers don't get wages paid and go out of business completely.

I'd like to see cheaper games, but as far as I know the actual developer only gets a small portion of most games sold, with the biggest chunk going to the store that sells it, the publisher then keeping a decent chunk, in the console cases the console company takes a decent licensing fee and the developers get whats left over.

Tags: Add Tags