1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: Xbox 360 outselling PS3 two to one

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Called a sales spike.

I dont get why MS makes such a big deal out of outselling PS3 for a few weeks when the PS3 has been outselling it all year long (besides a few weeks when 360 had price cuts).

Now if they could sustain this and continue to outsell the PS3 then it's worth mentioning. Otherwise its 'meh'.

Anyways, according to VGChartz it didn't double PS3 sales. PS3 sold 52K and 360 sold 70K. Heres a link: http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php...&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&start=39712&end=39719

And as you can tell by the graph, PS3 sales didnt drop any from the previous week. (actually it dropped about 700, but w/e)

Heres a graph going back exactly 1 year. It outsold the ps3 this same time last year and since then the PS3 has been outselling it

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php...&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&start=39355&end=39719

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I played on a Wii the other day at work, I had a lot of fun. Because of the one guy who brought his to work, 3 other people went out and bought one.
    None of them have a ps3 or x360

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The oldest player still knows how to play the game, and still plays it best.

5. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Surely the 360 is pretty well saturated within the market now right? Only natural that the PS3 would outsell it at this stage. Sales spike indeed.

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh the 360 has sold so much for so long now that sales are going to naturaly be lower at this stage
    sales dont mean that much anyway, the ps3 is sold at a huge loss while the 360 became profitable months ago.

its just ms pointing out that its unusual that they have sold more at a stage where their sales are at a low because of the stage the 360 is at

7. Major

Major Guest

Err no it's not, considering the PS3 is 3x the price of a 360 these days, it should be three to one.

8. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The Wii may have sold more, but 3rd party developers on the Wii are not exactly cashing in are they. Just look at the top software sales releases... hardly ever do you see 3rd party Wii titles. And the reason is because the target audience of the Wii isnt interested in the same types of games you get on the PS3 or 360.

Im fortunate to own a Wii and a proper next gen console. The only time the wii is turned on is when the wife uses Wii Fit, or has her friends round to play Wii Sports or Mario Party. Thats is. Period. Its like one of those single use consoles you bought in the 80s LOL!

9. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

talladega,
    I see your point, but vgchartz is hardly a reliable source of information. They're lastest data points are just guesswork which they later append. But you could say that with the general trend that it's still going to be several years before the PS3 overtakes the 360 in total sales, if it ever does.

lewchenko,
    I too have a wii and a "proper next gen" console. What a waste of money the Wii was. I bought it at launch and only have Wii Sports, Wil Play, Zelda, Warioware and Mario (all 1st party). I have never owned so few games for a console I have had this long. Doesn't look like their is anything on the horizon either.

10. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

a higher price doesnt mean higher profit. and the ps3 costing 3x as much is exagerated

if thats in response to me saying the ps3 sells at a loss heres a link
    www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/15/sony-losing-260-on-each-ps3-sold/1

search anywhere on the net the 360 is now making a profit and the ps3 causes big losses per console

the main profit is from games and accesories, this is probably a better marker to compare. if you check the uk charts every week (which i do theyre acutally on page 809 on c4 interactive on fridays (i dont know who compiles the chart)) the multiformat games always sell more on 360 than the ps3 version

Last edited: 1 Oct 2008
  11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It'd be interesting to know the sample Chart-Track used to put together those figures. Whilst I'm pretty sure they have the highstreet retailers down, the online ones I'm not so sure. It's always a bit of a mistake to quote such figures to an exact number, as there's a fair amount of extrapolation involved in even the best panel, but I do know that Chart Track has very reliable figures for the UK.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

At the price they are selling the 360 its hard to make an excuse not to buy one, saw the arcade for £100 with 3 games thats essentially a free console, might by one again myself, don't think I need a HDD if I am not interested in Live is that right? they are all HDMI now aren't they?

13. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Errm 3 times? It's not even twice as much...

You can't compare the basic bog-standard xbox 360 anyway, yet it's still not 3 times the amount. You can get yourself an 80GB PS3 along with a game for £300, you can get an xbox 360 premium 60GB with a game for £170. I agree the PS3 should be cheaper, but don't make stuff up about it.

14. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

the memory cards are pretty small. i know i checked some of my game saves alone and they were pretty big, cant remember the exact sizes tho sorry. I think I got a 256MB memory card when i bought my last arcade (i opened my last premium and cudnt return it when it started over heating) im not sure how much thatll hold

and yeh it has HDMI. altough if you want to use HMDI with an optic surround sound you have to hack the original connector appart

Last edited: 1 Oct 2008
  15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Don't forget SEGA's Mad World (I think its Mad World... don't remember exactly).

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't, it's incredibly good value for everything you get (although less so now than when it was launched), main issue is whether you need everything you get. Now BR is the firm winner of the format war, there's no uncertainty whether it will last.

TBH I think MS should have just canned the arcade when they introduced the 60Gb model instead of getting rid of the 20Gb. I don't see a good reason to have kept it, if you want any arcade games or DLC you need a hard drive, 20Gb is more than enough for a casual user who only downloads a few games.

17. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

its handy for people that open up their 360 and cant return on warantee:D i know i was glad i could buy a cheap cut down version to replace my last one

but its bloody pointless tbh. youll probably need a hdd at some stage, your really gonna buy one eventually if you get into it at all

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

people keep buying 360's as they keep RRoD'ing on them

19. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Yeah...that's because people have to buy new ones every freaking year. I'm on my 3rd (2RROD & 1 DOA) 360 and I still have my original PS3.

20. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

theyre warannteed for 1 year with the shop and 3 years with MS

why would you buy a new one.

Tags: Add Tags