1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Watercooling a Jetway C7??? -Finished and tested-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 26 Sep 2008.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Buna-N (the O-ring material, if anyone's wondering.)
    Did I screw up? I didn't think I'd need anything special.

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I'm not sure. I've been using Buna-N o-rings for my fittings, but when I looked into what manufacturers (mainyl Swiftech) were supplying, I saw that it was EPDM.

Supposedly Buna-N is better for oils, and EPDM for steam. They should both be equally as good for water though, right? In the future I'm going to go for EPDM, but it's costlier. I wanted to see what you used so that I can copy your rationale. =)

3. Cheapskate

I went for what's cheap. It's only water.:D

4. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Engines run optimally when warmed up. On a car, the radiator is kept out of the loop by the thermostat until the engine heats up a bit (the water bypasses the rad), which stops really cold water being constantly pumped through the engine which would make cold starts stay cold for a long time.

Your pc components don't mind being ice cold, so it's completely fine to run without a stat system like a car :)

With regard to pump speed, I'm not sure how the maths would work - but in a pump thats twice as fast, the water spends half the time in the radiator, but visits it twice as often, so surely it wont matter?

5. Ryan Cooper

Ryan Cooper It's been a long time.

Really liking the mod Cheaps!

Cant wait to see what the second block's gonna look like!

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

EPDM is recommended for anything other than water.

Cheaps, you'll love what I'm cooking up. I'm hunting for batteries at the moment, but I'm finally getting all my custom pieces together... pump top, reservoir, blocks, all of it.

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I really started something here. Dueling Modders! Sweet. C7 blocks for the masses. Soon at your local forum.
    Oh, and EPDM clear hard tubing is recommended for very accurate Nerf rebarrel jobs. LOL
    Just havin' fun. :clap::clap:
    John

8. KayinBlack

C7? Mine is a C2D, a MSI P7N Platinum, and a pair of 8800 GTS. Go for that one.

However, I'm starting from somewhere, cause I have no mill.

9. jhanlon303

I have an un-named engineering sample with an Atom processor around here somewhere. Just got it last week. Another mini-ITX sample. Supposed to be for a US CableTV PVR box of some sort or other. Stuff gets littler and quicker too.
    Grab an old Tivo series 2 box with hard drive and replace the MB, add MythTV or Mediaportal, all done.
    We live in good times!
    John

10. KayinBlack

You make Kayin sad. I need goodies like that. I'm sure I could put a second system in here, if I had it. But, I'm glad to see it's gone to someone who will love it and abuse it and make it scream for mercy before all the blue smoke comes out.

11. jhanlon303

When I'm not retired, I make the blue smoke for a living. I've been doing computers since before they invented PCs and keyboards. I'm pretty good.

Do this to get toys - Might want to write this down or save it somewhere.

1.) Go to several colleges and get several different degrees, doesn't really matter much what they are. Work your butt off for 2 or 3 decades and make a ton of money.
    2.) Pick a name for your company - Milehigh Electronics Engineering, BLARP
    3.) Slap a couple $1K in a bank account(see #1) for this name,
    4.) Create a nice letterhead for your company and go to the Chinese Manufacturers(put the letters from step 1 behind your name on all correspondence), the money is for a letter of credit if asked for - most don't - many of which will do engineering samples in lots of 1 or 3.

Bingo! Stuff shows up at your door to check out. Some of these companies won't quit sending stuff! I have a ton of cases for Ipod Videos and have never owned an Ipod. Same company made cases for my iRiver stuff.

MP3 players with 1.8" hard drives and cool screens - $5, I had so many digital picture frames I was giving them as gifts to the trash collection men.

If it''s considered an engineering sample - it's not ready for your market and no VAT or customs. Not a finished product. Just pieces.
    John

PS: End of tonight's ramble and I hope someone will THINK about this.

12. KayinBlack

Think about it I will.

Finally got the Al pulled from the CPU loop. I'm gonna run a mixed metal chipset loop, but that will be when I get all my blocks made. That's 3-4 blocks to build, and I'm still doing all this with drill, hand files, and a coping saw and hacksaw. Need new blade on the hacksaw, to boot.

I'm still fixing the fittings for my VGA loop as well. I'm sorely tempted to run a submerged pump, just cause I have PLENTY of space to do so. Any opinions?

Cheaps, when I get pics I'll make a new thread, I've derailed this too far as is.

13. Cheapskate

Is this the right place? It looks like a thread I made.
    Where am I? :hehe:
    Thanks guys. (-Mostly Ryan.:hehe:)
    @Kayin - I feel for you. Cutting copper with a hack saw SUCKS! That was the first thing I had to do for this update. It was particularly painful because I was out the previous day digging concrete out of the ground.
    [​IMG]
    -After milling it clean, it's still too big. I traced the plexi for a template, then forgot I had to mill out the marks out completely. I cut on the wrong side of the line, in other words.
    [​IMG]
    -Drilled and countersunk mounting holes.
    [​IMG]
    -I drilled a hole in each centerpoint of the O-ring well so I could flip the part over to mill it. These tiny bits require a lot of water, otherwise they melt and fuse to the plexi. They're tiny, so there's nowhere for the heat to escape to.
    [​IMG]
    -My rotary table in all it's greasy, dirty glory. The floor matches today.
    [​IMG]
    -First I use a 3/4" countersink to center the hole on the press...
    [​IMG]
    -I clamp it to the platform, then use the point of the bit to center the plexi. I was half way through the first pass before I remembered I was supposed to flip the part over.:sigh: That's what I get for doing this before breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut out another peice, repeated steps 1-6, etc... and got the ring wells milled.
    [​IMG]
    -I brought out a new pen to stain this one. The previous pen was laying down some grime on the last layer on block one.
    [​IMG]
    -It crazed a little where the solvent pooled in the holes. It shouldn't be a big problem. Most of it will be cut out anyway, (and it looks neat to me.)
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the clamping for the diagonal channel. I had to get between the mounting screws. I had a lot more room than I orignally imagined.
    [​IMG]
    -'Huuur!'
    [​IMG]
    -The channel was big enough I had to sand and polish it a bit.:( When I hit it with the glue it will be back to normal.
    [​IMG]
    -This is layer 3 glued down. It got locked in the bathroom until it aired out. I need to go back to gluing in the garage. I got into a bad habit of doing this stuff indoors lately. The stuff stinks, and the can says that it causes cancer in California.
    ...So if you live in Cali, stay away from this stuff!:D
    [​IMG]
    -I managed to work the screws in without incident. Oiling the holes is helping a lot. (EEL, NO!)
    [​IMG]
    -The 'template' is going to help for finding where I need to drill the barb holes.
    That's it for today.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

oil, screws, and holes... hmmm

so you used KY in that hole to give it a screw! lol!

15. jhanlon303

My experience is that it is usually more productive to lubricate the holes before drilling and screwing. Oh and always remember which side is up.
    Good work.

16. Cheapskate

...and I have a habit of trying to jam it in and breaking it off at the base. Those holes are too tight.
    -What were we talking about again?

17. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

Nice cooling block keep it up man

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

You're a bunch of dirty, silly guys, that's what you are! And I like it.

Also keep up the good work, you can never go wrong with total overkill... I once made a water block for P1 166 MHz just for the hell of it. Was good fun even though it never really ended in use (wonder why...).

19. Cheapskate

Thanks guys.
    @Jipa - You win man! That is overkill. You could have placed an aluminum can on a 166 to 'watercool' it.:hehe:

20. jhanlon303

I saw a thread once somewhere (MaximumPC?) where a dude used a beer can and dry ice! Cracked the CPU chip with too cold.

Back on topic:
    You are making 2 of everything aren't you? We have 2 boards between us. The new board is for you.