1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Asus Aftermarket Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 9 Nov 2008.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Not sure why, but bit-tech only review a couple of brands of aftermarket graphics cards - presmably those companies pay for banner ads here, or something. Asus have the hands-down most awesome cooler designs out there, their upcoming HD4870 X2 in particular:
    [​IMG]
    ...look me in the relix and tell me that's not the most badass thing since the Thermalright 120. And yes, I'm shallow enough that I'd actually buy a card just because it looked like that :)
    On which note, the Asus GTXs are pleasingly similar:
    [​IMG]
    camo is horrible, but I'd spraypaint it to perfection.
    [​IMG]
    closer, but still black-marker-worthy

So practical question, does anyone have any experience of the Asus GTX20+ (216-core) compared to the BFG Maxcore OCX model? Will they be more or less identical, or is there a reason nobody talks about Asus cards?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

BiT tend to review whatever they get sent - some manufacturers don't send stuff, so it you won't see every brand.

Besides which, a lot of cards are just a branded copy of the stock cards anyway - that Asus in the first picture is just a sticker over the top of the stock cooler. The others are a slightly different shape, but still basically the same.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We test what we're sent, there's no correlation between commercial and editorial - this is a strict policy (that Dennis reiterates actually - commercial is on a completely separate floor on both companies to the labs and editorial).

We've tested Asus cards previously - use the search :) We've just not had that much in a while - suppliers come and go, more recently we've got Gainward and Palit again, but less Asus, Point of View etc. It's just how the industry goes on our end as suppliers refocus on some regions rather than others (the UK is popular but sometimes bad value or over-saturated compared to the popular and commercially improving eastern block or Russia for example), or PR people come and go so existing relationships are lost and new ones made etc.

For Asus specifically - the PR left and is now at Nvidia. We've got a new PR guy for components (he's very good at his job too) but he/Asus concentrates on motherboards more than graphics these days I think.

Their cooler design is simply a re-sticker - underneath it's completely standard. They've had the hot chick for over a year now too :) They have done some unique stuff - 3870 X2 iirc - but we try to look at more unique after market coolers once the new architecture reviews are done because they're *actually different*.

FYI: Asus makes ALL the Nvidia GTX cards today.

Anyway, I hope that insight lets you understand a little more into our industry :)

4. boiled_elephant

It does, a lot :)

But ye be warned, I'm buying the Asus GTX 260 (216 core) over the BFG ~ OCX now, and if it burns my house down or turns out to be possessed by evil spirits I'm quoting you on them being exactly the same card!

I might have to change my p182 for a windowed case, too, so I can see the card all the time :sigh:

5. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

[​IMG]
    That's a sexy looking Asus card. Would love to have had that cooler on a GTX 260.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You realise that once it's in the case it faces the floor - you'll never see it.

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

what cards are those?

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I dont really see the point tbh like bindi said your not going to see that part of the card when its in a case. Id buy a card with different cooler design, but i wouldnt base a buying decision on a stock cooler witha sticker that looks cool.

10. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

...unless you have a case that mounts the motherboard upside down... Seriously though, in a windowed case, the GTX 2xx series looks really nice with the card being completely encased like they are, which is also one of the reasons I never buy ATi cards when they are first released (I can't stand the red pcb's). I'll usually wait for someone to release one with a blue or black pcb and a better cooler to top it off.

11. boiled_elephant

Such devices exist?!:blah: :) :D

12. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

A few. The Lian-Li PC V1000 comes to mind.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

*hugs lian-li clone*

14. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Guys I'm not supposed to show you this yet but I'm going to do it anyone. Please don't tell my boss.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Nov 2008