1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Left 4 Dead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Nov 2008.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I'd just like to say myself and three steam friends completed Dead Air last night on advanced without a single restart and all four survivors getting rescued :D It was quite possibly the proudest moment I've ever experiences in multi-player gaming - WOO!

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

Sure, I understand... many will want to head down to the local games store and that's fine. Steam is widely considered (just read the bit-tech forums, it's not just us saying this) the best digital distribution platform out there - I've certainly read a lot of "if only this was on Steam" comments recently, that's for sure. I think that speaks volumes about how well received Steam is.

I understand your worries with the activation servers, but that's the same with any game requiring online activation (which is a large portion these days thanks to Securom) that you buy from Game. I think the last time anyone had a problem with Steam's activation servers was in the HL2 era, where Valve just completely screwed the pooch big time... but even then, many weren't affected at all. :)

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

You did it with your gamma and brightness turned right up though, yeah? :p

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

You can host locally or connect to a dedicated server which is automatically selected, although for co-op a local host on a decent broadband connection is more than enough for lag free zombie blasting fun times. The dedicated servers seem a little dodgy to us, as you;re never sure if you're connecting to a well run server by a company, or a 386 in some guys basement.

Yes 4-player co-op is the max, although you can play 8 player versus with 4 players taking over as the boss infected.

And in regards of hold out modes like horde from GOW2 - nothing in the game, but I'm sure it won't take long for the modders to sort something out. The finale levels are very much like it though, with you having to hold a certain location and tons of zombies attacking.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Those screen shots are from rich's PC not mine :p

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Seeing to comments on here and other forums its a really really short game. I will wait till the price drops.

7. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Wandering to work (and to GAME) are some of the sparse few times that I see the outside of a room. Please dont take away my light Mr S

Please!!!

8. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

HL2:EP2 comes to mind...

9. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

That's like saying TF2 or CSS is short... Treat it like a multiplayer game. I've been playing fairly consistently since it's release and haven't even touched 2 of the campaigns, been having way way too much fun in VS on the hospital levels. I like VS the most, you get the best of both worlds, horde and survivors, as you switch sides after each level to see who can survive the best (you get points).
    The only faults I have with the game is I don't like how there is nothing connecting the campaigns storywise, nor is the server search function quite up to scratch yet (although that's probably because there aren't enough servers in Australasia). But neither of those faults really effect gameplay, 9/10 for me :D

Last edited: 20 Nov 2008
  10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Quite, which is why I've not played Bioshock or Far Cry 2, both of which I'd like to have looked at, but it's very simple - I'm not into piracy, and all this DRM makes it simply too bad a deal, so I go without.

Seeing people supporting things like Steam makes me spit because junk like Steam is the reason I don't get to play computer games anymore. I wish the gaming press would take people to task a bit more over this. Vague allusions to possibly maybe creating a patch, maybe, at some point, possibly, aren't good enough. They're obviously not going to spend the money to do that on an end-of-line product.

I can still play Amiga games if I fancy a bit of nostalgia. PC gaming, on the other hand, will fade away into history and never be seen again.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Bioshock did. :duh: :wallbash:

12. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I see where you're coming from, and I am worried about games from securom becoming unplayable in the distant future (I love my Mass Effect :(). But this is the largest games distribution platform on the net, becoming ever more popular as time goes on. The likeliness Valve goes bankrupt, takes steam offline, and doesn't release a patch so people can play their games is nil in my mind.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

So, for misanthropes like myself, it is probably a massive waste of time buying it?

Just as I suspected! :D

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That's sort of the point: it's infinitely replayable.

And Versus mode is AWESOME! Nothing more fun than charging around as a Tank watching the little people flee in terror!

15. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

this is one hell of a game!! Turn the speakers/bass right up and lights out it really makes me scared while playing.

16. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Some one should buy me this, i might see if i can take all my old 360 games in to play n trade or gamestop and hopefully get enough credit to get the game. :/

17. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I've played the demo and I was massively disappointed to be honest. In single player it's far too easy and not scary in the slightest, I don't think you get any sense of atmosphere from the game. In multiplayer the gameplay just doesn't hold up well enough to keep my interest.

Really struggling to see what I'm missing here that everyone loves about it, but it just does nothing for me, there's no depth, feels very cheaply made, like it should be a free mod rather than a full on retail game.

18. roadie

roadie What's a Dremel?

Single player is rubbish. It's all about playing with other people, and the game then really comes alive. My copy from Amazon has just been dispatched, so hopefully I'll receive it for a few hours use over the weekend.

19. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Let me guess... you weren't playing it on Expert were you?

Right, go back and play it again on Expert, and then come back to us with informed opinions. ;)

20. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

It was most excellent, especially towards the end of one level where we all rushed for the safe room with minimal health.

I

Tags: Add Tags