1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Left 4 Dead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Nov 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I played through "No Mercy" last night in a little over an hour on normal but that was with the ninja shot fall on their sword bots. When I played the demo the bots were over powered in normal but fell a little short on advanced, going to find out tonight.

2. gibber

gibber What's a Dremel?

Advanced is the way to go imo. Its hard enough for me, and I can avoid all the l33t kids that populate expert coop or verses servers.

Still havent survived Blood harvest on advanced though.

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

advanced is the way to go, for sure.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I can do advanced now, but I find I have to play them on normal first so I learn the layout. Otherwise I take too long looking in siderooms and the AI directors ups the rapage.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Blood Harvest is the only one I can't do. The finale is just brutal, and that corn field gives me the willies every time. I always end up just legging it across now and hiding in the house. "Shhh, they don't know I'm here!" :)

6. CardJoe

Pfft. Blood harvest is by far the easiest one to do and the house can be held easily by just two survivors and one AI. PM or Text me - we'll team up and take it together!

The corn field however can be a bitch.

7. Stickeh

I think it was fury who showed us a sweet trick to hold the barn rather than the house, works so well.

Everyone is upstairs, two people sit on the wooden beams that overlook the ladder, 2 people the other end covering the only way zombies can get in through a whole in the barn roof, and watching whats coming in. Usually there is an ammo deposit up there too.

We had 2 tanks, one that couldn't climb up to us so it was just shooting fish in a barrel, and the other got stuck by the house's patio fence thing haha.

This game is ruining my education.

8. CardJoe

I've found the easiest way is to get in the house at the top of the stairs. One person can hold the stairs on their own and, with all the doors closed, the other three can manages the three doors and offer support. If you stay in the hall at the top of the stairs then you can just take them down as they come through the windows. If you need to run for ammo then someone can run down and cover the bottom of the stairs.

If a a tank arrives then you can make it out of the windows to get some height and distance on him before he reaches the house. If a boomer comes or if a disaster strikes then those who've been targeted can retreat into the bathroom at the top of the stairs. There's only one way in or out of there, so with plenty of melees you can just knock the zombies back and keep them out, shooting when needed. the fact that the room is so small means smokers can't easily get you.

Sorted.

9. Stickeh

But what about when the tank arrives and you're all stuck in this tiny bathroom because the zombies are not dead and blocking your way ? :(

10. CardJoe

Never happened to me yet, because it's so easy to hold the top of the stairs even on advanced.

Don't get me wrong - being on the beams is a safer plan, but to me it feels too much like a glitch or exploit to be fun.

11. Stickeh

Oh i know, while its a sure-fire way to win the level, it wasnt half as fun as screaming your head off while being chased by a tank around the house, shooting down on it just made it too easy.

Reminds me of the versus game we had the other day, we got so over run me and a friend decided to just leg it and leave the other two AI players behind,running to the train safe house just before the cornfields, the tank noise sparked up and bill was ahead shouting DONT TURN AROUND, i had to look i was so caught up in suspense, and there it was bounding down the tracks a big ass tank with about 20 zombies in front of it, just like on the opening video the tank was getting closer and closer and i was just killing off the front few zombies, luckily JUST made it to the safe house in time. I've never had my heart pumping over a game before!

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Mmm, I dunno. The hallway is the best place to hold the line in the house, but the problem is the tanks. As they can spawn basically anywhere outside the house, they have a nasty habit in my experience of sneaking into a room downstairs you can't see from any of the windows upstairs. Before you know it, he's in the house and charging up the stairs, and the only thing to do is leg it out of the house, and that in itself is suicide.

The barn trick does work particularly well if everyone knows where to sit, I first saw it in action last night on normal (I was finishing off one of my girlfriend's games) and we completed it without being hit once. I would have gotten the Untouchables achievement if it wasn't for a single Zed that hit me on the way into the truck. That said, on Advanced I imagine it takes a great deal more teamwork, and if you're good enough as a team to do it without difficulty on Advanced, it's time to move to Expert.

And if you can do it without difficulty on Expert... then well you're just too good aren't you?

I tried that a few days ago. All was going to plan, the horde was miles behind us, no worries. Apart from the witch, sitting in the doorway of the safehouse. We ended up sacrificing a player to lure the witch away whilst we hid in the safe house and giggled like small school girls.

13. Stickeh

Yes, yes you are.

We attempted to play through them on expert last night, but the game never really started off so it fell apart. Got to try it sometime, though with some of my clan members its not the zombies i have to be worried about, its friendly fire incidents!

14. CardJoe

Not at all. You can usually get out the window and over to the barn if you need to, or run backwards to the front door without taking damage. If the tank comes in the window then the stairs are clear, so you can take them.

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Fine, lets have another game and you can show me how it's done if it's sooooooooooooo easy.

By the way, if it turns out you can do it without difficulty, I'm going to shoot you in the back and blame the zombies. Just so you know. ;)

16. Stickeh

Don't forget to invite me in! Though i need to be doing work, I WANT SHOOT MORE ZOMBIES WOOT.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Major update yesterday:

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

What i really want is an easy way to connect to my own server via the lobby right now its a bloody mess.

20. Stickeh

I'm in the process of making my mini zombie proof
    seehere

Tags: Add Tags