1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Aug 2008.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

now lets see if they catch up in cpus

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i given up on my 9800gx2 as to unstable to use (COD4 crashs on the servers called SMART, its an mod AWE4 when an certen next map loads or loads for me to play get an Nice NV4 Nvidia driver BSOD) no SLI works fine, but i had problems with other games stuttering (big micro stuttering) on Smoke that Tanks the FPS down to low 10-20FPS then back up to norm FPS

the 4870x2 looks nice but unable to turn off the CF means not so usefull for folding and i have allways been sole believer in uber fast single cards for an long time and the 9800GX2 is not makeing me want to use SLI (like the 8800GTX owner for 2 years), like SLI you cant know if the CF is working right, and like the 9800GX2 just not stable and consistant (GTX 280 for me as that is an step up from an 8800gtx, the 4870 is more like an small step up from an 9800gtx) i just leave the other 9800GX2 in my second slot for folding 3xGPU on the GTX280 as well (1200w TT toughpower) i can allso put the PyisX onto one of the 9800GX2 cards

all the above may be my fault with SLI not working as well (i can think of 3 things, upgraded mobo but did not reload, CPU mite be broke as it not OC any more or the mobo is half broke, maybe this Striker extreme 1 mobo is crap as not been likeing me ever the Upto date BIOS is no better then the older ones) very sure this does this on vista boot drive as well

i realy would like to buy the 4870x2 as all of my Lower end pcs are all AMD (chipset as well) but its the folding part that leads me away

need to lose this motherboard get an new one as i been mostly limited now on my low speed q6600 now (my amd dual core clocked at 3.3ghz is faster then q6600@2.4) goign to make an new topic for that one

Last edited: 18 Aug 2008
  3. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

Dell

4. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

I just bought one of these and unlimbered it tonight. From the weight and metal projections I felt like I was handling small arms rather than a graphics card :). Now, I need a Danger Den water block for this and I will be UUUUUUUUBER :)

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

:D

6. SiliconDoc

SiliconDoc What's a Dremel?

Hello across the pond, love the intellect shown.
    It's just amazing to me - and this of course is not about just this review, but nearly everyone I've seen. I guess one just doesn't notice it at all offhand.
    When the 4870x2 is reviewed, suddenly, SLI setups are absolutely and completely 100% forgotten - as if they don't exist at all - as if they never have.
    On the other hand, if the 260 or the 280 is being reviewed, all sort of crossfire configs suddenly appear, and of course for a long time now the 4870x2, and then of course there are questions and endless queries as to why the 260 or 280 is shamed and beaten down...
    I mean it is absolutely ASTOUNDING to me.
    Now that the 295 (4870x2) killer has hit, I can hardly wait to see the next round of supremely biased tricks, that the mindless masses will drool, drink, and repeat.
    I already seen the red 4870x2 fans going into a blanching disbelief mode at the review results.
    Let's see, when we test the 9800gx2, we put the 4850 crossfire against it, the 4870 x2 even combos of 4870 CF 512+1024 , but somehow the 4870x2 get the "single card test favor" ONLY.
    It's like so much poppycock - i'm just ready to beat the tar out of something. Oh what a great trick, oh that was so masterful, what a wonderful, wonderful review...
    Ok, that's all I had to say, and I was not being sarcastic about the intellect I notice across the pond - it's there, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I'm sure the review is great (oh gawd... ok I can't lie very well I'M SURE THE REVIEW IS GREATLY BIASED)
    Jiminy crickets.
    I think ATI put some new NSA homeland security "designer mind control drug" in the pcb of the ATI cards - yes it's a nasty and invasive experiment but so far it's results have been a huge success !
    Good day !

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

What they need is some form of pin header where you can put whatever you want on it :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I get flak from both pools of fanboys - just yesterday I read a thread on another forum suggesting that I'd written a number of "paid for by Nvidia" reviews and now this. Yes, just to satisfy your conspiracy theory, ATI has a department similar to NSA Homeland Security that poisons my mind and makes me write nice things about their products. Heh.

But anyway... let's get back to reality: as the saying goes, if you're getting flak from both sides, you must be pretty close to the truth. So I guess I should say, err, thanks. :duh:

9. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Bugger what they say mate, Bit-tech is the one site i actually trust when it comes to reviewing stuff or even talking about it and im sure im not the only one who thinks that around here either

i actually like that you lot say it how it is and **** what others think if only more people were like that tbh

10. SiliconDoc

You know what , I agree with you.

I must say when I first read your reply I wasn't convinced, but I went and checked some of the other reviews on vidcards - and this site does do a lot better than many others.

I agree with you. I saw one site yesterday that was fair - and thanked the guy (the editor in fact) for not towing an agenda. I guess you just lucked out with me seeing your review first when I got here. There are a lot of haters for the top dog that took their money before ATI caught up. A LOT of them.

I'm not a normal fanboy, Honesty is my company, so for those bleeding red... (I'd write words against green fanboys but they are quite uncommon or diminutive - in fact, they act like they agree most of the time - so there are plenty of conventional understanding lies out there.)

Cuda, PhysX, NVidia did the 2 cards on one chip first (way back in voodoo2 days) not ATI. The GTX295 is not a greedy swipe for the crown, it is a service to those with single slot 16x boards, and even SLI boards with only 2 slots - and anyone that dislikes CCC but wants massive speed - or bragging rights.
    Since the GTX260 is only 1-3 watts higher in 3d and 15-30 watts lower in 2d/idle, the GTX260 has better power characteristics than the 4870 - so no the 4870 doesn't beat it with less power.
    The GTX295 however, DOES do that to the 4870x2.

If Nvidia is losing money on their GT200 cores and ATI can drop their prices on the 700/770 then whom is really getting gouged now ? :D Yes, thank you ati for competing and dropping NV's high prices, but if you really can go lower so much easier, why didn't you destroy NV? - we know why....

I'm all for telling the truth.
    The 4870 is an awesome card, as well as it's x2 version, but that doesn't mean lying every chance one gets to make it better is the right thing to do - so claiming it wins because 2560 aa af is cool (and often unplayable especially the $1500 moniors) doesn't cut it for honesty, either.

Just a few things that were already stuck far under my craw when I got here. If you're honest you'll easily admit there's a lot of red fan and a lot of green hate going on. When there's a chance to hurt the top dog that had such high prices for so long, a lot of people will do almost anything to "make it happen".

Last edited: 1 Jan 2009
  11. SiliconDoc

Now don't go off -

Take a look at my posting numbers, and cool off.
    I agreee with the fellow - in fact I looked at a few other reviews and this site is not doing what others do as far as the little time I looked.

I jumped perhaps too quickly ( not that he excused my points, he didn't - but I can understand when other reviews here cover what I complained about )

I think this is a great site now - I see the reviews are plenty, I've always liked the /Aussiebrit intellect, and I've sent a link to an overclocking friend.

Don't get all juiced! :waah:

12. SiliconDoc

My apologies, really.

I read your final thoughts page instead of just seeing the list of cards reviewed, and I do apologize. you were actually completely honest.
    Sorry to the "hippy friend" there, *Gremlin, xI can't see your name right nowx, but yes, you were correct - too.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2009
Tags: Add Tags