1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony expected to post first loss in 14 years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can't imagine that they were expecting much better than this.

That said, that is a rather large amount of money..

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Well the Consumer Electronic sector suffered it's first decline in like 20 years last year, so it's no surprise a company like Sony, that launches products like the PS3 that so much rely on people having lots of spare cash for high end electronic equipment, is suffering as a result.

4. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Always good to hear about big company losing money.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

So its good to see lots of people become unemployed and familes suffering.

Your nice.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

another 16k jobs gone

dang the world is in freefall

7. rollo

rollo Modder

as a old friend of mine said before he got fired

theres no such thing as a 100% secure job

so n3mo either lives of state or is still school ?

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

They won the format war, presumably there is profit to come in the years ahead?

9. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Seems like alot of money to us but I bet to a mega corporation like sony that isnt all that much...they are selling luxery items too, and times like these people dont buy luxery..

10. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

They beat HD-DVD to be the souped-up dvd, higher resolution movie format for now, but they have yet to convince much more than the wealthy and the early adopters that there is a point in switching to blu-ray over dvd and to make profit they absolutely need to do that before a true next generation tech comes along and renders it truely obsolete, which may or may not be before they have turned a profit.

11. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Aside from a few things like the PS3, Sony electronics has been garbage for a decade or more. There was a time when Sony meant "quality" but that was a long long time ago.

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I have seen many Sony products in the past year (an HD camera, a new Bravia, an Mp3 player) that people (I know) have purchased and I was able to experience myself and they were all very high quality and what I expected from a Sony product. I don't know about your experience though.

13. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Considering the state of the worlds finances ATM, this is hardly surprising news. :sigh:

14. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Last company i worked in seemed rock stable, until it was eaten by a bigger one and everyone got laid (off). Then I did some freelancing in uk and currently I have a company of my own (two actually), so I should know about job security.

My dislike of big companies is caused by their inclines towards giving their customers crap and calling it roses but is also more personal - as my company is small, our biggest issue are the bigger ones doing everything they can to wipe out the smaller, usually balancing on the borderline of law or crossing it severely and relying on their high-paid lawyers.

So as much as I feel for the workers of Sony (or any other company), I am not going to cry over it. Big company in trouble is almost always good news for the smaller ones, but also for customers (price cuts, more competition on the market).

15. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

When i saw the words loss and Sony - console-fail immdeatly poped into my mind. But then again everybody is suffering ...

16k workers being told to go home ?! Wonder what type of workforce this will be or if it is going to be mixed.

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Whats weak with the large company's is that it goes well for 15 years and if they loose some money in year 16, thousands of employees have to go. The same employees that worked their asses to keep the company healthy for 15 years. A smart company would have build up a reserve for that 15 years to compensate for the bad years and pay employees out of the reserve.

they should kick some of staff or a bunch of managers out, because every one member of the staff has probably the same salary in a month that 500 employees make in a year. (not counting the enormous bonuses they get each year)

Its a goddamn shame it goes this way.

17. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

Well if Sony give them a PS3 as part of the severage package that'll be another 16,000 units moved and give them something to do while they look for another job.

Hell they might as well throw in a Sony HDTV as no-one going to be buying them anyway if the recession bites any deaper.

18. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

on the ond hand, as I don't really care for Sony as a company, this is 'good news', on the other hand I feel bad for those 16,000 people :( sucky time to lose your job

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is happening to everyone everywhere...

edit: the sink hole is getting near!!

Tags: Add Tags