Strikes in the UK

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Burnout21, 31 Jan 2009.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Skilled in ways that British works can't be? Bringing up one article about farming does not prove that ever person in or seeking work in the UK would rather be on the dole. You've also ignored my points about contributions to local economies. We've discussed this over and over. Hiring a foreign firm with it's own mobile workforce, even though it probably is more financially attractive, is extremely insensitive to the many local workers at the plant during a recession. Hence, the workers are angry. Finding articles and lecturing on what economic policy they must abide to isn't going to change their minds. I support them because I feel some of the reasons they are protesting is right, and on the whole I think it highlights more that the government isn't taking enough action to protect British jobs by improving the British workforce. Part of this improvement is making sure they can have the chance to demonstrate their abilities with work like this oil refinery contract. I understand you believe the government shouldn't help them and that the workers should somehow magic the skills out of thin air to become more competitive. I sincerely hope that there aren't enough people supporting your view to make that the way of things, in which case I can't really see anyone born in the UK having any employability from here forth.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Right thats it!

This can only be settled by a duel, Sir pick your keyboard! lol!

[​IMG]

Im going for a trusty IBM with steel backing plate, that should smash most things!

Last edited: 4 Feb 2009
    mvagusta likes this.
  3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Hang on, so it would be ok to employ foreign workers if the economy was all woohoo, but because we're suddenly in a "crisis", we all have to only employ British workers, do we also have to fire any existing foreign workers in this country. of course we couldn't possibly accept any other country doing the same to brits abroad because they must all be highly skilled professionals and foreign countrys aren't able to train skilled professionals. Its all twaddle. we can not expect to pick good parts of economics but throw a hissy fit when the corresponding bad parts come our way. The only thing I am currently seeing from the strikes is unionist protectionism trying to make sure that no matter how badly they perform companies are unable to look for better employees. well that and if you want a job to proceed ontime and with out interruptions only higher British workers if your other choice is French. additionaly if the unions and workers feel so strongly about these issues why are the strikes not being voted on legitimately and legally instead of these wildcat strikes

Last edited: 5 Feb 2009
  5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i am here trying to imagine the reaction of those workers if the foreign workers were French....

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

If the workers were French they'd be on strike too, call it sympathy or the love of a good strike there's no way that French staff would be working while the British got a good strike.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

QFT! The french always love a good strike!

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Like Whisperwolf says: twaddle. Perhaps other countries should kick out the five million Brits working abroad and train their own workers up too. Anything you can do...

You may argue that I showed you only one article about farming, but the number of immigrants working in the UK (500.000 from Eastern Europe alone) ought to tell you something. After all, they wouldn't be here if there wasn't a job for them do do, right? Where were the UK labourers? As for contributing to the local economy: those few hundred Italians on a boat may not be contributing much, but millions of immigrants contribute on balance £6 billion more to the economy of the UK than they take out.

You argue that local workers cannot magic skills out of the air and that the government should support them. There are government training, vovation and employment schemes (remember New Deal for instance?), Studying While On Benefit schemes, NVQ and apprenticeship schemes. The Individual Learning Account scheme alone cost £273 million. The Employers Training Programme, which is geared to delivering Level 2 vocational qualifications - the equivalent of five good GCSEs - and basic numeracy, literacy and IT skills, cost £355 million. The total budget for all these schemes is about £9 billion. Are we learning yet?

It is simple: the other guys got the job because their qualifications were slightly better. Now do you throw a sulk and strike, or do you make sure to sharpen up on your skills for the next job you apply for?

Protectionism is bad for the economy. It scares off foreign investors. If you can't hire the best staff at the most competitive price, how are you going to compete with businesses that can? Recently the Luxembourg prime minister said that a company run by a British citizen with its head office in the Netherlands is an unwelcome bidder for a steel firm. He'll probably take his business elsewhere (China is always open. Even on Christmas). Who ends up losing out? The local steel workers.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2009
  9. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Im sure I heared from a 3rd party today regarding this that some guy said "British workers are the best". Our Polish welders are generally better than the British ones, its the same story at two other firms I have had a chat with too.

10. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Everyone thinks they're the best, regardless of the facts. I mean look at Americans, we consider we're the best in absolutely everything when it clearly isn't the fact.

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I'm under the impression that when he says "our", he means the welders employed by a company in the UK. Not as in, every Polish welder.

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

And don't forget, in the next round of job cuts the decision will have consequences, loyality to the company is just as important as skills and working for less than the next guy.

13. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Right I'll reiterate this point again one the first day of the strike the BBC, Sky news, ITV news & C4 news all played pictures of one bloke outside the refinery said: "They want it built quicker, they want it built cheaper, but they wont get the same quality".

Which for me explained why the italians got the contract and not the brits, I mean everyone just seemed to miss the fact that the guy shot himself in the foot. He explained exactly why the brits never got the job when he said they want it built quicker and cheaper, what business wouldnt? As for the they wont get the same quality, well why wouldnt they? Im sure theyll be using skilled and qualified engineers.

If they want the jobs they need to be competitive, instead of standing about moaning. I mean when I go for a job I dont expect the best wage straight away, I tell them start me on the lowest pay and if you think im good enough pay me more.

14. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7868777.stm

The strikes ended on Thursday, with strikers accepting a deal to create 102 new jobs which will be advertised locally. This is a very positive move, a suitable compromise between all involved and I'm glad the strikers have accepted it. At least now locals have the opportunity to apply, which they were denied in the case of disputed 400 jobs.