1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games that break themselves: Hitman 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I couldn't get past the first few levels of this game but I really want to go back and play it again.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I remember playing this game ages ago and loved it, i still play some games too stealthily thanks to 47, i still have to remind myself that i can run and gun and not be penalised.

Now i think about it i don't think i got passed the ninjas either... Must go do that.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2009
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's been so long since I played that game, I've clean forgotten the levels you're refering to.

I feel that Blood Money betrayed the whole.. Sneaking around aspect with the final level. I enjoyed it, no question, but it seemed very.. Unlike 47.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's worth saying that since I wrote this I've actually pushed on with the game a bit and it definitely redeems itself. I just did the Jacuzzi Job mission and loved every moment of it - shutting out the lights and walking past everyone with Nightvision was absolutely classic.

That said, I do wonder why the bikini-clad babes in that level were all packing .35s...

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That was definitely the oddest bit of Hitman 2. The most irritating, as well - those snipers suffered from the 'omnipotent AI' syndrome that is still making appearances in a rather large number of games... you know the drill - can see in pitch dark from a mile away, through solid objects... *bang* ...reload... *bang* ....reload... *bang* ...sod this for a game of cowboys... quit. :hehe: Hitman 1 did it as well - one level in particular where you sneak into a Coke Lords' mansion, and then have to off him with a pistol while he's running around calling guards and firing M60 rounds at you. Bah.

Despite the flaws, though... the Hitman games were some of the most fun I had at the times they were released.

They suffered in the replayability stakes, though... by the time I figured out how to do each level as a 'Silent Assassin', I'd reloaded so many times and tried so many different tactics that there wasn't really any reason to go back and play it again... unless for the amusement factor of going in with all guns blazing just for the hell of it. :D

boiled_elephant likes this.
  7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Twin ballers, when you know you've mucked up but still want to have some fun (or when you absolutely positively have to kill every last mother-of-pearl in the room.....)

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I have to say I loved the Iran motorcade level too. Hiding on that rooftop with the car coming towards the town, directly towards me.

BANG - over the shoulders of the UN guards and straight into the head of the target. Awesome.

9. Paradigm Shifter

*is in process of reinstalling Hitman 2 due to this blog post*

I forgot about the motorcade hit. Setting that up was awesome. :D

10. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

The game did seem to cheat me too many times, especially in that level. Too many levels turned too easily into an all out shootout. The worst thing was that it seemed that once your cover was blown, you really couldn't recover.

11. Paradigm Shifter

So, really, that was fairly "realistic" (for a given value of realistic) then? I mean, it's not likely that any security forces are going to magically go, "Oh, I haven't seen anything strange for the last five minutes... must have all been my imagination!" the way they do in some games. ;)

I quite liked the "get caught and you've basically failed" angle, as it always made me very, very cautious about doing anything that could get me spotted.

12. O O 7

O O 7 What's a Dremel?

I remember those Japanese levels. They were some of the hardest.

So I simply decided to take them out. ALL of them! I remember taking out all those 5 ninjas in that photo.

As far as I remember, in the first stage of the Jap level, if you shoot the tower snipers in the head, they fall backwards, but if you shoot them in the stomach, they fall forwards and they drop their sniper rifle.

The most amazing part was fighting the ninjas once you get inside the castle!

The best moment of the entire game for me was when I came out of a corner and a ninja who was right in front of me took his sword and ran at me. I tried to shoot him in the upper body, but he ducked and continued to run at me while ducking!! I just managed to hit him about 1 second before he could slash me up!

That was the coolest big of the whole game for me. I was like WOW! This guy has skill! RIP!

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

One of the all-time greats

I should state that I'm biased about this; I firmly believe Hitman 2 to be the best stealth-shooter I ever played on PS2, perhaps ever ever. I must've completed it about four times, which might be a worrying indication about me.... But undeniably it struck the just right balance between sneak and strangle, and to top it off it was nail-bitingly tense waiting to see if you'd get sudden bright red suspicion bars and foreign-language shouting.

I'm with you on the Japanese levels, though. In some respects three whole levels - the last three in Japan - are just too damn difficult because of the snipers and the way the game forces you to follow certain linear routes. The final assassination of that section, too, was almost impossible to complete to Silent Assassin standard because of the scripting :wallbash:

Still - brilliant game, and since it's about £1.99 these days GO AND GET THE DAMN GAME!

Tags: Add Tags