1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Arrg! Rowin!!! Quit teasing!!! If you get attacked by a herd of angry sheep before the 1st, We'll never know what you had planned!
    @Editor - Swweeet! Reminds me of 2001 for some reason. The Y got big! Do you have something planned there, or do you not trust plexiglas much?:hehe:

2. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

yeah as its where the 2 wc loops meet I have some ideas for something special in mind :D well as its all the rage to go mini these days I figured going full server size would make a change... plus it opens up to massive cooling power rwar!

3. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

@ cheap - u may get lucky one day cos its incredibly tempting to just show the entire thing, altho nothing special is even modeled up yet, all in the head!

@ Editor - Big = Best. I say a room sized computer for true a retro mod! u have done a great job so far.

4. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

great job Editor!! :clap: ive been thinking up of another design as well.

5. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Holy crap, Editor! You rock!

6. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks for the nice comments guys it's been a fun ride learning sketch up so far have to say that it will be a sad day when this comps over :( , undoubtedly I'll be attempting to rack everyone's brains when it comes to building this..... (hmm it needs a name other than "green thing" that its labelled now lol) so at least the fun doesnt have to stop here :rock:

7. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

And for those of you who don't speak emote, that means "Godsdamn you Sketchup, why did you lose 36 hours of design work!!!"

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

:( poor m0o0oeh you got any images to work from? on the bright side if your anything like me the original work is really messy and now at least when you do it again you can make it all neat and tidy plus you always get better ideas and tweaks when you redo something :) I bet you will be amazed at how much better it looks once you get going and then the dismay of losing the work will be gone forever <3

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I feel your pain. I have a desktop littered with Autosave_Autosave_Autosave_Autosave_Autosave_Autosave_entry.skp files, and the 5 minutes autosave is really pissing me off, but at least it's better then losing those designs where you finally got things right!

Here, have a cookie!

10. Cheapskate

Speaking of autosave temp files... If you crashed, that's the first file you want to reopen. It should be wherever you saved last, or in your my documents folder.

-I've crashed SU a lot. -Sometimes I just needed to walk away and let it process, (for 20 minutes...)

11. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Just incase anyone is unsure of how to change the auto save timer.. you go...

Window -> Preferences -> General (on the left)

For slower computers it can be a pain in the butt having 5 min saves when your project is rather large

12. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Another reason for not using SketchUp :hehe: I received my 3D mouse a few days ago, and I starting to get used to it. It's working great with SolidWorks, so I can't wait for the lan party where I will be designing a case during that full three days. "Live 3D casemodding" :)

13. Xtrafresh

What LAN is that Brinkz0r? I'm going to the rather small TTG LAN this weekend, you should come for shits & giggles :D

14. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Well, that's not really close to where I'm living. I will be going to Energy Lan, the 20th till 22nd of february. You should come :D

15. Xtrafresh

Man, i should have known earlier! If i go to a second LAN in one month my girlfriend will not approve. :lol:

I might pop in on sunday though to visit the stands and see what you did in the weekend. It would also be fun to see what this Ribbi guy can design for this little case :)
    Is that at all possible? LANs always seem to forget the casual visitors.

16. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Atleast the 3DConnexion products should support SU7 at the moment.. :)
    We really should start a solidworks part- library that we have with SU. :D

17. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Yes, it should be possible to drop by for just one day, and I believe you don't have to pay for it.

I agree, we should really make a website for that. Or for IGES models and such, so that Pro/E users can use them also. If I could only find the time...

18. scooby

scooby Minimodder

All you guys are an inspiration, keep up the great work.:rock:

I don't know if I have the time to finish an entry so I'll just give it a try and hope I make it in time. I have a good concept in the works but far from done. I was able to finish off the first draft of the fans though.

Since this is a Scratch Build open design I started thinking way not go nuts with the fan too. Hence this 120mm x 120mm x 40mm Twin-blade cooler. The design allows the front blades to spin counter-clock and the rear blades spinning clockwise all drawing the air in one direction...at least that's what I hope it will do. I just figure it would be a fun and crazy design and hope you enjoy it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't resist a rendering of the model just to see...not the best render but it would be a cool fan to have on top a radical radiator.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the rig design hopefully will be just as off-the-wall as the fan...we shall see?!?!

Again good luck to all the entries.

Scooby:naughty:

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Latest modifications I had. I had come up with another design but that fell through. Sorry guys, there won't be much 'impossibleness' out of my case design.

Also, can I get away without a proper mobo and vid card model? I'd hate to have to go through the trouble of trying to position it correctly and then redo the tubing and the power cable. :)

[​IMG]

20. Cheapskate

Whoo Hoo! Scooby's in!:D I like the turboprop too.

@Talledega - I have nothing against an invisible motherboard.