1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows New Messenger?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cool_dude, 19 Feb 2009.

1. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Hey guys

Anyone got the new messenger? Version 14 I think it is.

What the hell have they done to it? Whats with the changing the msn icons to squares... moving the display pictures to the left instead of the right?

Theres lots more Im frustrated about!! Anyone else annoyed with this 'revamp' ?

:wallbash:

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Version 14?! I'm so glad I stopped using msn. Every version got more invasive, limited and complicated all at once. I jumped ship as soon as they substituted useful types of versatility for flashing fonts and that anal "listening to" feature.

Since gmail and facebook both have built-in in-browser IM clients, MSN is going to struggle to stay relevant. We had a conversation about this recently and none of my flatmates use MSN since Facebook unleashed their funky thaaaang.

3. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

msn is horrible but a necessary part of my weekly radio show. the new version is the one that installed initially on Windows 7, then i saw it appear on Vista too, with the squares, etc.

Why oh why oh why, does it have to be so complicated? My other chat program, MIRC, loads in seconds, never crashes, gives me DECENT information about my connection status, and works on every computer without fail. Why, no HOW, have microsoft messed this up so badly, its JUST A CHAT PROGRAM after all.

4. boiled_elephant

That's the thing though, they've done a Sony/PS3 - tried to make it more than it is, not pausing to wonder if people want it to be. MSN tries too hard to be a mini-facebook/myspace/skype amalgamation now, but most people already have one or all of those, so the effort is unwelcome.

5. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Picked it up the other day after a reinstall of my system, hated it straight away, but thankfully after changing a bunch of things and Messenger Plus being updated its just about usable again.

6. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

i personaly love it. you dont get the name in your conversations over and over so if the same person speaks more than once it just adds it on a new line under there original post keeps it looking clean.

there is now a Faviouret list to add people you want to see if they are online quickly which is helpfull when you have lots of contacts keeping in touch with set people.

you can not customize the display which will also be visable to your contact when in a convo with you and you will see theres.

overall i am liking the new msn

7. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I began hating it after I was stopped from logging in because I hadn't updated to the latest version... :eyebrow:

So, Pidgin for me I guess - unless anyone get suggest a better alternative?

8. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Haha. I guess I'm using a really old version (8.1 to be exact from 2006). I'm happy with it though. As long as it continues to work I won't be upgrading or switching to anything new.

If anyone would like I wouldn't mind sending my .exe to them. I saved it a long time ago to make reloading computers quicker, never thought it would save me from the newest version. Haha.

9. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I seem to remember I hung onto that version for as long as I could too, until I upgraded my computer and couldn't find the .exe files...

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Dont use it. Just discovered that my new Touch Pro has it pre-installed. Haven't used it either. I get free text messages, may as well use them.

11. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

I've just re-installed the older 8.0 version :D

12. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

Think I will stick with pidgin, msn feels way to bloated, it's trying to do to many things. The most annoying feature has to be advertisements in my opinion. I realize that this is how the pay for the development, but it feels and looks terrible!

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

whats with windows live device manager, it wants to install, but i wont let it, until i understand what it is first.

MSN use to be great many years ago, then it got worse and worse all arounf the time when vista was released.

Now its pure SH*T!

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seems I'm the only one still using Trillian... :)

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Why can't people still use IRC?... :sigh:

IMO the newest version is a step up from the older versions. At lest not it's possible to make it look less bloated. It does require some tweaking, but it's a step in the right direction.

I have tried both Trillian and pidgin, but did never get comfortable with either. :/

16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

MSN/Windows Live messenger have always been bad but the newer versions seem like they are coded by Satan himself.

Miranda cheesecake, but using Pidgin at the mo.

Does anyone know if Miranda has started supporting offline messaging on MSN yet?

May have to try it for myself again some time, I really miss the epic levels of customisability.

17. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Lol i have it installed on my machine but didn't realise that its upto version 14 i have installed with all the other live apps but never use it, i remember back in the old days when you i had version 7 or 8. Oh can you also remember Windows Messenger not MSN messenger.

18. boiled_elephant

With IRC you don't have a centralised social list, just chat rooms, it's a bit difficult to keep track of your peers and family like you can with dedicated IM clients.

As for the new MSN being improved, with the lack of name repitition on double posts and such..they're just taking slow, delayed pointers from other clients. Gmail's built-in IM client does that. So does facebook's client I think. In fact, between all the web-integrated IM clients, I haven't used MSN or IRC in literally years...

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Nobody else uses A-Patch? Useful little utility to modify messenger.

http://apatch.org/

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's okay, prefer this over Yahoo, and it's useful to have a dedicated messenger rather than a webbrowser