1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP 64 Bit VS Vista 64 Bit - I7 920

Discussion in 'Software' started by seesoe, 24 Feb 2009.

?

xp (32/64 bit) or vista (32/64 bit)

1. XP 32 Bit

6.7%
  2. Vista 32 Bit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. XP 64 Bit

10.0%
  4. Vista 64 Bit

83.3%
  1. seesoe

seesoe What's a Dremel?

i know i know what a topic, but i have googled a lot and all the pages i find are all old.

i have all the parts in but i haven't put it together yet, but here is the specs on my new computer

Intel Core i7 920
    EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1
    6 2gb DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)'s

im not sure yet what os to run, i know it will mainly be windows, but im looking at these questions

and 64 bit xp or 64 bit vista?

let me hear everyone comments, ideas and questions.

thanks
    cheers
    seesoe

2. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

64-bit XP, hands down. You'll get all 'kinds' problems with Vista.

3. seesoe

seesoe What's a Dremel?

yeah, my mind has been on 64bit xp from the start, but i been getting a lot of crap from everywhere of mixed things.

the way i see it is, i have nothing to look forward to in vista that i don't have in xp, i don't see vista offering me anything but saying its vista and annoying me with its GUI.

if anyone has any two cents to share im glad to hear it:)

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

oh...you're serious, i mean that was a serious question? my earlier post that was sarcasm. XP 64bit will drive you to kill someone yeah, it's that bad. there's nothing wrong with vista esp since all your hardware is current I doubt that you will run into any driver problems. If I read that right 12gigs??? what are you going to use this comp for?

5. seesoe

seesoe What's a Dremel?

ooohhh lol:p well i dont know im not that into vista, but i guess it can't be that bad, yes its 12gb, i was going to run 6 gb but it was real tempting to get 12 so i just got 12,

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Best idea... wait for windows 7 x64.If you can find an old copy of Xp use that and just wait it out until 7.

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

is microsoft sell accepting activations for w7 beta, i have the 64bit .iso and a set of keys

8. seesoe

seesoe What's a Dremel?

i like the way C-Sniper thinks, and he lives in Tallahassee lol
    im not sure about windows 7, im on a 9 year old dell now as my main workstation, its about time i have stability
    why does everyone ditch xp?

9. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

we're not ditching XP, just moving on.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@seesoe, check the forum, I posted long novels on why Vista 64-bit is the OS to pick.
    But if I was you, I would use what you have (even if it's Windows 2000) and wait until Win7 comes out. UNLESS you can have Vista 64-bit for ultra cheap, or free.

XP and Vista 32-bit should not an option as 6GB of RAM wont be seen that is if you can even boot the system.

In short:
    - XP 64-bit has been barely used, and a great lack of drivers for it, let alone well optimized drivers. XP does not like new technology, pain in the butt to install, not worth it.
    - Vista 64-bit is the good, the most polished, Windows Vista as it is the original OS. You can see the difference between both OS versions when comparing. Vista 64-bit is ALL made in 64-bit even Windows Calculator is in 64-bit and all the services. Also it takes (like Vista 32-bit) full advantage of your multi-core CPU, and not just throw a process on each core. Vista 64-bit give you the most compatibility as Microsoft saw all the issues from XP 64-bit and re-engineer the whole thing. For example, if you look at the Windows files, you will see 2 Program Files and 2 System directories. Granted this the same under XP 64-bit, but it's not everything, and compatibility issue will arise. Where every application that comes with the OS (including Windows Media Player 11 and Internet Explorer) and system files are available in 32 and 64-bit. That is why Vista 64-bit is bigger than it's last minute 32-bit version (like if you have 2 OS in 1), so no problem will occur. Also, drivers is not an issue, and even support XP 64-bit drivers for older devices. You can't beat that!

However, if you plan to use really old (before 2006) applications, and too lazy to get the latest update or patch or don't have the funds to purchase the latest version of your software or have peripherals that you can't change or specialized software that doesn't like Vista, then stick with XP (Note: you can run XP 32-bit under virtual PC under Vista 64-bit with Microsoft Virtual PC which is provided for free to all. Virtual PC run everything except games, and certain peripherials). If not go Vista 64-bit (you also get to enjoy 64-bit codecs! :))

Last edited: 24 Feb 2009
  11. seesoe

seesoe What's a Dremel?

very well said GoodBytes, exactly the type of info i was looking for to go with vista, thanks:)

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

These people don't know anything. Vista is a good OS with new hardware. The problem is too many people decided to run, not only Vista 32-bit, but also on their 200$ Dell laptop which can't even run XP properly.

Sure you do, Vista is packed with productive tools and cool stuff, like self maintenance, backup system, system restore point which actually works, instant search (check on the forum XP vs Vista threads, you can read a lot of new Vista features that people ignore).
    Vista is a lot different over XP, it is normal that you feel lost, and that their is a learning curve (the curve will be much deeper with Windows 7 if you skip Vista). If you use the OS seriously, within 1 month you'll get used to it. And as for the 'famouse prompts' that you probably heared about. Yea you'll those everytime you configure teh system or install a software (or put files in a restricted area (i.e: System directory, program Files, etc..). You might get annoyed when you install your system, but it can be temporarily disabled by a check box in the User Account panel found in the Control Panel. But, in any case, you'll get used to it, and it's not like EVERYDAY you are going to install software and configure Windows. So on day to day basis it should not bug you in any way. I strongly suggest to NOT disable it permanently, it can save you life (it sure did), from inserting friend USB sticks/data DVD/CD's that contains malware as autorun, to downloading by accident a malware/virus and you want to selct it and delete it, but you accidentally double click on it. So, it's very useful. Heck on my systems (laptop and desktop) I don't use anti-virus nor anti-spyware )other than Windows defender). These prompts called User Account Control (UAC), and carful web surfing and downlaoding makes a perfect team to have a perfectly safe and clean system. Now I DO have an anti-virus and spyware removal software in reality, but I don't run it in the backup. The say I open a document and see it needs Admin rights, I know something is fishy and perform a scan on it to make sure that it's not just the application that wants to downlaod and install an update of itself, or contains a virus. Remember malware, spyware, viruses, trojans, etc.. don't' do anything until you don't run them and give them full access to the system to infect you).

If you want to learn more about Vista 64-bit (which is pretty much the same for Windows 7 64-bit), which edition to select, search the forum, I and others, posted several things on that topic, of you can't find anything, PM me for a short version.

13. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

I have a very similar setup and am using vista 64bit. I think you'll find that it is now better supported as an OS than XP64 (though arguably not as well as xp/vista 32, though they are out of the question with 12gb of ram). I am also running a server on xp64. From experience running both simultaneously, vista 64 is the better for everday use, though for set it and forget it, I like XP.

EDIT: Oh, I'm running Ultimate (yay student versions for $10 from the tech office!)

14. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I'm also running i7, I'm on vista x64 with modern hardware it really is a no brainer. Unless you know you have a "need" for XP x64 then you'll likely have a smoother experience with vista

15. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Vista x64.

XP x64 doesn't have great driver support, and with 12GB of memory you have to have 64bit.
    Not to mention, 6 months ago, Vista x64 was cheaper than XP x64 :duh:
    Or hold off till later this year and go Win7 x64.

16. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Soon to be Gainesville, as long as my transfer goes through as planned. :p FSU isn't bad, it is just not for Engineering Majors. ( we are Paired up with FAMU :( )

17. seesoe

seesoe What's a Dremel?

ah i see, xp agreed, but ill run vista 64 bit

this is very true, when i used vista it was on a sucky pc:p, anyways i should of known better to not judge like that, but yeah, nicely said, thank you:), i looking forward to it now:)

ill just do vista 64 till win7 64 is out, thanks:)

yup im here for Engineering too, well i was born here anyways haha:)

cheers
    thanks all
    seesoe

18. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Good choice. XP is showing its age, and xp64 never really got the support it needed to be successful.

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Having recently moved to Vista 64 from XP32, I can say it's the best thing I ever did. I hated it at first, but thats just because it's a change, and we all hate change.. we get comfortable with a OS and then have to re-learn stuff. 1 month later and it's as if I've always used Vista.

I tried XP64 and got so tired of driver problems and lack of support I gave up.

It may be worth waiting for 7 however. I had no choice as I had to build a new rig and didn't want to put XP32 on it as I had 3x2Gb modules in a triple channel set up... half my RAM would have been wasted.