1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Havok claims to dominate BAFTAs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Last edited: 27 Feb 2009
  2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Doesn't really mean that it's better, simply means that more of the better games are using it. A game (in most cases) isn't it's physics engine.

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Another company saying I'm better than you. 2009 Biggest Ego Award goes to..............

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

5. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

I'm putting my bets on DX11 compute shaders for games, and OpenCL for apps. Can't really see havok or physx in that equation..

6. munim

munim What's a Dremel?

I'm bipartisan but I'll still say this: I wouldn't expect BAFTA to know jack about Havok or PhysX.

7. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Everyone know if you get more awards you're better. That's why Titanic is the best movie ever made, right?

8. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Why on earth does Guitar Hero require a physics simulator?

9. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Exactly what I was thinking

10. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I thought HL2 used Valve's own physics engine?

11. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

They use a heavily tweaked version of the Havok physics engine.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

either way these two physic engines are on their way out once Direct X 11 and OpenCL hit the scene, which I am soo glad to see once that happens.

13. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

it doesnt, probably. but it used a havok product, which if you look at their site lists several including animation and the like so even if it is only used in one instance, it stills grants intel gloating rights.

and someone mentioned people who decide the bafta's knowing nothing about physics engines, neither could most people on this site if you asked them about it..."err, it deals with the physics calculations to make objects behave more realistically to improve the overall gaming simulation", but then you are totally missing the point imo, the bafta vote on the game, not on the products that build it, otherwise they might have a category for best gaming engine but i dont think they do!

i dont look at these things as ego swelling excercises but as the kind of the verbal bashing that will make both companies work harder, so long as neither of the companies starts playing dirty its all good....plus its kinda funny to sit here and read these news threads and seeing intel say this and wait a few days for nvidia's rebuttle.

peace

fatman

14. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

All I can see is that nVidia just wasted lots of $$ in PhysX for nothing... Havok was always the "leader", AGEIA (the former proprietary of physics), only became "famous" because they had a dedicated PPU for physics... Intel made the right move to buy Havok, as it will help to improve it's Larrabee chip with a better physics integration.

- Besides, DX11 will bring physx to the "open", so the only ducks that nVidia caught some money was EA and 2K... ^_^

- I remember a while back, that someone hacked the PhysX software to work on a ATi card, and it did work well on a HD3870 (at the time), so this only shows that nVidia doesn't have specific hardware built in their chips to run physx. And I'm sure it will be a free feature in the near future.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Ridiculously petty.

And so my respect for Intel as a company continues to plummet.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Of course they don't have special hardware for the physics calculations. It's CUDA based.

Still I just don't get all this "My penis is longer than yours" stuff recently. Just calm down, make proper products, get rich, develop further, get richer, stay quiet, thanks.

Tags: Add Tags