1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hoffs, 6 Jun 2009.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

Ok basically, I want to get into PC gaming after getting bored of my ps3. My laptop is new and can run pretty much all games (2.13ghz cpu + 9600m GT)

I have about £50 to spend and I saw this on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1134/

I'm wondering if this is a good deal and whether there are any other solid games that everybody "should" own

I appreciate your feedback

Ali

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

iz good fer sure.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think that might be a bit of an overstatement, but, it should be able to cope with all those in the Valve package.

You'll probably find that you won't play most of them, but for HL2/Ep1/Ep2, HL, CSS, TF2, L4D fpr £50 its pretty good value.

Just make sure you've got a mouse, I tried playing Half Life on my Samsung NC10 with the trackpad, :D

saying it was hard would be the biggest understatement ever! :D

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I cant believe they are charging for cs:s goddamn gooseman has sold out, and they arent updating the game anymore.

5. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

What do you mean by that?

And I've got a lovely Microsoft Sidewinder mouse that is brilliant so I won't be using the trackpad

:p

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's a corker of a deal. Think about picking up Deus Ex on Steam too if you want to get really into the good stuff of PC gaming - its only about £5

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

all you need is left 4 dead, tf2, css and your golden... I'm all about online... DoD:S is also alright... That seems to be a great deal considering I played 49.99 plus tax for orange box when it was released, 44.99 for css after it had been out for a year, and another 49.99 for L4D when it was released I'm talking Canadian money, but if you add the prices up, the top 3 games there already pay for themselves plus you get all the extra's! Go for it and enjoy :D

8. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

what ISP are you on ? Cos thats going to be a mighty amount of bandwidth you are going to use up if

you download all of those :D good deal btw!

9. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

They don't update half the games in there, so whats your point?

10. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

It's a great deal but you really only need the basics, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, Portal, Half-Life 2 + Ep1 + Ep2.

Also It shows as $99.99 American for me and Steam right now charges $ = £ so that'd be £99.99 I believe.

Just get Portal, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead, that's all I'm still playing.

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Buying the Orange Box will make you happy for a long time, and they should all run very well on your computer.

CS:S is overpriced, if they ever have a sale on it, get it. I know I will. :D

Besides that, maybe L4D if you really like it, I played the 'freaky friday' free to play day, and I didn't feel compelled to buy it, even at like 50% off.

12. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

a 9600M GT at 1440x900 or even 1680x1050 will run any Source Game at Full thats been made so far.

13. CardJoe

M'eh. Half-Life 1, Opp Force and Blue Shift are all worth playing too, esp if you missed them before.

Well, maybe not Blue Shift...

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

No, steam have eurpoean pricing now. Its £52.99

I'd say get it, as it'll probably be cheaper than buying the essential good ones seperatly.

L4D - £26.99
    HL2 - £13.99
    TF2 - £13.99
    Portal - £13.99

Your already at £68.96 with just those 4, so your defiantly getting a damn good deal IMO. But yes, it will take a long time to downlaod unless your on a super quick ISP.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm not sure if any GoldSrc mods are good enough to warrant buying a non-Source game nowadays. Source mods are muuch better now. You could play Sven Co-op, Half Life 2: Jaykin Bacon: Source (good luck getting an installer and people to play with), and Natural Selection, but there are better, Source alternatives. Plus, Black Mesa Source should be out sometime soon, thus eliminating any reason to buy GoldSrc.

16. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Meh £50 for a lot of games that you possibly won't play.
    I would personally buy maybe 2-3 cheap games.

Depends what games you like??

17. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Counter strike was a free modification for half-life, now you have to pay? screw that.

Then again i did get it free with hl2, ep1, ep2 which i bought so i shouldn't really complain, but still £16 for cs?

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

deus ex is free on gametap! i told you this before!

CSS is still fre if you buy HL2. you have to buy it if you want it on its own. which would be silly.

19. CardJoe

Gametap isn't available everywhere though, IIRC.

20. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

That's kind of crazy logic. These dudes worked on that game for years and years, finally honing it in to one of the best games ever - surely they deserve to get paid?

Contrast that to the the current trend of releasing nearly unplayably buggy games for full price and then casually patching them when they feel like it. If we're lucky we get a finished game 3-6 months AFTER we've paid for it.

I know which way round I would do it.