1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to cost £55

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jul 2009.

1. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Yikes, £55! Even with online retailer discounts, that puts it at about what, £45 ish? Great game or otherwise, that's just far too steep for me. Especially considering if you wait it out a few months it's bound to go down.

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

tbh i have wasted lots of money on **** £30 games if a £55 game is top quality i dont care

if you buy a DVD and watch it say 3 times that what roughly £1.50 an hour

buy a game and get teh same rate of £1.50 an hour thats only 36.6hrs i know for a fact that i spend way over that on the good games that i buy so £55 for a good game is not totally unjustified

(my problem lies with actors getting paid £20m to do a movie, and people say footballers are overpaid!!!)

3. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

£55?! **** that! CoD games always seem to hold their price, too. Oh well, won't be buying this.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

[quoite]With everyone waiting for starcraft and diablo i wonder what price they're going to be, if this move is in any way "successful" in there eyes £60 diablo can't be far around the corner....[/quote]

yeah but you will want to play diablo for 100's of hours is £60 too much for that?

5. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

So if 40 bucks doesn't cover your expenses just this minute... how much profit have you been making for the last decade you've been shifting games at the same price?

When it's 20ish i'll think about it, till then I'll wait

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Agreed... what fools. Talk about setting yourself up for a fall.

7. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I'll wait I think, not even played the original yet.

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

It's probably (as most games these days are) filled with ingame advertising, so why not use that to significantly lower the retail price? If they had it at £25 at launch it would probably have the best launch day sales of any game ever, apart from variants of The Sims.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No - because it's to do with a currency conversion, the speculation is that the online RRP will be the same as the retail one.

10. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Jul 2009
  11. rollo

rollo Modder

american sale of games was dropping like a stone in water though last i checked. Whilst uk game sales were relitivly stable. Aion is due out this september. Id like to see activision blizzard charge £35 for a wow expansion as it would end the game for most. Diablo 3 however good it is nobody will pay £60 for a pc game. As it wont even come in a box or give a manuel what expences do they have lol?. Starcraft 2 is 3 seperate games last i checked £60 for each race. That would be the most pirated game of all time

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

bah.... pc games around here are usually in the range of £50 and console games are in the order of £60....

13. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

They can shove it up their a$$ for that price!!!

14. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

There is no way I would ever pay over £50 for a game, this is a truly ridiculous price. I sincerely hope this comes back to bite them in the arse

15. Skepsis

Skepsis What's a Dremel?

Well I spent that much on the collectors edition of the last Call of Duty but come on for the standard game? Looks like I will be ordering from overseas because that price is a joke.

Activision: "Lower prices on PS3 or we will no longer support it. Oh yeah and we will raise the price of our latest game."

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I seriously hope this doesn't turn into another Steam-bashing thread....

£55 is a bit over the odds, but I'm fairly sure that some console games have been released at around the £50 mark - people still buy them in droves. Granted that PC gaming is different - because it's much less accessible, you can almost eliminate a good portion of the gaming market in general. Hence PC gamers tend to be a bit more discerning, and they're less likely to be the younger audience who bully/badger their parents into buying the games they want.

It stinks, but there's not a whole hell of a lot consumers can do except vote with their wallets. If the price is too high then don't buy it. If the game comes down to what you'd consider an acceptable price, then go for it. The publishers will doubtless be keeping an eye on the sales figures, so if the sales at launch are practically nothing then utterly rocket when the price comes down, then I doubt they'd fail to see their blunder.

Even so, there will still be people who will buy it regardless - so they'll still get good sales and will have set the precedent for releasing games at a high price. Just like there will still be people who buy the uber-swanky version with night-vision goggles, regardless of what ridiculous price is set for that.

17. clx

clx What's a Dremel?

Activision has announced that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will cost £54.99 GBP on all platforms when it is released this autumn - and that's just for the standard edition, not the super-special-OMG-comes-with-nightvision-goggles-edition. ....

the news the following month

Activision announces record losses due to stupid marketing and attempting to gouge foreign players....

18. human_error

human_error What's a Dremel?

Hmpf. I had pre-ordered this at game, won't be paying launch price for this though - £40 is more than enough for a standard edition game. Act bliz are just trying to milk this series for all they can - i was suspicious when they announced the "mortgage your house comes with NV goggles edition" - this is the new halo 3 where we have normal edition, special edition and give us more money edition with special item...

People have already said this too - the pound is strengthening again now so if game prices didn't go up when the £ was weakest they shouldn't really be going up now - after all we are still in recession and the games industry seems to the the only one increasing prices - because that won't stop people buying it 'till the January sales after Christmas (that's when i'll grab it now, it's only a couple of months after release anyway).

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Ah well looks like another one i'll later at some indeterminate time, that i may end up not bothering with till Joe does a Games I own in 2015 on it.

Either that or i'll get it of ebay second hand as i did with the last COD:MW sold it on for less than a pound loss too. It doesn't seem to have ever dropped below £30 as i had intended to pick it up again for another run through since its been ages since i sold it.

20. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

LOL, obviously greedy price gouging here, they know the hype, demand for the game is high so people (Mainly North american console tards, lol) will pay a higher amount for it. Seriously, every year there is a new COD game that plays identical to the year before, don't get the COD hype at all, they are very restrictive and repitive in gameplay terms.

Tags: Add Tags