1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Scientists FINALLY take the zombie apocalypse seriously

Discussion in 'General' started by [PUNK] crompers, 18 Aug 2009.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Not only is that seen in mental patients but also if your brain detects that you are in VERY immediate danger/death it can unconsciously override your muscle systems and make them perform at a full 100% for a split second (if you are lifting weights you only use about 60% of your muscle power, even if you can barely lift the weights). The only problem with this is that if that did happen with the Zombies then they would rip the muscles from the tendons after about the second time they use this power.

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

That's why some of them limp. :p

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

The smoking ban has caused a problem, less and less people are carrying a light, so in times of starting a fire, like a torch to burn your way though the zombie masses, were gonna all stand road patting are pockets for a lighter or box of matches.

Face it people, were F**Ked!

My plan, grab my girl, grab the car keys, and gun it cornwall. Stays warm most of the year and when you feel blue about everything just sit on a beach and watch the waves.

Dare i say customize a volvo estate with polycarb windows and a snow plough. The car is nice and low, loads of weight, pleanty of room for extended fuel tanks and have some fun cleaning the roads of zombies!

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

QFT

Volvos are like tanks, but a bit easier to drive... though saying that they drink petrol like Bindi drinks information, it just goes in, in one huge lump:

*NOM!*
    ...all gone

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

My current volvo aint that bad, it tends to eat small animals.

my plan for cornwall isn't so daft, anyone running will run for scotland and wales you see, thus increasing the local population which is a bad thing... coughs and sneezes aswell as zomnie bites spread diseases!

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll go to Vegas...

Or just stay on my roof.

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

:D
    I love the fact that I can come to the office early in the morning, log on to my computer whilst opening a can of yoghurt, come to bit-tech and find a thread that seriously discusses the many aspects of a potential zombie apocalypse. Where else could I find something like this?

Anyway, the threat of a zombie apocalypse is the only thing that leaves me wishing my country didn't have such strict laws on gun-control. However, there are loads of things you could do with a little ingenuity, some old steel vacuum-cleaner pipes and a tank of petrol. ;)

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I got my plan for the ZA all worked out with a bunch of mates for a while now...
    Firearms are plenty around here (anything from .22 rifles to .50 caliber revolvers). It's gonna rock. Beer, chicks, Zombies, guns... what's not to love? :)

9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Bit-tech controls my brain all day, dose that make me a bit-zombie?

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

tbh as soon as i started this thread i knew it would decend into ZA survival plans, thats the reason zombies are so popular i think, everyone likes to imagine the "last man in the world" scenario.

its not so good this year as im in a flat, last year however i was living in a terraced house in a very built up area. i worked out that you could go about 2 miles across the roofs of the houses without ever touching the ground. could get to the supermarket and B&Q. so pick up an angle grinder and a hedge strimmer then go eat haribo all day in morrisons. sorted.

12. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hm, as I have just recently moved to a new house were buildings are a bit more sparse than where I was living before (inner-city) I would face the difficulties of surviving through the initial outbreak in the suburbs. However, I do own a nailgun, and with a little modding I'm sure it could be made to function from a strapped-to-my-back tank of compressed air. I guess I will have to start building this in order to be prepared.

The BMW I drive is pretty much a tank, so with a few additions it should be able to carry me downtown to the hunter's gun shop, or possibly to the army's storehouses. There's also the possibility of the navy having a few ships docked here at any given time which should prove for ample salvage grounds with regards to weaponry and survival gear.

After having scavenged what could be safely salvaged without venturing too far in-city, I suppose the safest route would be to head back out onto the freeway and drive for the mountains.

Another key issue would of course being loading the car up with as much provisions as could be safely harvested from local supermarkets, seeing about finding a two-way radio set and as much gasoline as I could take along.

Up in the mountains we could start thinking about the issue of repopulating the planet, though I have already made some steps in this regard. ;)

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Guns are too loud for Zombie huntin'

Need something with the potential to be quiet - On top of which, with a gun, everyone has the potential to think "I'll rambo" and just unleash the full auto (Assuming there is one), then get eaten when they franticly try to reload because they missed the heads >.>

A good, solid, machette that's got two pieces of wood bolted to the blade to form a handle, rather than the blade bolted to a handle, then wrapped in something to offer a bit more comfort and protection from splinters would be best. Axes, small ones, would work if you could get reliable replacements for the shaft - Wood'd break quickly, and those polycarbonate composite ones are likely to be few and far between.

Fire's not the best thing to do unless you have a good exit stratagy, because they don't respond to pain, the only chance fire has is to burn the flesh/brain matter away from the head - It'd work best if it was a moat-like fire pit with vertical walls. Though, that'd be incredibly hard to keep going for a long period.

I think Zombies are popular because they're idiots. I mean, in an end of the world scenario, what're the options? World War 3 with nuclear weapons? Not easy to escape those. Skynet style? Robots are smart, and hard wearing. The Rapture? Most people would end up in a firey pit with the skin being peeled off by a less than charming chap with a pitchfork.

Zombies? Everyone knows 'em. There are theoretical countermeasures for damn near all of them, until you start getting to Resident Evil enemy units, and their respective mutations. Zombies are defeated with a bit of cunning and some grunt work - Something everyone can do. Not to mention that, eventually, you could just walk away from them, they're not going to be running, and if they are, not for long.

Personally, I'm a massive Umbrella fan. There has to be a real world company that goes the same way in the end.

14. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Mmmm....blades!
    I like the thought of going apesh*t bananas with a katana cutting off zombie heads en masse whilst grinning like a maniac and doing the occassional display of war face!

Perhaps a blade-launcher of some sort? Whilst gun shops are few and far between over here, there are loads of places to pick up blades for circular saws, and I'm sure some device could be build to reliably launch them at great force and spin - even on full auto a'la Painkiller? Or was that Prey? My memory fails me.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

So long as it's not too loud :B

Only need one to find you for them all to find you.

I think it was Painkiller. I vaguely recall something similar, and I never unwrapped Prey.

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Need a gravity gun if your going to be using circular saw blades.

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

No, I'm thinking it'd have to be powered by some sort of compressed-air system, or possibly by some mechanical spring-launched affair. However, in the latter case you'd face the difficulties of mechanical wear, and replacing those springs would not be a simple issue with the horde shuffling towards you. Also a purely mechanical system would be noisy, and it would require regular lubrication as well. Compressed air would be the route to go I think, even though you'd have to refill it every now and then, and it wouldn't be as loud as a purely mechanical system either.

Whilst tackling the lone zombie with a wielded blade should be relatively easy, taking on larger groups in this fashion, whilst sounding - and probably looking - awesome, would be a more risky business. I'm thinking you should keep a few grenades at hand for those large clusters, and then use the wielded blade for the loners or the smaller groups, and the blade launcher for those ranged kills.

I think you're right about fire though. Whilst cool, a flamethrower wouldn't be as effective against an opponent not encumbered by pain, though something sticky and hot-burning such as rocket fuel or napalm would slow down their approach considerably I think.

Painkiller was fun, and to be honest I found Prey to be surprisingly fun as well. Give it a go if you've got a couple of hours to spare one day with nothing better to do. :D

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

QFT

one of those suits of aluminium chain mail they use while diving with sharks would also come in very handy. that way you could just dive into the middle of a group and **** **** up yo.

thats my only problem with weapons like short axes etc etc, you're getting too close. it only takes one nibble remember!

19. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

That's a great idea ... well, something similar at least.
    How about a blade launcher that function like a rail gun? Electromagnets powered off of a car-battery carried on your back?

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

New volvo's have one inherent weakness in the ZA though: 5-star safety ratings.
    Trust me. Having written off a 2005 2.4Litre S40 by running OVER a drunk guy (who lived) illustrates that point quite clearly...
    Good safety ratings are great in the ZA - so long as they're only for occupants...
    What you really want as a vehicle (IMHO) is a Locally produced (was built in NAM originally, but i think they're in South Africa nowadays) vehicle called "Uri"

Think big Toyota engines, low and high range gearbox, Toyota Hilux frame, rollcage, weight stripped, with a big bull bar (the kind that are AFAIK illegal in europe, because they're not pedestrian safe at all...they tend to pull things UNDER the car).
    [​IMG]
    ^^ Like that, with a bull bar.

oh, and they're completely custom built, so pick your poison...gun racks are common requests. 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive are options...

Due to lack of weight these things can be SURPRISINGLY fast, and can climb almost anything in the right config... :)