LOL Scientists FINALLY take the zombie apocalypse seriously

Discussion in 'General' started by [PUNK] crompers, 18 Aug 2009.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Looks like it should do the job nicely.
    Some additions such a boudiccias (or however it's supposed to be spelled) would go nicely on it, and of course plating over the windows - we all know how damn persistent those zombies can be.

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

putting giant blades on your wheels doesn't tend to do much for your wheel balancing, in fact they're likely to snap your wheels off just by themselves, never mind with zombie bits stuck to them.

Journeyer likes this.
  3. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Sure, but they look cool - something which must not be forgotten with regard to surviving the ZA. :D
    Besides, there must be a way of getting it balanced out?

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

steel mesh over the windscreen (you know - that diamond mesh stuff). 2mm thick or so... wouldn't obscure visibility too much, and would be pretty solid. Plus you could put framed gaps in it for shooting out of.

Other than that, chainsaw running boards (i.e. you mount the chainsaw to the floor on a rail - don't want accidents happening - and arrange it so the blade looks out of the car... at about hip-height to normal people...

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That thing looks rather fun.

My personal preference for a zombie mobile is a Zil or an Ural com truck, since you get com gear, and space to store a bike/equipment/food/etc.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ooo, that sounds deliciously messy - forget about the boudiccias: chainsaws! Big ones!

7. [PUNK] crompers

sure you probably could get it balance fairly well, but as soon as you get something attached or in front of the things (which is surely the idea) you're in massive danger of snapping your axels, which is obviously not a good thing when you're stuck in the middle of a group of slavering monsters

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

A Unimog would also be a great vehicle... they're hard to come by and horribly expensive though...

9. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I used to have a really good ZA plan when I was living in the student flat. There was a big mall right next to it and defending the roof would be easy. I life now in a more suburban area and I think in case of zombies I am pretty much F**Ked. Best plan is to get to the next army base which is around 8 kilometers from where i live and its on an island with only one bridge going to it. 500m long and dead strait. Perfect for a lil sniper fun :D

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

And some strategically placed claymores for the added security. ;)

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

In all honesty - blow the 500m bridge... makes it harder for them to get there... unless they pull a 28 weeks later (was it 28 weeks or 28 days) on you and walk through water...

12. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Really good idea!!!

I thought about blowing the bridge when talking to friends but we decided against it because if the ZA takes longer we would need to restock supplies from time to time. If there is no bridge we cant get of the island in a tank.......YES we would have tanks :)
    Plus if there is a way to the island the zombies would probably concentrate there attack on one point which is easier to defend rather then start walking through the water.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

an island military base... that's pretty sure to have Amphibious vehicles... boats/dinghies, etc...
    unless the zombies are 28days/weeks type zombies, they probably wouldn't even know where you are once you're on that island...

14. [PUNK] crompers

unless the island is already infected, seen the new Dawn of the Dead?

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I dunno, water has always been a point of contention around Zombies. Would a zombie just walk under the water? Or would its basic brain functions tell it not to? Do zombies even need to breath air? Without oxygen, the brain would surely die very quickly, even the zombified bits? Unless the disease leads to mutation as opposed to just id-powered rage.

On top of all that, dead bodies float. So would the zombie just doggy paddle to the shore?

16. [PUNK] crompers

hahaha this thread just gets better :D

i reckon they would probably wander into the water even if it would kill them, after all they're not bothered as long as they get closer to flesh, if fire doesnt stop them why would water?

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Those are interesting questions. We do know that the zombies need energy in order to carry on - hence their cravings for flesh and brains, so can we therefore not assume that at least parts of their digestive systems still function? Muscles need energy in order to function, as does the brain - even stripped of it's higher functions, so would it not also be logic to assume that they also require oxygen?

Edit:
    They can emit sounds in the form of grunts, snarls, garbles, moans and om nom noms, which do require the ability to move air.

The 28 days/weeks later zombies eventually died of starvation (until the infection rose again), though I'm unsure if this is something that would affect the Umbrella variety, or even the I am Legend types. Of the latter though, we know that they don't care much for sunlight, and common to all is that they all at least seek to om nom nom every source of flesh available.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Zombies cannot breathe (the muscle control is far too advanced), even if they could, there's no bloodflow so it'd be utterly pointless.

Someone, I think max brookes, did propose a theory for the groaning, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

The water thing, well.

Depends on the body - For example, even with a lung full of air, I sink. Like a lead weight. The other thing to consider is the body of water itself - Does it have a current in it? Still bodies of water might have them "walking" on the bottom. Of course, there are going to be floaters. Quite what they'd do in that situation is unknown - They lack the cognitive ability to change the movement style, all they can do is shamble forwards, which doesn't translate to swimming very well.

The brain would, biologically, die. But then, the brain has to die before the zombie can be reanimated by the disease/virus/whatever, so technically, the brain has gone without oxygen as it is.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical until we get a zombie and get to take a look.

Another thought, though, would disecting a zombie be considered morally wrong? I mean, it was a human at one stage, so when do human rights end?

Last edited: 19 Aug 2009
  19. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I guess not - hence the pointlessness of chest-shots. However, why then, does a bullet to the head stop them? Even in order to maintain the most basic of functions the brain needs energy. This is certainly a cunundrum.

That would surely be an interesting thing to see. :D
    We've seen the 28 days/weeks later variety shuffle along quite nicely at least in shallow waters, but as for swimming?

So the next logical question then is would they know to keep out of the water as it is an element for which they're not really suited to moving through? Or would they aim for still waters where they, at least possibly, could shuffle along at the bottom? Would they even at an instinctive level be able to make the distinction?

As far as I'm conserned, human rights end at zombiefication. As others have pointed out, it would be pointless to attempt any immediate curing of the infection as the subjects are already dead. However, developing a vaccine should surely be a priority for any and all medical research centers still in operation.

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Well, for a start the 28 Days Later zombies weren't technically zombies. They weren't undead, just normal people who's higher brain capacity had been replaced with that of pure rage. You could still kill them normally (as demonstrated with the poison gas in 28 Weeks Later). They would undoubtedly drown in water.

The I Am Legend creatures were vampires (regardless of what the stupid film says), so that's a totally different argument.

I don't know if a zombie's desire to feast on brains is because they're hungry, or they're just driven to do it out of underlying pure aggression. They may feel the desire to eat, but they may not actually need to.

Remember there's a key difference between "infected" (ala 28 Days Later, Left4Dead etc.) and "reanimated dead", i.e. people who actually die before becoming zombies. In that respect, the brain is already dead anyway, so the oxygen argument is moot.