1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Scientists FINALLY take the zombie apocalypse seriously

Discussion in 'General' started by [PUNK] crompers, 18 Aug 2009.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ah I see, all valid points that I forgot to consider in my gleeful musings on zombiekind. It's been a while since I watched 28 days/weeks, and I too found the definition of the I am Legend creatures as zombies to be a little skewed.

You are right of course, there are fundamental differences between the infected types vs the reanimated types, however common to both kinds is that they at least feel the desire to eat. In the case of the infected I suppose this could be explained as a trait of the virus seeking to perpetuate itself, whereas in the case of the reanimated I'm not so sure.

2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Crossing 500+ meters of water is even for a normal (read alive) person a hard task. Make that seawater with a strong current and it becomes almost impossible. Even if they dont drown there movement would be so slow that it would be easy to just shoot them one by one as soon they stick there head out of the water.

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

in the romero sense im fairly sure the need to eat relates to society's need to consume (also why they hang around shopping centres). so in that sense the consumption may not be necessary, more impulsive.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I think you're exacerbating the problem.
    :)

GreatOldOne likes this.
  5. [PUNK] crompers

oh its all about the exacerbation my friend ;)

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ah, now you're tying the metaphor of the zombie to the social commentary from which they were originally designed. The question is, were the zombies designed to be a comment on society, or is their inherent usefullness as a tool of sociological reflection just a handy coincidence for film makers?

7. [PUNK] crompers

it was a bit of a turnaround wasnt it

weeeeell i'd say that in case of romero he is certainly aware of a certain level of social commentary, but that it certainly isn't his main drive in the films. for example dawn of the dead (original). yes they are in a mall, and yes there is a brief bit of dialogue about this being "gods punishment" or whatever, but the film never crawls up its own arse trying to put across some sociological debate, if you look for it it's definatley there but arguably thats the projection of the viewer.

and zombies weren't really 'designed', aren't they a part of voodoo beliefs?

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Na chap you got it all wrong, the suspension is far to bouncy and would roll over too easily.

[​IMG]

Now thats heavy, but all the weight is nice and low. My last one cornered surprisingly flat. RWD and a bucket O torque to really shift. It suffers between 30-60 in acceleration well mine did bloody autobox only had 3 gears, and 2nd was massively long, with 1st being stupidly short. I didn't want an auto but i was given the car..

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Not really. The original Voodoo idea of a zombie is more about putting someone under a trance so you can control them. Indeed, the original movie zombies, ala White Zombie, the zombies were just mind-controlled people. They moved, acted and groaned like zombies, but the origin story was all different.

It wasn't until Romero came along did he come up with the idea that a zombie was actually dead reanimated, as opposed to living but under a trance.

10. [PUNK] crompers

now that is interesting. i may have to look up that film it looks fairly hilarious.

+1 for the volvo, although you'd be limited offroad. maybe an old style land rover if you were planning on heading for the hills.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Aye, that it does. Resi tried to explain it away as using the bodies remaining bio-electric energy to stimulate the brain, but frankly, that makes about as much sense as the moon causing zombification. Max Brookes does talk about it, but since I've not read his book for a long while, I can't remember his "conclusion".

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Having driven that particular one, i can tell you - that suspension is not soft and bouncy... that thing goes straight up the steep side of a Namib due as well without breaking a sweat...
    It's much like a buggy in some regards. Beautiful high-speed damping on gravel roads/beaches, with so little weight higher up that you don't need to worry about your center of gravity...
    Couple that with a Land Cruiser engine (not the girly Prado stuff... the older ones), 4wd - you have a pretty much perfect car for any adventuring needs... I would know. We offroad for real-real around here...

Mind, that old Volvo could work as well, but i am worried about the safety ratings for pedestrians... doesn't help to have a good car that breaks once you run over someone... :thumb:

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

The S40 you wreaked is of a totally different generation, the 740 above which i owned, (mine was blue and a saloon) is extremely strong and could bounce zombies off it all day and not worry!

Also they come with Air con and leather seats, so comfort whilst mowing the undead. Hell there is room in the back to bring the family and dog.

Would need polycarb windows tho, thats the only weak part of the car. Maybe wire mesh the windows aswell, as the lexan would warp and fail after 500 bodies or so!

14. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I'm going to plant a load of plants on my lawn to fight off the zombies.

'There's a zombie on my lawn...'

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

We don't need zombies on the lawn....

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

nevermind the lawn... i'm more worried about them and the besky little dolphin buggers in my pool.

17. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I don't have a pool, so I'm safe from that. It's the bobsled team I'm worried about.

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I wouldn't worry about them. Unless you have an zombie driven ice-machine problem, then you can start worrying.

I actually do have a Squash growing in my front garden, so I'm fine!

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

haha... i got chilis in mine... :D

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

No chilis or squashes here, but the missus did mention something about wanting to start growing herbs come next spring. Should I be worried?