CPU Q9550 temp concerns

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bad_cancer, 17 Sep 2009.

1. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Hi everyone,

I installed a new Q9550 in my evga 790i ultra sli board, put some arctic silver 5 going by the bit-tech method (small drop and spread across cpu spreader) i then whacked my cooler master hyper n520 on, and fired it up.

Bios said that the temp was at 45°C.
    So i started windows and launched Occt for a short (30min) test. Full load jumped up to 65°c.
    I left it a while and then turned it off to give it a heat-cool cycle.

Then i popped it on again after 30mins and loaded real temp and launched occt, this time i got 60°c on load when i did the test. all cores got up to 60°ish.
    Linpac test went over 70°C.

Is this normal or did i do something wrong? I know that AS5 has a 200hr cure period, but isn't this warm for an aftermarket cooler?

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i'd say thats maybe a little bit toasty but not too bad, its a quad core, they tend to run hotter by definition. also im not sure how good the n520 is but maybe consider something like a TRUE or titan fenrir if you want lower temps.

are you overclocking? how well ventilated is the case?

3. Bad_cancer

No oc for now.
    Im working on my case so no case either :worried: (i know that an optimised airflow case is better than no case, but it is still better than a case with no ventilation).

If this is normal im ok then because im going to be changing to water in a couple of months (but still got to use the rig right?).

If it is the cooler that is wrong no biggie, but it should be able to cool a q9550 nicely according to reviews.

But i must know if the paste is correct, specially for future reference...

4. Bad_cancer

So i got it, after some fooling around, i decided to try the stock cooler to see what happens.

So i put the stock cooler on, with some Arctic silver 5, that intel paste didn't inspire confidence.
    And the result, still the same but this time a normal occt test got up to 70c.

This time i was sure that it wasn't the cooler. So i decided to check the voltage my mobo was feeding the cpu: 1.25v. High for this cpu.

Specs say that it should be around 1.21v so i dropped it down to 1.22v and there you go, 62C max on full load. and stable. so i guess the coolermaster was on wrong too then....

Ah well.....im going to keep it like this till i get to watercooling the bugger in the near future(can't be arsed to refit the coolermaster just to take it off again later).

Thanks crompers!

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

no problems 62c max is fine by anyones standards, get that wc set up and clock the hell out of it!

6. Bad_cancer

haha! I most certainly will mate! :thumb:

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Mine hits nearly 60°C with Linpack on stock and I have a TRUE.

The Q9550 indeed is a hot chip.

Mine's VID is 1.25V. In Windows (on load) it's max ~1.21V, though.

8. Bad_cancer

Hmm thats interesting, ill keep in mind how hot this baby gets when im watercooling and overclocking. Thanks for your input guys! :thumb: