1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Q9550 temp concerns

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bad_cancer, 17 Sep 2009.

1. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Hi everyone,

I installed a new Q9550 in my evga 790i ultra sli board, put some arctic silver 5 going by the bit-tech method (small drop and spread across cpu spreader) i then whacked my cooler master hyper n520 on, and fired it up.

Bios said that the temp was at 45°C.
    So i started windows and launched Occt for a short (30min) test. Full load jumped up to 65°c.
    I left it a while and then turned it off to give it a heat-cool cycle.

Then i popped it on again after 30mins and loaded real temp and launched occt, this time i got 60°c on load when i did the test. all cores got up to 60°ish.
    Linpac test went over 70°C.

Is this normal or did i do something wrong? I know that AS5 has a 200hr cure period, but isn't this warm for an aftermarket cooler?

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i'd say thats maybe a little bit toasty but not too bad, its a quad core, they tend to run hotter by definition. also im not sure how good the n520 is but maybe consider something like a TRUE or titan fenrir if you want lower temps.

are you overclocking? how well ventilated is the case?

3. Bad_cancer

No oc for now.
    Im working on my case so no case either :worried: (i know that an optimised airflow case is better than no case, but it is still better than a case with no ventilation).

If this is normal im ok then because im going to be changing to water in a couple of months (but still got to use the rig right?).

If it is the cooler that is wrong no biggie, but it should be able to cool a q9550 nicely according to reviews.

But i must know if the paste is correct, specially for future reference...

4. Bad_cancer

So i got it, after some fooling around, i decided to try the stock cooler to see what happens.

So i put the stock cooler on, with some Arctic silver 5, that intel paste didn't inspire confidence.
    And the result, still the same but this time a normal occt test got up to 70c.

This time i was sure that it wasn't the cooler. So i decided to check the voltage my mobo was feeding the cpu: 1.25v. High for this cpu.

Specs say that it should be around 1.21v so i dropped it down to 1.22v and there you go, 62C max on full load. and stable. so i guess the coolermaster was on wrong too then....

Ah well.....im going to keep it like this till i get to watercooling the bugger in the near future(can't be arsed to refit the coolermaster just to take it off again later).

Thanks crompers!

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

no problems 62c max is fine by anyones standards, get that wc set up and clock the hell out of it!

6. Bad_cancer

haha! I most certainly will mate! :thumb:

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Mine hits nearly 60°C with Linpack on stock and I have a TRUE.

The Q9550 indeed is a hot chip.

Mine's VID is 1.25V. In Windows (on load) it's max ~1.21V, though.

8. Bad_cancer

Hmm thats interesting, ill keep in mind how hot this baby gets when im watercooling and overclocking. Thanks for your input guys! :thumb: