1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Half-Life 3 to be or not to be?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PBear23, 18 Nov 2009.

1. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge of the future of the Half-Life series?

Wether it be Episode 3 of a new direction all together? I miss running around as Gordon for the first time in a new environment, and need a fix!

Thanks in advance guys!

2. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

I can see this opening a whole lot of valve hatin', valve WERE going to release frequent 'episodes' of the half life series. But, well, haven't. Thats it in a nutshell really, plus they seem to be a bit focused on L4D2 atm. Who knows, maybe they're working on a super fancy new engine for the next installment!

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

i've heard rumours of EP3 however, i think it's some time off yet. I think the developers are busy with other projects at the moment.

4. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

Yeah, episodic gaming it isn't really. But then Valve also said that Steam would mean more money going to devs and cutting out the publishers and look what happened there.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Yeah - the general rumours are;

1. That HL2 Episodes 1, 2 & the forthcoming 3 are HL3 for all practical purposes.
    2. HL, HL2 and Ep.1-3 also comprise the whole of the Gordon Freeman story arc; the end of Ep.3 will be the end of the entire Freeman cast and story.
    3. That that isn't the end of the Half Life universe. There might be plans for other games set in different parts of the same world.
    4. Those other games will be on a different arc and will join the canon in the same way that Portal does.
    I played through Ep.1-2 again a couple of weeks ago - damn, I missed hitting things with two rusty feet of S-bend steel... :D

6. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Given that Valve haven't even answered any questions on it I think that Valve time would put this about ... 20 years off still?

:sigh:

7. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

There's hope yet. Remember the surprise announcement of HL2 a few months or so prior to anticipated launch? Of course then the code got nicked, Valve ended up rewriting half the game (and also forgot about the super duper AI they had been going on about for weeks - remember promises about the baddies following you up lifts anyone?) and pushed back the release of the game years was it?

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

i'd like to see a version of a tactical squad taking on the aliens in a different part of the world, ie. Zen invades america and our feeble attempts at fightting back.. however, i believe this has already been done... hmmm... halo maybe? Would be nice to see it in the hl engine though.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

halo and half life, 2 complete opposites :D

10. October

October Mariachi Style

Yeah remember how right after L4D they were all gonna start working on Episode 3? I don't hate Valve though, not after all the happy hours they've given me :D

My personal hope is Ep3 in the next year or two and then another full blown adventure whenever they feel like it :lol:

11. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I really can't wait for Epi 3; its sad, I know, but I guess I really am a Valve fan boy (Half Life atleast).

It could take another couple years and I would still sell my sister to buy it, after having read a good chunk of Raising the Bar I can see why the game has been split into 3 parts and to be quite honest I'm glad they did it.

12. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I hope black mesa get sorted soon.

they've still got it up as released this year.

that would be a sweet end to a year.

Halflife one fully re-done to dx 9.0c

13. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Surely Half-Life Source is DX9?

14. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Black Mesa will be out at same time as duke nukem forever wich coincides with episode 3 launch.

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm sure they must be working on it and I'm sure it will be epic when it does get released.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not really - same visuals as the original, maybe some minor tweaks, but not the mammoth task that Black Mesa have gone to.

I better stop reading this thread because I get far too excited thinking about ep.3. It's one of those few things I get really, really excited about.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  17. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

compare.

18. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I think Ep 3 will end Gordon Freeman. I only see HL3 happening if they come up with a good story that hasn't been beatin to death.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My understanding of it was that, in their original plan at least, there would be Episode 3 and then Half-Life 3 (or Half-Life 4, whatever they call it in the end) separately in the distant future. The latter is looking unlikely, but Ep3 should be here someday. Remember the wait for Episode 2? We all lost hope of ever seeing it. It was terrible. Ep3 will arrive eventually.

And lal - Half-Life: Source was so pointless and underwhelming.

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

EP3 is confirmed, and in development, nothing other than that has been said.
    L4D team are totally different from half-life team so Ep3 hasn't and wont be effected by it.

i reckon ep3 will be the last of HL2, and probs be the last of the source engine as we know it, i would say it would come 2010 xmas, if not, then some time in 2011.
    i do think HL3 will come along with a total rebuild of the source engine, support what ever the highest/best DX there is at the time ( DX20? :p), but also be a big finally for Mr freeman.

I hope they don't do the Episode system on HL3 and just do one ground braking finisher for freeman.
    After that freeman should be left to die, and not to drag him on.