1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming League of Legends Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 20 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Twelfth plane of torment, actually.

2. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

yeah couldn't remember it exactly, knew it was something along those lines...lol

How did you get back? (while escaping that dragon?)

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Try Demigods. ;)

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Looks amazing! I'll go buy a copy today!

5. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Demigod is a good alternative but there are too few heroes so it gets boring after a while. Heroes of Newearth is better as a clone. I'm looking forward to a HoN release, already enjoying the beta.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Your wrong.

This is a 'competative' game even in publics, how many clan games were played on de_dust2? ... The gameplay is about the metagame not the map, do your homework; don't you dare do such an ill-informed review of HoN.

7. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I used to work for GOA, I was one of the people let go after the fiasco that was Mark Jacobs and Warhammer online.

At the time I was part of the server maintenance and monitoring, and I got to see a lot of LOL during it's development. How on earth the higher ups thought they could make money off this is beyond be, but it seems symptomatic of the company, bad choices made by idiots who know nothing about gaming in the slightest, or marketing.

8. CardJoe

And that's fine for a game like Counterstrike, which was also a free mod. A free mod can have just one map and, as long as the game is good, that's fine. If there was no retail version of LOL then the one map would be fine too, I imagine. As it is, this is not just a free game. This is a retail product and with that there go certain basic expectations - such as promised functionality being included and a certain level of content. LOL doesn't display that.

Continuing with Counterstrike, as a free mod with a spate of maps it was fine - but when it was released for sale then you didn't just get DE_dust2, even if that is the only map that most people will play. You get Italy, Aztec and a boatload of others which allow for some variation.

How would you feel if COD4 only came with Wet Work or Broadcast as a map? Ripped off, that's how. Especially if you'd paid £30 for a game which doesn't even have some of the functionality that it promises, such as an online store.

9. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Way to miss the point. The review pretty much said the game would be good if it were free, but people are expected to pay for the game only for the privilege of having unlockable free content unlocked from the outset, and $10 'credit' that you can't buy anything with.

p.s. Look up 'fact' and 'opinion' in the dictionary and compare.
    p.p.s. While you're there, check out "your" and "you're" !

10. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Does this game have dedicated servers? If not, I'm BOYCOTTING it.

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

As someone who'd played DotA a lot, I tried to explain the viewpoint of a dedicated DotA fan to Joe, but his arguments do stand up well. Not only is there still only one map, but lots of the functionality of DotA has been lost in the transition. No DM mode, no random mode, pick mode is all pre-game so you can;t pick counters to enemy heroes, and it does little that DotA didn't already do for free.

As a retail product it's flawed for sure - you can't realistically charge people for a game that's available for free (although I appreciate dedicated players will want to splash out).

I've been away from DotA for sometime now and LoL just doesn't offer anything to make me start to play this game again. Simply remaking a free mod in a different engine and then charging for it does not a quality game make.

12. Dathadorne

Dathadorne What's a Dremel?

I would have to say that the reviewer was missing the point, actually, in complaining about the map. I feel that the previous commenter, p3n, is correct: the locations of items on the map are essential to the strategy of the game. This isn't CoD, where everybody has 2 weapons and fairly similar abilities (and more variation is needed), this is a DotA clone, where everyone has radically different abilities.

The FUN of DotA comes from responding to the other team's pick of characters, designing a build, and combining it with those of your lane partner and later your entire team against the enemy. If Joe Martin is complaining about the difficulty curve now, imagine what the game would be like with varying map designs, where veterans who memorize maps could absolutely dominate newcomers.

I will say that, in LoL, their balance is completely skewed. In every game of LoL I have played, at least someone picks Master Yi and carries his or her team. There is no counter to that character. LoL does not have enough disables, the towers drop too fast, and players can switch between lanes far too quickly for the enemy to notice/respond.

I also found that there is a lack of 'team culture' in LoL. Players do not call MIA from lanes, there's not enough incentive to work with a teammate for a level 3 kill (or enough room between the towers to try), and the forest creeps are FAR too difficult to revert to if one has been outleveled. Rosh is gone, which also required teamwork and team distraction (leaving bait so that 4 players can take him down). Finally, the Inhibitors RESPAWN, and too quickly! This can decimate the sacrifices and strategy taken to push a lane.

For the map: new textures would be great, new 'environments' such as a "snow, desert, or tropical" level might make the game worth paying for, but calling for a new map layout is missing the point. The reviewer should have focused much more on balance mechanics, of which DotA has spent years refining.

13. Nature

Nature Minimodder

First of all, this is the worst score I've ever seen on bit tech. Second of all, a cheese potato perhaps?

14. CardJoe

I see your point, but...

a) The developers obviously agree with I that there is a need for new maps, hence there is a second in Beta and (judging from the world map) at least five or six more maps planned for some point in the future.

b) The one map they have built is not new. It's copied from DotA. So, if they're copying that straight across then why not spend all this time balancing out a new map. They've obviously been trying to judging by the beta map, they're just no good at it.

c) Again, your arguments would hold up well if this was DotA, but it's not. It's LoL. Some innovation and newness is required for the game to get a judgement which is at all better than "Why don't you just play it for free, with a large user base on Battle.net?"

Harry said it all just a few posts above; you can't just take a free mod, remake it and then charge for it - certainly not when you're devaluing it further by releasing the game for free.

Maps for this game should be one of the easiest things to create, because you know how much damage all the most powerful character and items combos can do and you can easily compare and average against it. The map just needs a smattering of towers and a few different path lay outs or cross overs. It's the champions which are so hard to balance since you need to make sure they aren't over powered. Balancing their abilities and movement speeds and Ultimates is the tough bit, not figuring out where to place the towers.

Incidentally, Master Yi isn't the only overpowered Champion. I faced a demon one (Sakor?) who had the Ultimate power of increasing his size and maximum health with every Champion he killed. He destroyed my whole team despite the fact we were attacking him all together, next to a friendly turret, with minions and that most of us were levelled higher than he. He just had too much health to bring down.

15. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

IMO, the biggest problem with them game isnt the maps or the fact that you can buy it or anything... the worst part of this game is the fact that there is only one mode that you can play.... "Blind Pick" which basically your team get the full roster of heroes to pick from, first come first serve. however, the other team can have a duplicate hero, which when you have a team battle going on, the only thing to distinguish between which hero is on which side is from the color of their clothing (which is still terrible cause one side is blue and the other is purple. these colors are way too close on the spectrum to be able to accurately identify who is on which team in time to take action).

I agree with the fact that HoN has a MUCH MUCH higher learning curve than LoL. i have been playing HoN and have been struggling a little bit with it because i wasnt used to the heroes, etc etc. But it took about 3 or 4 hours to know my way around which hero did what and what to expect.

Also the PSR system in HoN is a bit flawed but i think it is a lot better than LoL's (which basically has the match making system look at ur win/lose ratio and will try its best to match you with teammates/opponents to give you a 1/1 overall win/loss ratio).

just my 2 cents : /

16. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised we have a review of LoL which as far as I'm aware nobody who has played DotA takes seriously, and not a review of HoN which is seriously shaping up to be a great game. I agree with someone earlier in the thread that the LoL publishers may have seen the gap in the market and are just trying to beat HoN out of the starting gates.

17. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

I think Warcraft III is a bit weird RTS game: it's hard to find a replay with crowded match on Warcraft III replay websites.
    I think maybe the cause is its technique prob, which is still making its lag spikes while playing in large maps with huge army groups. And the weirdest thing is that the bug has not been solved after such a long period of time from releasing. IMO, it's a bug relating to AI (path finding, decision making).:miffed:
    People seem only enjoy 1vs1 and sometime 2vs2 matches while having option to play 6vs6 in normal matches, and only choose small map, make very small groups, and fight like street fights . The good thing of DotA and LOL mods are helping to rise the player number, and hence more fun.
    I think not only me still wishing for a totally remake of Warcraft III:D

18. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

okay.. the score for this was not at all what I expected after having read the review.. I was thinking '5' rather than '2' .. a '2' to me would be a game that crashed every five minutes and formatted your harddrive

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

2 because it's not worth buying makes sense (why buy when it's free, right?).
    So would the free version still score 2?

20. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

So what would a '1' do? All that and kill your grandmother?

Tags: Add Tags