Build Advice New Build - No Display

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Renegade, 19 Dec 2009.

1. Renegade

Renegade What's a Dremel?

Hi guys.

I recently bought a lot of components with help from the November's Buyers Guide.

Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping
    Titan Fenrir Cooler
    CoolerMaster ATCS840 Case
    Zalman 850W PSU
    Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard
    Corsair 6gb RAM - 1600Mhz XMS3 DDR3 (3X2GB)
    1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 - No OS is installed.
    XFX Radeon 5770 GFX card
    Sony DVDRW Optical Drive

My problem that I'm having is that I've put all this together, but I'm not getting any display on my monitor. I've tried the monitor cable in both sockets on the 5770, and even moved the card from slot 1 to slot 2 on the motherboard.
    I've taken all but 1 of the RAM DIMMS out, but no difference.

If I press the power button, I can hear the HDD spin, and the DVD drive has power to open the drawer, the Fenrir fan spins.

There are no beeps. Nothing. "No Signal. Digital" on the monitor before it goes black.

I've just read on another thread that the Asus Q- Connector part may cause a problem, so I've removed it and tried again. Unfortunately it didn't change anything.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

*Please remove the post I made in the Hardware/Build Advice board.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2009
  2. Renegade

Some more details. If someone has pictures of correct PSU connections to a P6TD m/brd they would be fantastic.

Zalman 850W Modular PSU
    1x CPU 8pin cable (2x4pin plugs).
    1x Power 20pin plug with small 4pin plug attached.
    2x PCIe cables 6pin plugs with small 2pin plugs attached.
    3x SATA cables.

Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard
    1x 24pin power (EATXPWR)
    1x 4pin power (EATX12V)

Setup
    Originally I had the 20pin and the 4pin plugged into the EATXPWR socket on the m/brd. I'd totally forgotten about the EATX12V socket at the top corner of the m/brd.
    I bought a 4pin-4pin cable extension today and used 1 of the 4pin ends of the CPU cable to plug into the EATX12V socket.
    Switched it on and no beeps or screen display.

Testing
    I've now been trying different configurations with these cables. I've unplugged everything apart from 1x2Gb RAM, the CPU, and the Fenrir.

20pin plugged into the EATXPWR socket, with the 4pin part using the extension plugged into the 4pin EATX12V. Press Power button, no response, no fans spin, no nothing. Dead.

20pin plugged into the EATXPWR socket, with the 4pin part unused.
    1 of the 4pin CPU connectors with the extension cable plugged into the EATX12V.
    Power on and CPU fan spins, but pressing and holding power button doesn't turn off.
    No beeps.

20pin plugged into the EATXPWR socket, with the 4pin plug also plugged into the same socket. 1 of the 4pin CPU plugs with the extension cable into the EATX12V socket.
    Power on and all fans spin. Press and hold Power button will power off.
    No display. No beeps.

Alternative 400W PSU
    20pin plugged into EATXPWR socket and extension cable used on 4pin for EATX12V.
    Powered on, and unable to power off.
    No beeps.

3. Renegade

Here's a picture to show how I have everything connected.

[​IMG]

4. Renegade

I "think" I have spotted something that may or may not be the problem.

At the top of the my pic there is the 4pin socket, but the book shows an 8pin socket. So I had a closer look, and there is a black cap over 4 of the holes. Whenever I take this off, I now have an 8pin EATX12V socket.

If this is the problem, then by it's discovery, it has only unfolded another problem :(

Socket/Plug Setup.

R = Rounded
    S = Square

EATX12V Socket holes.............8pin CPU cable from PSU (2x4pin plugs)

Plastic Socket Clip........................Cable 1..........Cable 2
    R S S R.........................................R R ............. S R
    S R R S.........................................R R ............. R S

So even if this cable was long enough to reach from the PSU to the EATX12V socket, the config of the 2x4pin plugs doesn't match up and only 1 (Cable 2) would fit in.

The many cables and socket setups are driving me nuts, lol.

Do I need to plug an 8pin into the EATX12V socket, or will a 4pin suffice?
    Could only having 4pin plugged into the EATX12V socket explain no beeps and no display?

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

6. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

With my Zalman I'm only using a 4pin into the top power on the MB, the blanked off part of the plug is still blanked off.

I'm pretty sure the full ATX power is going to the main socket on the MB and another PCIE is going to the secondary. It's powered from a cable with 2 x 4pins, I'm just using one of them.

You need to make sure all power sockets on the MB have good power. Have you checked your extension cable is working? Run a multimeter (or hotwired torch) against all the wires?

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I have an 8 pin socket, with a 8 pin plug connected. Here's a pic of mine prior to the TRUE being fitted to make it easier to see.

[​IMG]

I'll see if I can unplug one of them later and see if I can re-create the problem you have.

[edit]

The only spare 4 pin connector I have won't fit. My PSU came with the full 8pin plug, so that's what I'm using.

Others seem to be using theirs with only 4 pins connected though, so it may not even be this.

Everything else looks OK on your MB.

The only difference is that your GPU is in the bottom slot.

8. Renegade

Hi Jen. I appreciate you taking the time to read, reply, and post up a pic of your setup. It looks like your PSU has 24pin and 8pin connectors, whereas mine has a 20pin with a 4pin tail and 2x4pin connectors. I'm worried about blowing the m/brd (although there is a distinct possibility that it's too late, lol).

[​IMG]

This build is proving more difficult than my first. I need to find out whether to use both the 20+4 into the 24pin socket, or just the 20pin? Would me using only 4pin instead of 8pin prevent Beeps? With only 1 of the 2x4pin CPU cable plugs fitting the EATX12V socket, does that mean I only need to use the 4pin?

9. Pookeyhead

Your 20+4 power cable is fine.

As Jenny is powering hers with only 1x 4pin connected, I would suggest that's not your problem either. I don't have a spare 4 pin cable that will fit to test it here... but I see no reason why I'd have problems if Jenny isn't.

Can you try another PSU? I'm starting to wonder if yours is problematic.

10. Renegade

Thanks again Jen and David. I've put a meter across the PSU cable supplying the connection for the EATX12V. Didn't take long to realise there was a fault. Simply holding or squeezing the connector switched the power on and off. It's not supplying a constant 12V.
    I'll have to contact Scan and get a replacement.

Just for my information, and it's prob a silly question, but would the lack of 12V to this connector be the reason why I heard no beeps or am I fixing 1 problem to encounter another?

Cheers,
    Wil.

11. Pookeyhead

Just unplugged mine and powered up... fans spin... no beeps.. display dead. Also... couldn't power down by holding the power switch... I had to pull the mains lead in order to reconnect the 8pin.

I basically recreated your problem exactly.

The good news is, you have not damaged anything. Just replace the PSU and all should be well.

Looks like you found your problem :)

Scan will replace it.. they're very good.

Renegade likes this.
  12. Renegade

Thanks David for the reassuring test. Today just ain't my day though, lol. I'm building 2 computers with the exact same spec.
    1 of the PCs is for my younger brother who is housebound, so I've unwrapped his box of components and taken his Zalman.... exactly the same fault! :wallbash:

There is a break in the cable for the EATX12V on BOTH PSUs! Unbelievable. I'm pretty gutted that 2 PSUs have the same fault. Any recommendations on something else? I don't fancy my chances with yet more Zalmans. I think it's down to the way they're packaged. The cables are all twisted into a coil to fit in.

Anyway, I've completed an online form on the Scan webbie, but they're closed tomorrow and I can't see delivery to N.Ireland getting here before Christmas.

I'll keep updated on the Returns.

Thanks again.

Wil.

13. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Anything Corsair will do you fine.

14. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

That sounds very strange having two PSUs with the same fault, but if on the same delivery from the same supplier it stands they'll be from the same batch so not impossible.

I'd still like to see the rig working on another PSU though.

And there's been me singing my Zalman's praises!

15. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

You mention sqeezing the connector? Can you just use some pliers to tighten up any crimps? Better than a full exchange, remember those Zalmans are lovely and quiet!

16. Pookeyhead

I agree with Jen. It's suspicious that both exhibit the same fault.

When you say you squeeze the connector and it works.. was this when you were testing with a multimeter, or when in situ connected to the motherboard?

Could it be possible it's the motherboard socket and not the PSU lead?

Is it possible to get the rig to power up by squeezing the plug while connected, or as Jen said, crimping something with pliers?

I'd like to see this rig power up before you RMA two PSUs.

Can you use the PSU from another rig to test the motherboard? It sounds like a pain in the ass.. but it's gotta be better than RMAing two PSUs only to find it was the motherboard. You could even put another rig next to it, and just use the 4pin from the other rig to sort of "jump start" it if you like. I would just like to see this rig power up and POST before you RMA.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2009
  17. Renegade

I'm going to use the Zalman in my previous build, and take the PSU from that to test in the new build.

I'm pretty sure it's 2 faulty PSUs. I've said faulty molex connections, but it's more like a break in the cable.

For both Zalmans, I had the 20+4 socket plugged in, and the 2x4pin cable left unplugged. Everything else was disconnected apart from the small pins to make the power and reset buttons work/light.

When I pressed the power button the leds lit up and fans starts to spin, but if I moved the cable, then the leds went out and you could hear the power down. If I moved/twisted the cable again, then leds would light up and fans start to spin.

This happened on both PSUs.

I'm going to swap these PSUs and test. I'll update soon.

Thanks.

*UPDATE

Ok. I've taken the Q-Tec 650W supply from my previous build and plugged it into the new build. This PSU only has a 20pin plug for ATXPWR and 1 4pin plug for ATX12V. I've also put the 5770 card in.
    Leds light and fans spin, but no display or beeps. I can't force power off with power button. I'm not sure whether this is caused because I now don't have a full 24 in the ATXPWR socket.

Just for sake of curiosity and consistent testing. I've just unplugged the 4pin ATX12V socket from the m/brd and pressed the power button. I get exactly the same result as Zalmans. The PC powers up for a cpl of seconds, only to power down again, then power up, etc etc. I even let go of the cable and it cycled through this process without any touches from me. So, this leads me to believe that the m/brd is receiving power and is trying to start, but then is running out of juice and powering down, only to get a build up of more juice and retrying the power on.

Perhaps my turning/squeezing the cable was freakily coinciding with these power up/down cycles, leading to a possible red herring.

I'm going to put a Zalman into my old build to test.

**UPDATE
    Ok. Zalman into my old PC. Nothing connected. Beeps like a good un. 1 long continuous beep. Old m/brd takes just the 20pin for the ATXPWR and 1x4pin for ATX12V.

Suggestions on what to try next?

18. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Hi Renegade

I think you'll find that your GPU needs to be in the top PCI-E slot to be detected. Suggest you try this before anything else.....

19. Renegade

Hi Razor. Thanks for replying m8. I had it in the top slot to begin with and only moved it for testing whenever I got no display. Sorry. Pic was taken before I start to dismantle :)

20. Renegade

I'm just clutching at straws here. I'm building 2 identical computers... but 1 was meant to be a surprise so I've kept the case in work.

I've started to take apart the PC and was removing the m/brd from the tray when I noticed that I had 10 pillars screwed in and not 9. This means that 1 pillar was just screwed into the case and in effect was propping up the board.
    I think I read somewhere on another thread that someone had asked the person to make sure none of the m/brd was touching the casing. This 10th pillar would have been a straight connection between casing and board.

Cause enough for boot failure?

*UPDATE

I've removed the 10th pillar and put the m/brd back into the case. I have the CPU, Fenrir, and 1 DIMM of RAM plugged in. I power on, but still no beeps, and I can't force power off with the button.