1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build - No Display

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Renegade, 19 Dec 2009.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It depends if the 10th pillar was shorting out against a component on the board, or just resting on a bare part of the board.

If you have 2 identical builds... can you not test the OTHER Asus P6T with your old PSU?

2. Renegade

Renegade What's a Dremel?

lol. I knew u were gonna say that. I'll do that next.

I took my m/brd out and used the other parts.

I built it and it beeps and shows a display on the monitor, although when I press the power button it spits out the dvd drawer and keeps powering the motor, it doesn't detect my HDD, and it doesn't pick up my PS/2 keyboard.

*UPDATE

OK. Took my i7 and plugged it into the "working" setup. Again, it POSTs and then can't find HDD, etc.

It looks like the other motherboard has a problem.

Not finding the HDD wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it's unformatted or unpartitioned?
    I had the full 6Gb RAM inserted and dropped this down to just 1x 2Gb DIMM. It still flashes up that no hard disk is detected, but it displays it in the BIOS :s HDD is plugged into SATA 1.

It's trying to blow the dvd drive across the room. Keeps spitting out the drawer and whirring the motor to try and spit it out further. I close the drawer, it spits it out again. Drive is plugged into SATA 3.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2009
  3. Pookeyhead

When you say can't find HDD.. do you mean in the BIOS... or just on the boot screen?

Does it show up here?

[​IMG]

4. Renegade

It goes through some adapter test and reports back "No Hard Disk Detected" on a black screen with white writing.
    However, it appears in the BIOS on that page u have screenshotted.

*UPDATE
    Marvel Storage Container is now set to Disabled and it doesn't appear.

Still can't get the dvd-drive to behave. It's only got 2 cables, lol. SATA Power and Data. Power plugged in, and Data plugged into port 3 on the m/brd.
    When I press the Power on button, it immediately spits out the drawer. If I then press the "Eject" button on the drive, it seems to cut power to the drive. It is listed in the BIOS.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2009
  5. Pookeyhead

The marvell device is the raid controller.... you can disable that. It was showing no disk because you have no raid disks set up.

As for the DVD.... If it's showing in BIOS.. then it looks like that's faulty as well!!!

:(

6. Renegade

Not having much luck at the moment, lol. I only bought 1 SATA drive because I was going to make use of the IDE drive from my other PC, so I'll have to goto the shop and replace the drive later.

7. Pookeyhead

Just to double check... try the SATA DVD in different ports etc... or possibly another PC.

It's always best to double check before you write things off as broken.

8. Renegade

Yeh.. I've tried these things before calling it a night at 12:25am.. lol

Used different sata power connectors from the 1 cable.
    Used a new sata power cable plugged into the psu and connecting.
    Used different sata data cables.
    Plugged into different sata connections on the m/brd.

No matter what, it spits out the drawer and continuously runs the motor.

9. Pookeyhead

Oh well.... that pretty much convinces me LOL

That is so unlucky to have so many faulty items in one shipment. Makes me wonder if City Link have been playing football with your order!

I must admit, when I buy from Scan I always go there in person, as I'm 40 mins away, so I don't have that problem.

10. Renegade

Unfortunately living in N. Ireland has its drawbacks... being unable to visit Scan personally is only 1 of them, lol.

I don't know what I've done to deserve such bad luck with parts. It seems I get past 1 problem, only to run into another.

I've returned the m/brd to the supplier for testing and would like to think a replacement will be here asap. I've also replaced the DVD drive and finally got Windows 7 Home Ed installed.

For my next problem, lol, I'd like to introduce you to my XFX ATI Radeon 5770 GFX card.

I put the cd in, but it doesn't autorun. Even if I "Explore" the cd and double click on Setup, it just doesn't want to know.
    I've gone into the Drivers/Win7 folder and run the app in there. It installs the drivers, and the ATI Catalyst Control Center. All looks fine and dandy. I'm forced to reboot the system because the ATI CCC needs it.

On restart, I see the POST screen, and the lovely new Windows 7 loading icon, my desktop appears all nice .... until I move the mouse and then it blankets the screen with a blue or sometimes grey with coloured speckles all in a grid across the screen. I can't see any icons or anything from the desktop.

I uninstalled it all and downloaded the latest version from the XFX website. Again, it was all good until this time... there's a thing in Win7 ... "Windows Experience" that rates your system ability from 1 to 10. It said that I needed to Refresh these settings because it had detected new hardware. So whenever I clicked on the Refresh button, it started to do some "3D Aero" test and then went to a fully blue screen with white blocks all across it in a grid.

I spoke to XFX Live Chat support and they suggested updating the BIOS and Chipset.

I installed CoD4 and halfway into the explanation of the 1st mission, the screen went black and I had to force restart.

I've booted into the BIOS setup and tried to run the Asus EZ Flash 2 utility. It starts up but then the screen goes black and I have to force restart.

Next time I mention building a PC... someone give me a good kick in the nuts!! :wallbash:

*UPDATE - Pictures of the display on my screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Dec 2009
  11. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I really feel for you - I've been there two many times myself.

But the good news (for me) - I'm rid of my curse but you're the recipient of my long hated hardware curse which I've had for a couple of decades.

It goes like this, you do your research you buy the gear and get lemons, and then have a friggin' nightmare.

By the way, it is often followed by the supplier testing the gear and finding in their rig it works fine.

Good luck I mean it!

But the GFX issue? Is it getting enough power?

12. Renegade

Thanks Jen... I think! lol

GFX card only had a socket for a 6pin plug. There's a cable on the Zalman labelled PCI Express 8 pin (6 and 2). I've just plugged that in and can't see anywhere else that I could plug anything in.... so I'm guessing it's fully powered.

*UPDATE

I moved the GFX down to the next PCIe slot and used a different power cable. The Windows Experience thingy was able to run the 3D Aero tests and give me a score of 6.0. The desktop background was changed to solid black and whenever I tried to change it to the default Win7 the computer hung. I forced a reboot, but now the mouse isn't responding.
    I'm going to put the 2nd GFX into slot 1 and test it.

Unbe-fricken-lievable! Faulty 5770 card. I put the 2nd card into slot 1 and have been changing backgrounds and playing CoD4 without any problems whatsoever. Another RMA!

Last edited: 21 Dec 2009
  13. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

6.0 for GFX? Is that normal for a 5770? Or do you need to update drivers?

My stats are:

CPU: 7.5
    Ram: 7.5
    Aero: 7.4
    Gaming Graphics: 7.4
    HD: 7.1

That's with a 1st Gen 920 stock speed, intel cooler, Nvidia 285, 6gb of bog standard ram & a 120gb Vertex SSD. All on Win7 x64

14. Renegade

I've re-run the test with the new card installed and things look a lot healthier, lol

CPU - 7.4
    RAM - 7.5
    Aero - 7.4
    Gaming - 7.4
    HDD - 5.9

15. Pookeyhead

OMG.... you are the unluckiest person the whole world ever. :(

Seriously, I've never had a problem building a PC. I'm not saying this to be smug... I'm reassuring you that you have used up your entire life's worth of bad luck.. feel free to build another without fear :)

Your Windows Index thingy looks cool to me. Pretty good scores for stock speeds.

I was gonna suggest overclocking it, but with your luck... maybe not.

OCing does improve CPU and RAM speeds significantly however.

[​IMG]

16. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

But does a better RAM speed really make any difference to any common tasks on the PC? Gaming? Rendering? Encoding?

All the benchmarks I've seen on gaming show maybe a 1 or 2 FPS difference at most, and never enough to make a chuggy game playable.

And as for overclocking the 920? I've never felt CPU bound with mine at stock speeds, I know I've got headroom for OCing at a later date, but it's more likely the rig will be upgraded before I need it.

17. Pookeyhead

Encoding, yes... very definitely. It can shave minutes off a large 1080p encode where CPU speed and RAM speed is all that matters. For gaming however, you are correct... the GPU is the limiting factor before the CPU.

18. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

With just faster RAM along? Wow

19. Pookeyhead

No.. with a faster CPU as well... I'm at 3.8 now, and the difference in encoding times between 2.6 and this are quite pronounced.

Even the difference between the default 1066 DDR3 and 1600 DDR3 results in a decent reduction in encoding times, especially with tight timings and 1N command rate. Couple that with a 40% overclock and a 3.6GHz uncore and it flies!

Last edited: 22 Dec 2009
  20. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Ahh how things have changed, my first computer had a 3.25 MHz processor and 1kb of RAM. And even many years later when I first started to convert my CD collection MP2 / MP3 format on a PC, encoding to 128 took approx 1hr for 5 mins audio.