1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Ripping DVD's for XMBC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Thatguy119, 10 Jan 2010.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Basically, I have been ripping all my DVD's over the last month with the plan being to put them on a file server and run them through xmbc on our HTCP in the living room over the network. A bit stupidly, I have only looked at the results of the ripping today, and found instead of one big media file a load of seperate .vob and .iso files that I cannot open in a folder called Video_ts file. As I kinda predicted, after XMBC scanned the HHD it said there were no video files there. What would the best way of converting the files into something it can read? I am not worried about space so compression is not required.

2. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

Handbrake SHOULD be able to convert them into some readable files, have a poke around in the settings.

3. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Just had the same problem, need to check out this handbrake program

4. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

handbrake will convert the .vob files to mp4, but the .iso files might need re-ripping as they're just disc images.

When you say 'lots of', do you mean its split the films into 1GB chunks? thats what DVD Shrink 3.2 does by default, and i dont know of a program to re-combine them into one file... handbrake wont.

5. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

I think your best bet would be to just copy the films with dvdfab.

6. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

handbreak is taking ages to convert the files. Is it the proceccor thats limiting it? (I am on a p4 so I would not be suprised)

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

8. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Im on intigrated graphics so if it uses a card I might be in trouble.

9. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

Handbrake is multithreaded and maxes out all cores so yeah. When I had a Pentium D it took about 3 hours a film, so a p4 will take ages.

I'm not sure but i think using x264 takes far longer that xvid/divx, so check what settings are used.

10. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

3 HOURS? THREE? HOURS?

You seriously need to upgrade your PC. My Q6600 rips a DVD and converts to iPod format in around 15 minutes.

11. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

"When I had a Pentium D" I said. I too have a q6600 now, which is a great cpu. I haven't converted i ipod before but it would probably take just as long for me. But it definitely takes under an hour for a x264 1.4 gig file with two passes.

12. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

if you just download the shark007 codecs they should play. All you need to do is search manually for a film or folder containing films then click stack files. this should let you play the films.

13. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

XBMC Media centre can read iso files there is a way to tag them in the library somehow (its on the Wiki) not entirely sure on the process however as i use the MKV container

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Is the OP really talking about ISO files or did he mean IFO files - i.e. DVDShrink has just created a load of folders containing a proper DVD structure?

15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

What did you rip them with in the first place?

It will surely be faster to find a way of ripping them into the format you want rather than converting them on a Pentium 4; I would consider a new computer a wise investment if you're going to be doing a lot of this...

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm disappointed no-one has mentioned AutoGK here yet - Handbrake is all well and good but it's no substitute tbh. :D

dave_salmon likes this.
  17. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

i dont see why you would need to use any of them as xbmc can read vob files. if you use dvdfab to copy films all you need to do is stack the files in xbmc and they play fine..

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Get dvd decrypter. Rip to one Ifo file.

Convert that one file to MKV or other file of your choice. You may need anydvd running in the background to remove encryption on the dvd's.

As for Auto GK. If you can play MKV and have a fast enough pc, it's a better format than using AVI with Auto GK. I get smaller files when I use RipBot x264 converting to MKV than with Auto GK and avi (with either xvid/divx encoding).

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well if compression is not required, and you're concerned about filesystem tidiness, why not just re-rip them to ISO Files? Use DVD Decrypter or DVDFab and just set it to ISO reading mode...

As mentioned several times, XBMC handles ISO and VOB files no problem.

20. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

SOrry, I meant IFO files, there are also some .BUP files, dont know what they are

This is what the video_TS folder looks like, are you saying XMBC should be able to read this no problem?

[​IMG]

BTW, I am only on a P4 while my i5 is RMA'd