1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Does anyone out there like The Thing circa 1982?

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 14 Jan 2010.

1. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

For those of you who enjoyed the John Carpenter version of the classic Sci-Fi horror The Thing, have a look at this:-

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

It also looks like the prequel is finally a go, cameras are scheduled to roll around March. Rumors have it set in the Norwegian camp that the creature escapes from at the start of the film. My heart sinks at this because I think the story will be diminished by this attempt to expand the backstory, I dread that it will turn into a CGI fest that simply will not have the same impact. I want to like it, I want it to be good - I'd even settle for okay...

The 1951 version was also pretty good, despite wandering away quite considerably from the original short story from 1938.

:sigh::worried::(

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The JC version was epic win, I'm hoping they make a not-CGI-filled version that isn't totally Transformered.

Another thing that would be nice would be if it's in Norwegian, rather than English.

3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

It was the 1st film that actually made me too scared to sleep... and I didn't trust my dog for about 3 weeks after, but I was like, 8 years old (not in 1982 obviously, but when I first saw it).

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The Carpenter version's a great film, but I'm not sure it's one that stands up to modern standards quite as well. The trend for pre-/se- quels of old films has been almost entirely bad (think Indy IV, Rambo whatever-number-we're-at, the Star Wars prequels, the last two Terminators) because though the originals are amazing period pieces, if they were released today their shonky acting, terrible CGI and weak production values would get them panned. The issue is that Lucas et al are making new films in the style of their hugely successful predecessors, and because they're the similarly made we can't stand them.

I really hope this doesn't go ahead, I don't think the gory original will be a good translation to modern cinema...

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

The Carpenter version kicks some serious...

I have a mint PAL AC3 laserdisc version in the garage.. and yes I am a geek among geeks.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ What he says. You cannot improve on a classic film anymore than you can repaint the Mona Lisa. You just end up with a different painting, indefinably inferior and lacking its original genius.

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

It's a classic. Please....don't do this.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Apart from the fact that Carpenter's film was a remake of a 1950's film :p

...and yes, I know that both versions were based on a short story (forget who wrote it), and yes, I also know that Carpenter's version is closer to the original story than the 1950's film. Still... :p

But yes, in general, remakes are only a pale shadow of the originals - even more so with recent remakes where the massive amounts of product placement seem to be more important than any vestige of a plot.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Carpenter's version scared the piss out of me, (around 1984.) The '51 version still has one of the best 'oh, sh*t!' moments in horror. -Get caught up in the small talk, open door, monster says hi.:hehe:

10. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

The 1951 film has a very special place in my favourite films list, a lot of 1950's sci-fi/creature films were just silly but entertaining however this is one of a number of particularly good films in their own right.

Its the scene where they throw the paraffin over the already burning creature in the rec room that gets my admiration every time I see it. That looked pretty damn dangerous for a film stunt, I wonder how many takes they had for that.

Another very effective scene is where they are looking for the creature and they open a door and its just standing there waiting for them, one of the air crew fires his rifle at close range and slams the door on its outstretched arm.

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The 80s one was a great concept that I personally couldn't enjoy properly because of the dated effects. Most of my friends had no such problem. I kinda wish the film had been more suspense (that's right, even more! :p) and less explodey-gore effects.

To the remake...well, it might be good.

edit:
    That is awesome.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2010
  12. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

I was ranting about Universal not being interested in having JC direct a sequel just the other week...where was the outrage then??? EH??...nvm

Prequel = BAD IDEA.

I really crave a sequel....CRAVE it. The day shall never come.

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

What from J. C's ship we only get 1 survivor? The Norsk blew it up and only one made it out? Big a$$ ship. Plenty of sequels to be had. Where's the original alien while the Jack Daniels was being consumed? Were the two both still human at the end?

14. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

If you have a read of the original short story the film will make more sense. The ship didn't have a crew in the normal sense. Think Legion.

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'm sorry to have to say this but I'm glad JC isn't directing the prequel, he lost his touch a long time ago and quite frankly I thought a lot of his more recent stuff has been very poor.

As far as I'm concerned his last decent film was They Live.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2010