Gaming Bayonetta Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 16 Jan 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

I saw a video of this game some 6 months ago I think. Back then you only needed one button to do everything. you didn't even have to move when in combat, It might have been a bit excagerated, but I laughed hard. Things seems to have sorted out though :p

3. thomasmuller

thomasmuller What's a Dremel?

"Back then you only needed one button to do everything. you didn't even have to move when in combat, It might have been a bit excagerated, but I laughed hard "

you miss understood the reviews i guess .

the main interest of the game is the gameplay ;)

4. thomasmuller

thomasmuller What's a Dremel?

sorry i do miss understand what you was writing , grrrr , damn me :p

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

It offers great cosplay photo opportunities...

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

"Viewtiful Joel"

Pray tell, what game is that? ;)

7. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Wish they would do this as FPS too. Lots of sexy girls and monsters to shoot at!

8. emilyface

emilyface What's a Dremel?

It was that game I found in a bin next to Dome III and World of Warcart :)

Em

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Sigh. Lizard, he's pointing out the "l" at the end of Joe. It's a typo. I'm pretty sure he knows what Viewtiful Joe is.

As for the game, I will be buying it purely because it seems to be the best action game out there. Shame the story and everything else just looks so ****ing retarded to me.

11. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

I think thats still there on the easiest difficulty.

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I must say the character design in bayonetta confuses me.

Overdone proportions like lara croft = no problem
    The most ludicrous of anime character design = i barely even notice

But bayonetta's design i just can't stand at all for some reason.

IMHO it's the worst design for a supposedly 'sexy' character i've ever seen :p

13. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I played the demo and hated it, it looked like something I would've played on the ps2 years ago. Also, why does she have such a tiny little head?! I know they play about with proportions to appeal to teenage boys, but how is having a shrunken head sexy? I don't get it. This explains what I mean if you haven't seen shots of her standing up (lulz at the comment about her glasses):

http://www.thezeonicfront.com/2009/10/i-dont-want-to-play-bayonetta.html

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

a 9? it looks fantastic- not sure on gameplay when you just smash buttons and hit a button to combo.. there any special stick moves you pull off

don't have an xbox anymore anyway!

15. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Another run of the mill game for the lame people who call themselves gamers but have never grown up from cheating at Track and Field with Rapid Fire controllers. Just the idea of guns in the back of her shoes puts me off and what the hell is going on with the giant foot attack in the pic?

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

All of the negative comments seem to stem from people who either don't have a concept of the game and/or have never played it... at least not how it was necessarily "meant" to be played.

As the review stated, it's not something that would necessary appeal to the more casual action/adventure gamer since it does hail from the Devil May Cry lineage of games.

The combat is much, much deeper than mashing a single button, with different weapons equippable on both hands and feet, there's a balance between choosing which attacks will be more effective against different enemies. Not to mention the ability to set up another weapon set, meaning you can swap weapons in on the fly creating a whole other level of depth.

The best way i can describe the combo system is like a mix between Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. There are two attack buttons corresponding to hands and feet, it depends on what weapons you equip but there's punches/slashes and kicks. Like Ninja Gaiden, combos can be executed by various presses of Y and B, be it YBY or YYYBBY. The Devil May Cry side of it comes in the different timing of presses, for example, YBY and YB.Y will perform different moves (i think the former does a big punch/slash at the end and the latter will end in an upward punch/slash allowing a juggle).

When you start off, obviously you just incessantly mash buttons to pull of a combo and it looks good on screen, but after playing the game more (or at least investing time into understanding it) you pick and choose your combos for different enemies, for example some may react to taking damage and thus longer combos will be more effective whilst others don't and thus you'll only want shorter combos to maximise damage. Anyhow, there aren't any special stick moves for "special" moves like in say street fighter or virtua fighter, there are some moves which can only be pulled off with a twirl of the stick or a backward to forward motion on the stick but those only add to the number of combo-able moves rather than do anything particularly special.

I have to say, IMO this game is anything but run of the mill. It has what i would say possibly the best combat mechanic of an action game to date. Judging by your comments i can safely assume that you haven't even tried the game and don't really have a clue what it's about.

"Cheating at Track and Field with Rapid Fire Controllers" - The only point in time where you have to mash any button consecutively is when either executing special moves or finishing bosses and the only thing it does there is increase your score slightly. Only unless you really care about dominating the leaderboards would you actually care if people used rapid-fire controllers and even then you'd have a whole lot more to worry about first before it even comes down to the mashing (like not getting hit and keeping your combo for example).

As for the guns on her feet idea, yeah i admit at first i thought it sounded stupid and i guess it still does. But as a gameplay mechanic i think it's ingeneous, as i stated at the start, there are various weapons which can be equipped to either the hands or feet which range from claws, rocket launchers, ice skates or shotguns and ultimately add another sense of depth to the combat by giving you an extra weapon to include into a combo.

As for the giant foot attack it's the last move of a combo which effectively does more damage. It's generally tailored to the weapon so the claws have a large claw to end the combo and the Katana projects a larger blade. It's a gameplay mechanic, sure it looks weird but it's part of the game... i'm sure there are other games which you could question as well...

Ultimately i guess you can say i'm biased towards the game because i do really like it, i was hooked on Devil May Cry 4 and this being some form of spiritual successor improves on it vastly. However there is a reason that this game is getting such good reviews and i guess that's because it's actually a rather good game :rolleyes:.

17. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

What I want to know is whether or not there's any multiplayer? Sounds like this could be the next Soul Calibur if they pulled that off right.

18. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

There's no multiplayer to speak of apart from xbl/psn leaderboards to try beat other people's scores.

As for it possibly being the next Soul Calibur, it's a lot different than that. It's not a fighting game, merely an Action/Adventure game which has a heavy focus on combat. Sort of like the difference between the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive series.

Also the minute you put PvP into these mechanics it's hard to figure out how you'd implement the Witch Time mechanic (sort of like the perfect parry from SC) since it's relatively easy to pull off or at least dodge from attacks.

19. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Wasn't bayonetta that game they show a while back that showed the tester dishing out pwnge by mashing one button?

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

On the easiest mode, yes. That doesn't mean anything though, IMHO. It's like Serious Sam, where the lowest difficulty gives you double damage and regenerating health versus enemies with half health and half damage. Yet nobody slags off Serious Sam for being too easy, because most people play it on Normal and, in fact, the difficulty goes the other way too. On the highest difficulty YOU are the one who does half-damage and enemies do double, have double health and are invisible. As is the case with Bayonetta, from what I've seen. Easy mode is super easy, but it goes all the way up to impossible modes too.

Tags: Add Tags