1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus P7H57D-V Evo Motherboard Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Feb 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. mr.sh

mr.sh FEAR

Are you use nVidia Forceware 196.16 WHQL for ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB? Is that correct?

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Not impressed.

'nuff sed.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fixed. Cat 9.12s. I copied and pasted from another mobo review but forgot we now use 5870s not GTX 260.

5. knightyc

knightyc CPC refugee

I will be upgrading sometime at end of year. even wife has agreed haha.. I like the look of this board and a core i5. should I wait with this board or will there be better out.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

End of the year? Most likely a new chipset by then or at least a much better revision.

7. SchizoFrog

I can't help but feel that somewhere along the line practicality was overlooked for want of headline features. With no pin outs for USB3 the use is limited to items that stay plugged in via the back of the PC, External back-up drives or HD WebCams are about the only things I can think of that will use these ports. Who wants to plug in a portable drive, thumb drive or another other items in to the back?

I like this board and I think it is very good, but at that price and even more so, with that performance it just doesn't hit me with the usual impact I have come to expect from ASUS.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The NEC chipset only supports two outputs and no case yet supports forward ports that are USB 3.0 compatible.

9. SchizoFrog

There are also virtually no devices that support USB3 either but a Motherboard is that backbone of a system and surely should support the use of imminent technology from a practical point? I'm sure most case manufacturers will have new revisions on their way shortly. As USB is always bacwards compatible I would have thought it more practical to have less USB2 and upgrade more of them over to USB3 for future use.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's not true.

Major storage manufacturers have announced at least one device (Buffalo for example) or are in plans to have them. Mass storage greatly benefits from it and there are plenty of Taiwanese companies that have released USB 3.0 PCI-E cards. HD webcams due use them too (more aligned with professional applications not home user).

The ONLY motherboard chipset out there right now ONLY supports two devices. If you wanted to add tens of dollars to the cost, then sure, plop four of them on it.

You are forgetting what PCI-Express slots are for - buying expansion cards. If you need more, then you buy it. :p

Realistically most people will use the USB 2.0 ports for all their current peripherals, then the extra USB 3.0 will act like eSATA for an external hard drive. Just leave the cable plugged in the back of your PC.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Well, it is the highend version (with a matching price tag), so I think it is fair to expect more than 2 usb3 connectors.

12. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

I was really hoping to see some performance figures of the H57 coupled with one of the new i3/i5 CPU's utilising the integrated GPU.

Did you get to bench these together?

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Can you run dual monitors off the mobo or is a Graphics card still needed to do that?

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I got that same feeling around about here:

People are more likely to know about USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s than they are about VRMs. At the end of the day I think this board is targeted at people wanting to build an HTPC that ticks all the features boxes. They also probably thought that people building this sort of PC would likely not want to overclock much.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think it's only single monitor, although it theoretically is possible, the onboard GPU isn't exactly that powerful.

16. javaman

For office work its always something thats handy. Yes I could get a cheap low end GPU but that defeats the whole purpose of the platform then.

17. Elton

After reading the iXbit Labs article http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/i55h-57h-chipsets-p1.html

I have found that it does support dual monitors.

Although I really do question if it's entirely capable of 2 24" monitors for example.

18. javaman

we need tests!!! lol

19. Nature

Nature Minimodder

USB 3.0 & SATA 6gbps ===== 9/10 on the feature score....... .... .. .. . .. ... :D

20. Elton

If I read it correctly, didn't the board also come with a lion's share of great components and some nice OC'ing abilities?

Tags: Add Tags