1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Ice Box

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PimPin>PC, 15 Feb 2010.

1. compmodder

compmodder What's a Dremel?

the white paint on the case looks really good. good luck with the mod.:thumb:

2. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Thanx lol i was soo tired when i posted those pics, thanx for ur patients guys:thumb:

3. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

I was going to post som pics of the PSU tonight but will have to do it tomorow now as i didnt get time today with work and gardens this afternoon, i also need a soldering iorn that i was getting today but no go, so i will try to describe what i entend to do to it :)

Ok so you probably would have noticed there were 6 fan mounts on the case but 7 fans ordered? So you'll now know that the other fan is for the PSU. I intend to replace the old 'loud rattly' fan with the new fancy one :naughty: which i need the soldering iorn for, i'm not one for doing a half a**ed job of things :dremel:

I will completly dismantle the PSU and paint it to match the case.....but there's more........

Insted of putting the old PSU top cover back on i want to mold some frosted white plexi glass in the same form and put that on insted, so that you would be able to see the glow of the new Blue LED fan thru the shield but none of the internal parts :D this should give an impression of a glowing light from an ice cave.. i hope :hip:

Then to deal with the wires.... here i plan to sleeve them with the white PSU sleeving stuff lol i'm not shure of the propper term so bare with me:) so if any body has any way i could make it better or has any other ideas would be cool :)

Last edited: 16 Feb 2010
  4. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Thanx man :)

5. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Ok so i finaly got my soldering iorn and the elictrical solder @ lunch break "yay" for me but low and behold i forgot the Heatshrink :wallbash:

So i will go back into town this afternoon and get some as i do not want to do this half a**ed :dremel:, so here is a pic of the new gear to keep the thread alive :D
    [​IMG]

I also got some new MB standoffs to replace the old copper/brass ones.
    [​IMG]
    "shiny":naughty: Still trying to figure out the focus on this camera:grr:

I will be back on tonight to upload the work on the PSU till then, stay tuned :D

Last edited: 17 Feb 2010
  6. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

7. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

And here is the BBQ Pork roll i will be consuming while workin on the Power Supply.
    [​IMG]

8. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

So while i was workin on the Power Supply the camera went flat so it's on charge at the moment...... man this is a bit frustrating lol this realy aint going too smoothly so far :wallbash: :blush:

So hear is a short bit of what i have done in the last 3 yrs while i wait for the battery to charge :blah:
    [​IMG]
    The black computer on the table is a build that i have recently finnished and is my own personal comptr Specs are:

Motheroard- ASUS-R.O.G Crosshair II Formula NForce 780a SLI chipset- tri SLI @ x8 x8 x8 and SLI @ x16 x16 up 2 8gb of ddr2 800mhz and 4gb @ 1066 dual channel ram Ltd to CPU .

CPU- AMD Phenom II x4 940 BLACK EDITION.

CPU Cooler- Cooler Master V10 with T.E.C.

GPU- 2x 320mb 8800GTS in SLI.

R.A.M- 4gb Corsair XMS2 @ 800mhz.

HDD- x2 Western Digital 640GB 32mb cache each in RAID 0

The white one is the one i am currently modding on this site and the large black 1 on the floor is a Thermaltake Armor Full ATX my first ever computer that i purchased back in 2007, it will be my next big modding project.

I have built about 5-6 computers for various friends and people i know and have built 2 for myself and have 5 gaming computers stored away ready to build at a later date.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2010
  9. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Now that the stupid battery has charged i have taken some progress shots of the work i have done on the Power Supply here is the first of many :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to take the old P1 plug out completly but don't know if it would cause some thing to go wrong? If any one here has any clue on what i should do please let me know if you have an :idea: untill then this can wait.
    [​IMG]

Next thing for me to do was to unsolder the Power Switch wires so i could take the circit board out, so i would have ease of access to the fan wires and also making it easy for me to paint the casing :D
    [​IMG]

Now that the circit board is out it's time to deal with the fan wires :)
    [​IMG]

TAKE THAT!! haha
    [​IMG]

AND THAT!! nasty old wires
    [​IMG]

Nice fan hehe. As you can see the soldered wires are protruding too far thru, so they will have to be trimmed to be on the safe side, i really don't want this modd going up in flames :hehe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So there you have it a three hour wait for the battery to charge and good 1 hrs work and it's done :lol: :rock:

I hope people are enoying the modd so far, please dont hesitate to post a reply on here as every modd needs the auidences help, even if you think that they don't need it, i think you would be pleasantly suprised how many modders apreciate other peoples ideas and comments, so please don't be shy people and get posting even if you think your idea won't count it may help some one here :)

10. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

I was thinking last night that i should really go and track down some white frosted Plexi Glass.
    So i had a hunt round today after course and found a place that supplied it, they gave me a sample piece that i think will do the gob, its a bit thick but they do have thinner pieces of course :)
    [​IMG]

11. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

I put the PSU back together to test it and great success :dremel:, running like a dream and verry quiet :D i'm happy with the results :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Now its time to see what the plexi glass looks like with the blue light?
    [​IMG]
    I think i'm a happy camper with that :baby: yeh!! :hip: although i think the thinner piece would probably look a bit better and molding would be alot easier other than that i'm stoked :D

Last edited: 18 Feb 2010
  13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Nice material :thumb:

14. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Thanx The_Beast i'm glad some ones watchin lol i caint wait to start getting that plexi in the PSU:D

15. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Looks like your off to a good start im gonna keep my eye on this subbed.:thumb:

This guide Published earlier this week may help you with your pictures, just a thought. Modd on :rock:

16. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

17. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

That case is looking pretty good!

I don't know if i understood properly, but if you just want to completely remove the p1 plug, it is safe to just chop it off and isolate the wires from each other. (In my project, I chopped all the wires off my psu leaving only the 12volt wires. Works like a charm :D)

I love the new look of your psu :thumb:

PimPin>PC likes this.
  18. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Ok great thanx for the advice i thought that might be the case + rep for you helping me out thanx again Bad_ cancer i will do that :D :thumb:

19. PimPin>PC

PimPin>PC NZ Modder

Righto i have now removed the P1 cable from the power supply the way that Bad_cancer suggested but have yet to test it , the less wires the better i say :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was also wondering if there was a tool i could buy to take these ones out as well?
    [​IMG]

20. unicorn13ocp

unicorn13ocp Staying sane inside Insanity

A psu modding tool kit similar to one listed here.

I had an AC Ryan psu mod kit, got the tools and the replacement molex parts, mesh tube plus heat shrink, was easy to use too. Saw similar kits on ebay too a while back.

regards
    Andy