1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Far Cry

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Feb 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

But, for the sake of all that’s green and geeky, why did Crytek throw those stupid mutants into the mix? - MY THOUGHS EXACTLY!
    The point where you encounter the mutants always ruin it for me!

3. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

I agree. They also did the same with crysis. Awesome game until the aliens came.

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I loved it, when i first got it i was amazed at the bright colourful world crytek had made compared to all the other shooters around. I was also dead chuffed at the hardware i could run it on. But yeah the aliens did spoil it !

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Played as far as where the mutants appear, kept getting killed by them... played something else.

Always keep meaning to go back and trying again, but never seem to get round to it.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I played the first three levels of FarCry and loved them, there was such potential. Then night came, and the trigens appeared, and I quit and played the first three levels again. It could have been fantastic, but it just wasn't.

Although multiplayer was alright, especially the little level with three islands and a speed boat. Running the speed boat up the beach right into Joe's happless soon-to-be-corpse was a particular personal highlight.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I remember playing it Up until the mutants came as well... then quitting after dying too often.
    Then, years later, i got as far as the HQ with the loads of guys and the seemingly endless upwards spiral... then i quit, uninstalled. Still have it sitting in the shelf since then.
    Funnily enough, though: I have FC2 as well... and while i played it for an hour or two, it's also just sitting there. Same with Crysis.
    Something tells me that Crytek games just aren't fun to me.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the trigens werent as fun as the mercs but I still had fun, the part where your dropped into the jungle with only 3 bullets was a pain but still I soldiered on like the awesome gamer I am and even finished it.

btw Doyle was the final boss :thumb:

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Far Cry is an excellent way to show how poor integrated graphics are on modern laptops. Last November a mate and I were playing Far Cry on our laptops. Mine is a 2004 model with a mobility Radeon 9600 and a 1400 x 1050 screen. His is a new laptop with a 1200 x 800 screen. Despite the higher resolutions my laptops could just run it at its native resolution with all the settings turned up. He had to run it with all the settings at low.
    How can a GPU that was mid range six years ago still out perform modern integrated graphics by such a margin? Shame on you Intel. Your GPU's are pants.

On a side note, I still really enjoy playing Far Cry. Though it looks a lot better on my desktop as that supports DX9c.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

completed it twice loved it to bits but did not enjoy the trigens especially the last level where there where loads of the big tough guys that you could not do much to was more of a run for luck than a skill issue there

11. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I played the demo and HATED the difficulty curve. I just couldn't hack it.

12. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :duh:

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I bought this in the Steam sales and still haven't had a chance to play it. Sigh...

14. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Everyone should own FarCry. Yes the mercs are far more fun than the mutants, but those ugly monkey suckers provide some of the best challenge ever to an FPS player (providing your playing it on hard, like you SHOULD BE).

FarCry's appeal for me was the same as the first FEAR game, just purely visceral, brilliant, brutal, constant, perfectly equipped first person shooting.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

amen to that, infact im going to go reinstall FEAR now.

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I've had much the same experience as many others here, it seems. Was really enjoying it until the jungle level with all those treetop walkways (if I'm remembering the right one, that is) when the trigens first appeared and beat the crap outta me a few times. Uninstalled shortly after as I never mustered the will to play it again. I don't know why, because normally when I find part of a game challenging I'll stick at it until I finish it, but that wasn't the case with Far Cry. I just sighed and thought, "well, the game's just going to be rubbish from here", while wishing the fun I had in the first part of the game could continue.

I loved FEAR for the same reasons, but could still never get on with Far Cry. Which is strange because every time I think of FEAR all I can remember is boring office buildings and dark corridors, while Far Cry was beautiful (at the time). The thing is, everything in FEAR worked well together, but those blasted Trigens ruined the flow of the game in Far Cry.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2010
  17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

when FEAR came out I downloaded the demo, started it, saw/heard the little girl, quit the game and uninstalled

:hehe: yeah I'm a *****

I did give FarCry a shot though but I was always very disappointed by the gameplay. The mouse just never felt right, as if it was faster horizontally than it was vertically (from what I remember anyway)

beautiful game back then though

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Loved FarCry, it was a seminal game for me.

Really enjoyed the free-roaming atmosphere, I didn't mind the trigen but I just couldn't do the very last bit (in the volcano against 5 or so brutes), so I had to cheat to get past that bit and finish the game.

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

whats the best old game that works with 3d vision?

20. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Personally it wasn't the mutants that put me off (they just made fighting the mercs more enjoyable), it was that bloody stupid 'no-guns' level. Trigens were tough enough, being forced to try and defeat them with no weapons was just a piss-take.

Tags: Add Tags