1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone hackers banned from App store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Feb 2010.

1. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Doesn't feel legit to me.

In the same way banks abuse their power over your bank account by 'automatically' taking away your money for infringements, when even though they provide your banking service, it's still your money, and if they want to take it away they have a legal requirement to have your permission (or a court order kinda thing).

This is the same, they shouldn't be able to unilaterally take away your stuff - shouldn't matter about any disclaimers and crap about them providing a service, common sense and so common law should dictate that its your stuff that you paid money for and they are not allowed to remove that from you without your permission OR a court order.

Would it be fair if you bought loads of clothes from topshop, one day stole something from there, and they took all the clothes you'd ever bought from there back? Of course not. And these guys haven't even stolen anything, I see hacking / jailbreaking as a good thing personally. It shouldn't be the crime to show off how to do the hack, but rather to perform the hack on your own device.

Like if I told people about an exploit on Modern Warfare 2 on a forum I shouldn't be banned, only the people who actually used that exploit should be.

However, I expect little more from Apple, they are amongst the worst for being nefariously corporate.

2. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

Apple behaving in a draconian manner? say it isn't so!

i hope this blows up in their face, their arrogance needs to be taken down a peg or two.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I don't think this is unreasonable or disproportionate on Apple's part. Console manufacturers tend to take a much firmer stance when it comes to circumventing protections against running unsigned/unauthorised code.

Whatever the intentions of the hackers originally were - whether it was purely curiosity, the desire to explore the hardware/software, deliberate attempts to circumvent in-built protection, etc - their exploits have allowed the use of pirated and unauthorised/unsigned software. This must be a breach of some kind of user contract/agreement, even if they didn't intend to start writing software to allow/enable piracy.

What would be a disproportionate response from Apple is if they were to ban everyone that has ever made use of the exploit (i.e. "jailbroken" their phone or iPod touch), as Microsoft recently did with Xbox Live. BIG FAT NOTE: That was not a dig at Microsoft, nor was it an attempt to ignite the willy-waving contest of Apple vs. Microsoft.

This argument is a false analogy. This argument implies that all people who have made use of the exploits would/should be banned - that is not the case.

Imagine that someone opened the back doors to the movie theatre and either let people in for free or let them bring in their own candy through this back door. Then you'd rightly expect the theatre to ban these people.

EDIT:

This is also a false analogy. Part of your contract/agreement with the bank is that you agree that the bank can impose these charges/penalties on you. You agree to these terms when you sign for the account.

This is not a direct attack at anyone specifically, but not enough people read and understand what they are actually signing up for. Guilty as hell of this myself, even though I work for a financial institution and should damn well know better.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2010
  4. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I don't get it, if they are so big into jailbreaking, why did they ever pay for any apps?

It's a little ironic for the people who create the hacks the pirates use to be the ones who buy all their apps legit.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

jailbreaking is not about pirating apps!

it's about expression of freedom, by jailbreaking, you can do SOOO much more on your iphone, pirating apps is just a negative side effect exploited by many.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Therefore a good enough reason for Apple to stamp it out.

7. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

phones shouldn't be 'locked' anyway

8. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

:( This is not good, i like hackers.

9. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

I know, heres an idea....
    Apple should keep the prices for the iPhone high, lock it to certain carriers, and charge to install apps that only they can approve.
    This way, only a certain few people will purchase the iPhone, keeping it out of reach to others.

Oh hang on, they do that anyway, their loss in more money if you ask me.

I use a PC, because Apples systems are still too expensive, I like the idea of a iPhone, but refuse point blank to pay for such a thing, I like Apple TV, but £400 for something which costs about $100 to manufacture is silly, Apple are jusy too greedy, let them get on with it, and hopefully open source systems will eventually end their "premium" domanance.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you cant just issue a patch to fix 1 thing that might break another, microsoft may take longer to fix thingsbut they have to fix it for a number of different computer types, all windows pc's are different, all macs are clones of each other, so dont have to take into account that freds graphics card/ soundcard processor may be different from johns.

slating microsoft for not releasing a patch is easy, but think about how you'd feel if microsoft release a patch, and it stops your machine from working but james down the road had no problems with the patch, microsoft have a lot more work to do that just release a patch.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

there is no security concern just a concern to their wallets.... ~_~

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

stamp jailbreaking out or unlocking? i replied to the comment about jailbreaking while the article and Apple's actions are on hackers who finds exploits in unlocking, it's two different things.

13. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I've always jailbroken my iphones, mainly due to the fact that it makes something you pay a couple hundred quid for useful. Lets face it, jailbreaking has two sides to the coin, like everything in this world, yes, its about freedom, your phone can suddenly look and be personalised, not a heap of ordinary unsatisfying boring metal that every schmuck now seems to be using, and the other side being suddenly you dont have to pay for any app.

Now once again in such a situation, if apple released a solution to allow the personalisation, and the non signing of apps then most of the jailbroken iphones out there would probably remain un-jailbroken. Mine i always unlock and jailbreak, allowing me to use sims abroad and have the ability to run programs like shells so i can update and manage websites remotely, run system explorers, use my iphone to ftp, upload/download, share files via bluetooth, run multiple apps, not use shitty safari, download youtube vids, offline maps, steam video content, the list goes on.

I could if i wished download almost any app for free, but i choose not to, i still buy my apps - maybe that i'm a mug, or perhaps i'm trying to do the decent thing, afterall ppl do work to make apps, and apples a **** by taking 30% of their money for having them in the appstore anyway! I love my phone, but gdamn i hate Apple.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Erm... Actually, the article talked about both...

;) :thumb:

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Soooo... wait a second. Apple denies them access to apps they bought legally?

Well done, two wrongs DO a right after all, I guess. :eyebrow:

16. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

TAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The people at Apple are funny lil' hellspawn creatures.

17. dec

dec [blank space]

cant they just get a new account or whatever and go back?

18. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

A good reason for apple to stamp pirating out YES, but Wuyanxu said jailbreaking NOT pirating! And he's right anyway it's about freedom of expression, you buy a phone for £200 or more and damn right you should be able to do and have whatever you want on the phone, why comply to some big corporations rules? If I bought something and it didn't do what I wanted it to do exactly how I want it to be done then I'd do something about it NO MATTER WHAT I'd have to do.

Exactly :rock:

@ Leveller: See what Puk above has said, he always jailbreaks his phone but note down everything in BOLD I've highlighted above! The most important 2 being he still buys his apps :thumb: and that he's trying to the decent thing so I'm 100% behind him and EVERYONE who chooses to modify their phone to get it working the way they want it to work, at least he still buys his apps and does the decent thing :clap:

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

"You two don't deserve to spend money in our store, shoo"

20. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

This is jailbroking an iphone:

You can blame Apple for encouraging it with their ads! :duh:

Tags: Add Tags