1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ launches budget SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Mar 2010.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my Samsung SSD has even slower read speed at 90MB/s, and yet it is able to boot, load all background programs (i have a lot, dont want to waste 8GB RAM) in under 30 seconds. so getting an SSD is definitely the way to go, even it looks slower.

does this one support TRIM? will there be a OCZ value drive at 128GB or above? im not very happy that this Samsung drive doesn't support TRIM and has this format bug.

2. dec

dec [blank space]

who cares about boot times? I wanna see it copy a thousand or so 5MB files with 5 one gig files being copied to another disk

3. rollo

rollo Modder

my old hd computer booted from turned off to win 7 workable and useable in 30 seconds give or take a second or so. And that had aload of crap installed on it.

my current ssd windows 7 boots in around 35 seconds (intel x-25m)

but its more for access times that ssd rules. load times for games drop in half in places. Thats its true power. Problem with something this small you wont fit anything on it

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Pah, 10-20 seconds less boot time for $100? I leave my PC on for a day to a week at a time, this is only 10-20 less seconds per day at best, 1.4-2.8 seconds per day at worst. Boot drive SSDs just make no sense to me, unless you're using a laptop with a 5,400rpm drive which you frequently turn on/off as you go, and for that application 32GB is usually too little unless you can fit another old school HDD in as storage. Once SSDs are reasonably priced and sized for use as game drives (128GB or more) then I might be interested. 5 seconds on a game's loading screen is percieved as a world of difference.

5. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

15 seconds boot time (from press on to internet/email) on my macbooc pro (snow leapard) with OCZ vertex SSD

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

interesting may get one (if uk price is reasonable) for a DB drive for testing

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I like the sound of this, however I have my 1TB drive in two partitions with my OS drive set at ~150GB (and I'm thinking of extending it to 200GB). That's pretty much all games as well, so I doubt I could manage with 32GB. Hopefully it'll start a trend though and we'll see larger and cheaper SSDs.

Anyway, reviews please.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's not only about boot times, all programs load instantly and there's no more hard drive clicking noise. only the boot time can be measured as all other operations are pretty short, but the difference can be felt, it's as clear as day and night.

i honestly don't see why none of the desktop users flock to buy SSD. it's the best thing since sliced bread. it is guaranteed to speed up the feel of your system.

speaking of games, i've put GTA4 onto my SSD and since then, i only see 2 or 3 loading images before getting into game, and there is zero blurry texture (streaming texture) even when driving at top speed. (on WD Black, those blurry texture are quite frequent when driving fast, and WD Black is fastest in access time) but yes, you would have to be selective about your games, can't just install Steam folder on the SSD and hope it will fit.

9. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

I bought an intel 40gb mainstream as the £99 price point was very tempting when I was making a new system. I can honestly say that this combined with 64bit W7 is a real massive improvement by leaps and bounds. I use a 1TB samsung for storage and this causes no problems, except for the noise of hard drives :)

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

28 replies, and NOBODY asked what controller is on this drive? That's the one and only thing i was curious to find out from this newsarticle, and it's not mentioned, and nobody seems to have thought to care. After all the mixed results with different controllers being the one and only deciding factor for performance, i´d have thought it would have gotten SOME attention at least. Ok, i'll ask:

Which controller is in this drive?

11. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Why would anyone even consider this drive with the Agility series drives offering better performance for the same stupid price?

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

+ 1 to Extrafresh and Trig.

All I want to know is: TRIM and what controller?

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Xtrafresh likes this.
  14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I can see it being useful as a boot drive on a laptop, as long as there's a HDD too to put the page file on and to store files.

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Probably because for home use the cost of changing to a SSD is hard to justify.

Whilst I would quite like a 128GB SSD as a boot drive on my main Core i7 PC I can't justify the cost, especially when that money could be put to better use changing my laptops HD for a SSD. Even then the extra few seconds it would save are simply not worth the cost (not to mention a massive drop in storage capacity - something critical as my laptop only has room for one HD).

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    No need.
    It is too expensive for the capacity
    or,
    It is too small for the price.

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

while I would love an SSD for my netbook since I can hear the HDD ticking all the time, I'd worry about page filing killing it. Interesting to see power draw too but I already get 6+ hours easily enough so it wouldn't be a huge advantage there. The only problem is the small memory, fair enough if you only use your portable device for basic stuff but throw on a few films or some music for when you on the go and thatll eat up all your storage. Unless you have some extrnal device or a home server to store your data, your probally better off with mechenical HDD in that situation.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

TBH the newest hard drives like my 1TB Samsung F3 are sufficiently quick and have a price that cannot be argued with. Also I don't have to worry about firmware or controllers.. blah blah. SSD's are just too expensive for what they are. Give it another year and maybe they will actually be worth considering.

19. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one thinking 4 of these drives in RAID0 would pwn?
    Even just two of them should see read speeds in excess of 300MB/s while giving you more usable space than a single drive.
    If I still had a desktop I'd be looking at RAID for sure. :)

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Wouldnt a Intel 80GB be better?

Tags: Add Tags